Thread: '56 Relic Middle P/U replacement

'56 Relic Middle P/U replacement

Hey folks,

I have a '56 CS Relic and I want to replace the middle P/U with a RW/RP so I can hum cancel in pos 2&4. I really like the Fender neck and bridge pups, so I just want to replace the middle. I am looking at a few different models:

1. Fralin Real 54
    2. SD Vintage staggered
    3. Dimarzio Class of '55
    4. Bare Knuckle Apache

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Forum Member

Re: '56 Relic Middle P/U replacement

Why not just get it rewound?

This is my opinion but I interact with several major brands of strat pickups on a daily basis.

To my ears, the pickup that captures the 50's strat tone is an Antiquity Texas Hot. An rwrp middle is offered for hum canceling in 2 and 4.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

How do I go about getting it re-wound? (who does a good job?) That would be the best sound wise since I do like the pup. How much does a rewind cost?

Forum Member

Rewinding is not the answer.

For two single coil pickups to cancel out each other's hum, one must be reverse wound AND have reverse magnetic polarity.

Reversing the winding is no big deal. Simply reverse the hot and negative leads, and, suddenly, the pickup is reverse wound. But it still has the incorrect polarity, which means it would be out of phase with the other pickup(s).

Ahhh, well back to square one of deciding which pup to replace it with. I will look into the SD antiquity, but I figured the Teaxas hot would be too hot to put with the Custom 50's that are in the axe now.

Forum Member

Make sure the pickup you use is RWRP with respect to your other pickups. There is no industry standard, here. Any given pickup maker will make a Strat pickup RWRP with respect to his own pickups, but this is no guarantee those pickups will be RWRP with respect to another manufacturer's pickups. Your best bet is to call the individual manufacturers. You might even try calling Fender, to see if they have one.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jim in texas
    This is my opinion but I interact with several major brands of strat pickups on a daily basis.

To my ears, the pickup that captures the 50's strat tone is an Antiquity Texas Hot. An rwrp middle is offered for hum canceling in 2 and 4.

I agree wholeheartedly, although those pickups are "hot." But they sound absolutely vintage and killer! Good call!