Thread: HELPP what pups to get??

Forum Member

HELPP what pups to get??

Hey guys,
    Im new to the boards and Ive been reading alot lately on refinishing my guitar and in a sort of way updating it a bit. I just took my guitar apart today and began the stripping process. Its a black 95 Mexican Strat and im hoping on using the supplies from ReRanch to paint it Daphne Blue...im still in the phase of picking the exact color though.

My question was more about the pups. I really dont like the ones i have on now because 1) they dont feel at all powerful 2) every time i adjsut the volume or tone i get this awful cracking sound.

So I was wondering if anyone would give me suggestions as to what pickups are quality ones. I'm looking for a more Jazz/Blues tone but i wouldnt mind being able rip out some heavy metal stuff through the strat.

I was thinking about a set of EMG's because i know the brand and because i figured if they were very powerful i could make some adjustments on my amps setting and get the bluesy tone and then also be able to pull off some nice heavy riffs.

Cliffs notes:
    Want to get new pups.
    Looking for Jazz/Blues tone.
    Wouldn't mind to be able to play metal stuff aswell.

Thanks,
    shant

Re: HELPP what pups to get??

First of all, powerful p'ups do not lend themselves well to jazz and blues. A big part of the jazz/blues tone comes from using weaker p'ups and pushing the amp harder to get the sound. High output p'ups get very distorted, very quickly because they push the pre-amp in your amplifier. Very often, the hotter a p'up gets, the more tonal character it loses due to distortion in the amp. On the plus side, High output p'ups will "cut" better than weaker ones when using a lot of gain. The trade-off is tone. It sounds to me like you need a second guitar. The Strat you now have will cover blues and jazz with no problem and the crackling you're hearing is a dirty volume pot, not the p'ups.
    You need to get a second guitar with humbuckers in it and set it up for metal if that's what you really want. I have 12 guitars and not one of them will go from jazz to metal effectively.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

hehe, I do have another guitar. I have a Gibson Explorer which I use for the metal that I play but i figured maybe i could get the same tone out of the fender.

So ok, drop the whole Blues/Jazz > Metal idea. What pickups would you reccomend to get a nice Blues/Jazzy tone??

Honestly, any high quality p'up set is going to sound good for blues/jazz. The stock Fender p'ups sound real good and any of the low to medium output aftermarket p'ups will sound great too. Personally, I like Kinmans. They're expensive, but they sound great and they're noiseless.

How about a Fat Stat setup with a bucker in the bridge?
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

I've read about Kinmans before on this site and i took a look at them...any certain ones that you find good. There are a bunch of different ones on the site and its pretty much confusing to me. I read about the different pickups but obviously they are going to be pretty much biased.

About the Fat Strat setup...im not up for routing out my guitar and I want to stick with the more vintage look.

I have Kinman AVn62 Blues and AVn69 Woodstocks and I really dig them both. Great sound, nice even string balance, they handle over drive very well, and they're noiseless.

Forum Member

They are noiseless and get a lot of praise for sounding true to vitnage. BUt they have a heafty price tag. WHat is your budget? Bob, everyone is also talkin about the new Kinman mk-11.

This is a wide open subject. But can narrow easily if you want to pay the $ and insist on noiseless. Kinman is a cool guy and obsessed with getting good vintage tone and being noiseless!

They're worth it for my money.

fezz parka

Shanter, for what you're looking for, I'd try a set of Fender CS Fat 50's or Fralin Blues Specials. These have just enough beef without messing with what makes a Strat sound like a Strat. The Fender can be picked up for around $130, the Fralins for around $220. Both are outstanding pickups. If you want to go the noisless route (not my preference), the Kinmans get as close as a noiseless pickup can get to a single coil sound while bucking the hum.:yay

Forum Member

Bucking the hum? Wouldn't that make it a humbucker? :lol

fezz parka

That's exactly what they are. There's two coils there...

Forum Member

I know. Just giving you a hard time. I honestly wouldn't know how else they would be noiseless. As far as I know, every single single-coil noiseless pickup out there (whether they are Duncan rails, VN, Kinmans, etc...) has *2* elements canceling the noise from one another.

Unless I'm wrong...?

Forum Member

oh wow thanks for all the replies. i took a look at the kinmans and from what i read about them seem to be pretty nice. i would prefer the noiseless pickups aswell.

