Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ever met a famous guitarist?

Forum Member

Re: Ever met a famous guitarist?

Quote Originally Posted by ragtweed View Post
    Oh, and Johnny Winter bumped into me last week after doing a show at the Turning Point in Piermont, NY. He can't really see anymore.
    I noticed that someone led him onto the stage and back off at the 2007 Crossroads festival. He kicked some ass when the music started, though.
    "I haven't slept for ten days...because that would be too long." -- Mitch Hedberg

My son sat behind Johnny Winter on a plane to NYC from Houston this past summer. He said Johnny was quiet, and nobody bothered him. The only thing my son remebered was that Johnny sent one of people on ahead to make sure they had a bunch on McDonalds cheeseburgers waiting for him when he got to whatever venue he was playing. And Johnny was taken off the plane in his wheelchair.
    Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
    --Albert Einstein

Met Sam Chatmon one time.

Bet no one here knows him without having to Google. ;)
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Okay, I googled him.

Certainly notable, but if I had to google him, does he still qualify as "famous?"

(Sort of puts that whole "fame" thing in perspective.)
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve View Post
    Okay, I googled him.

Certainly notable, but if I had to google him, does he still qualify as "famous?"

(Sort of puts that whole "fame" thing in perspective.)

At one time in the not so distant past, the Mississippi Sheiks were, indeed, "famous" and one of the most popular acts happenin'.

I was in awe of the guy chopping on his vintage 3/4 scale Martin and signing tunes from the '20's and '30's.
    Ayatollah of Dumbassollah

facebook: Stephen Doc Watson

Forum Member

Cyg,
    No scars, but I had to dodge a lot of spit! We were a punk band and didn't go over too well with the metal head types hanging out there that night. To make matters worse my V4 blew a filter cap during the sound check and I was forced to plug into the other guitar player's amp which was on the other side of the stage. Two guitars through one amp is nothing short of horrible. Before our set I approached Fast Eddie about borrowing an amp, but he flat out refused. Aside from the technical difficulties (and saliva) we did a pretty good show.

BTW: Sam Chatmon is famous in my book. Jack Owens too.

Does Andy Summers count?

A friend told me this story on the weekend.

He met Stevie Ray Vaughan in a bar, before he was really really big. He said to himself that he was gonna talk to him but NOT do the same stupid fan thing such as "Hey man, I REALLY LOVE your music!" He decided he was gonna ask a serious question.

So he sidles up to the bar, introduces himself, and asks "Hey, you play with pretty high action and very heavy strings. I heard that causes intonation problems. How do you take care of that?"

SRV barely looks up and explains that he really doesn't know. He doesn't get involved in all that stuff. He has a tech taking caring of it

My friend, feeling like a dork, goes with plan B and responds, "Hey man, I REALLY LOVE your music!"
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation."