Thread: Plunge or Standard Routers?

Plunge or Standard Routers?

What is a better router to buy for guitar making? A plunge model or the standard? Anyone have an opinion?

Re: Plunge or Standard Routers?

I have both but the plunge router is the one I use most often. A nice routing table is a good investment as well. Be sure to get a router that accepts 1/2" shaft vice the 1/4". Spend the little extra money on the good quality plunge one and youll be happy. Theres nothing more discouraging than being on that last route, and having your bit go straight through the body because the "bargain good deal" router ya got had a collet that worked itself loose.. not that it ... umm.. happened to me or anything.

And dont skimp on the bits either.. man alive.. itll pay off in the long run.. trust me..

A plunge can perform both functions. Winner: plunge
    A 1/2 collet can use a reducer to take advantage of both 1/2 & 1/4 bits. Winner: 1/2

I personally have a Porter-Cable that has multiple bases but I always leave the plunge base on - unless I mount the motor in the table. Take Al's advice about the bits also. Buy the best cutter you can afford. It will save you much aggravation (and money) in the long run. And the long run's what it's all about. :yay

I'll take the opposite tac. Having been a woodworker for well over 25 years, and a hobyist luthier for almost as long, I'd rather spend my money on the best non-plunge router I can find. I can make any cut just as accurately with a standard router as a plunge. It takes practice, but so does everything else in life.
    A friend in need is a good reason to screen your calls.

And there you go.

Decision: Anthony

[QUOTE=telecast]I'll take the opposite tac. Having been a woodworker for well over 25 years, and a hobyist luthier for almost as long, I'd rather spend my money on the best non-plunge router I can find. I can make any cut just as accurately with a standard router as a plunge. It takes practice, but so does everything else in life.[/QUOTE

Well I'm with telecast on this one..

Some more info for you Anthony

I have the Porter-Cable (690 series) mentioned in that article. I've actually had two of them. A great value, IMHO. They give you the best of both worlds - a fixed base (when appropriate) and a plunge base (when appropriate).

Decison: Anthony. Still.

I still think that just starting out, your going to get more bang for the buck with a plunge. Each would work for what you want to do, and I have used both, but I have always been more comfortable with the plunge base. Actually i think the Richard there presents the best option to go with... Id say you couldnt go wrong with that one.

Ok. What about other tools? What is essential for guitar-making?

What kind of guitar do you want to make?

I do mostly solid body stuff, but have done a couple acoustics as well. Here are some I use pretty regularly in my shop, Im sure the rest o the bunch will fill in anything I miss.. but.. some of what I consider essential..

A good quality band saw.. I built mine from a design my grandfather made.. better than anything I could have bought..

A planer.. mines a 13" .. wanted a bigger one but they get pricey

A jointer if your planning on putting together body blanks yourself

A level sander / surface sander.. I got away with not using one for quite awhile.. but I really like the results I get.. maybe not essential.. but handy. Prior to it I just hand sanded the blanks after I put em through the planer.

Some non essential but handy..
    Spindle Sander..
    Drill press..
    belt sander..
    Table saw..

Some hand planers are good..

That pretty much scratches the surface though I would say. Everyone is going to have thier own take on what is needed though.. keep that in mind. There are a ton of different ways to skin a cat..

in the end though... you still end up with a skinless cat..

although not sure why you would want one..