I still havent taken a look at Fender CS Fat 50's or Fralin Blues Specials so i will get to that now.

At first I was planning on only spending the 200 for the Emg's so im still kinda iffy about going any higher for this guitar. I saw the kinmans go for around 260 or so. Is that the price you guys are talking about?

Also do these pickups come with new volume pots and such because as stated before by Tele-Bob i have dirty volume pots. If not, then how would i go about cleaning them or shoudl I jsut get new ones?

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

I'd replace the pots. Hey, not to throw a wrench in this, but have you considered the Fender CS Texas Specials? They may have the output you desire, plus they seem to handle the high gain very well. They will also give you a very nice 'vintage' sound simply by lowering them close to pickguard height.
    They aren't noiseless, but they are inexpensive. They are my favorite fender pickup. :2c
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

Forum Member

shanter, I'd suggest maybe getting the solderless kit with the Kinmans. I'm currently waiting for my kit to get to me, but when I start playing with it, I'll post a review of both the good and the bad (if there are any bad points).

I've never played a guitar with Kinman pickups in my life, but it's rare to find only raving reviews of a given product. I'd suggest looking at different Strats and playing them and finding one you really like the sound of, then ask which pickups are in there. Since the Fender pickups are already in a Fender Strat, it would be faster and easier way of knowing which sound pleases you the most.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by Strat-Mangler
    ...but it's rare to find only raving reviews of a given product.
    There are a few posts around that have a different opinion of them. And they're not all just me.

I did just what Strat-Mangler suggests when looking for a Tele pickup. It was surprising how hard it was to get info like that from sales dudes in most shops.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

fezz, I should have phrased it slightly differently. I should have written "almost only positive reviews..." I don't know what to expect in relation to the Kinman pickups. I just got a notice in the mail stating they've arrived at my post office, so I'll probably pick them up in the next couple of days.

NeoFauve, that's why this forum exists. Incompetent salespeople are just too frustrating to deal with. We have enough gearheads here to tell you which pickups are which on this or that model... most of the time. :)

Forum Member

The whole salesman thing is exactly why i asked you guys. I want to get a nice set of pickups without wasting money and dealing with BS.

cooltone, i did sort of consider the Fender CS Texas Specials. If i remeber correctly those are the ones on the SRV strat. John Mayer uses them and he's one of my favorite guitarists, I dont really denote him as someone with an amazing guitar sound but his type of music (not studio recorded stuff, the live stuff) is the type i like to play. He throws alot of blues in his contemporary style songs which i really enjoy. Just looked it up...they run for about 120...not sure if thats retail though.

http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/webpa...x?webpage_id=1
    dont know if anyone has seen this before...its a bunch of recording of different pickups...

I think i may be visiting GC and checking out some pickups and playing some strats...

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    I have 12 guitars and not one of them will go from jazz to metal effectively.
    i have to say that mine can do a decent jazz,blues and metal tone with the SCN,SCN,DH-1 setup with the S-1 switch. i know a lot of people knock the SCNs but i find that once adjusted right theyre fine pickups if you can deal with the slight compression they have. To that end shanter..i suggest you go to a place that has a new fender american deluxe strat or any other guitar with the SCN pickups and give em a try. if u like them u can find them around as many people dont like them and are looking to swap.

There's a simple saying that sums it up nicely for me:
    "Jack of all trades, Master of none." You can get one guitar to cover all styles to a certain extent (my Carvin DC127T is one of these), but to have a guitar that really excels in a particular style, you need to start specializing. Nothing does a Strat sound like a Strat or a Paul sound like a Paul; there's just no getting around it.

Right on woodeye01. That's why I ahve so many guitars and amps. I dig a lot of different sounds and like nothing more than "the real deal" whenever I can get it!

i definitely agree with you guys on the certain tone from certain axes.but, if i need something to mimic a bunch of sounds and get away with it...thats fine. besides, i cant afford a lot of guitars!

Forum Member

OK for some of these pickups that arent 'noiseless' how bad is the hum?

The pickups that i have currently in my fender buzz so bad when i have even a little amount of distortion. Thats the main reason why i might go for the noiseless. If its a slight hum them i really dont care too much but if its a loud BUZZZZZ at the same volume of the string's output then its just annoying...

i havent gotten a chance to go check out some pickups yet.

Forum Member

Depends on the location some players here honestly don't care and will just turn around until there's a spot that buzzes less. Some pickups buzz less than others, but they're pretty much all around the same amount of buzzing.

Noiseless pickups, however, all exhibit different amount of buzzing. I'm still waiting for my Kinmans, so it may take a while before I can give you a review, but from what I hear, they eliminate 99% of all buzzing.

I love playing my Tele at gigs, but some of the places I play are simply too noisey for the Tele, so I always have my Strat with Kinmans in tow just in case.

Shant....in your original post I think you had the right idea. If you are looking for noisless and "vintage" tone (which varies from person to person) give the EMG-SV's a good hard listen. Excellent pickups. For versatile...check out the EMG DG-20 set...there are LOTS and LOTS of different sounds available from "regular" single coil sounds up to "kick the crap outta the front end of your amp" sounds. The DG-20 will handle anything from surf to hard rock....really good for "heavy blues".

I own 3 strats. One has the DG-20,one has the SV set and the latest has CS Texas Specials. Love all 3. The CS Texas Specials are a little mid heavy to me ears but sound great, just different.

Listen to as many different brands and models as you can and get what gives you the sound you are looking for. There are LOTS of excellent pickups out there by some really great pickup makers. One of them will be able to fix ya up! :)

Good luck
    Rick C. Old Geezer
    Wherever You go...There You Are.

Forum Member

ok so heres what happened.
    yesterday i went to GC and played a few strats and i got to hear some pickups. I tried out the 50th anniversary with the custom shop 54 pups. After i played the first note i fell in love with them. I didnt necessarily notice a bizz while clean or distorted but i guess because i didnt have it turned up very loud.

My question here is. Is most of the sound from the setup of this guitar/Wood used or will my guitar sound as nice if I throw the 54's on mine?

-shant

Quote Originally Posted by shanter
    ok so heres what happened.
    yesterday i went to GC and played a few strats and i got to hear some pickups. I tried out the 50th anniversary with the custom shop 54 pups. After i played the first note i fell in love with them. I didnt necessarily notice a bizz while clean or distorted but i guess because i didnt have it turned up very loud.

My question here is. Is most of the sound from the setup of this guitar/Wood used or will my guitar sound as nice if I throw the 54's on mine?

-shant
    Those are nice pickups. They sound even better when you lower them from factory spec. You're also hearing an ash/maple guitar. Only if you install them can you really tell if they're a good match with your wood, but, yes, you can expect crystal clear sound and low output. And hum, if you've got the gain going.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Forum Member

Awesome. I'm excited now!!

All I need to find now are new Volume pots...i cant find them on the Fender website...and i forgot to look at GC...would they have them there?? \
    I figured if im gonan fix up the strat why not go all the way with it. Not ALL the way...but enough for my budget..hehe

Forum Member

Now, aren't you happy you listened to me? :)

I believe ToneMonkey has the 54's in his black Strat. I could be confusing them with the Fat 50's, though.

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

Nope, no confusion on your part SM. I do have the custom '54s, and frankly why anyone would need a fatter pickup escapes me. There's not a lot of volume, but there is a load of tone and Kap'n is right, lower them until they sound alive.

They're bright but not at the expense of any other tonal flavours, and the bridge pickup has a fatness and sweetness that escapes pretty much every other pickup I have ever heard, I can't use that position on most strats, and with this set I hang out there a lot.

I can't tell you if they'll suit your axe, but I'd have a good bet that they will flatter most strats. Give them a try, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

It does not make seanse to me to put $250.00 pickups in your guitar. Most people will be against this idea, but for Jazz and Basic blusey tones you can pickup the Fender Vinatge Noiseless kit for 1/3 of the price of Kinmans. They would not sound like Kinmans but they are still good and noiseless. Many peole compalin about the tone but I have found out that they did not change POTs as per Fender requirments and second hey had not lowered the pickups enough.

GKR

south of something, north of somewhere, west of over there and just to the east of where I left my sanity. Right where I wanna be. Chunga chunga it's the sland!

I have to say I disagree. The Fender noisless pickups, whilst being noiseless, do not to my ears sound anything like how I want a strat to sound. Bear in mind that these are one of the few pickups that didn't see time in my guitar, mainly because of the fact that in axes where they are fitted as stock, so the ones fender has put the right pots on, they sounded nothing but one dimensional, un dynamic and compressed. I'm glad you like them Great King Rat, somebody has to I suppose, but for me they did not suit at all.