Thread: Fretboard Spending Spree

Fretboard Spending Spree

I took my Strat to a tech to get a new bone nut put in. After I got it back he pointed out to me what I already knew--that I really need the first three frets redone. Heavy playing has worn them down. Well since I have a 62 reissue the frets are terribly small and I've always liked larger frets--medium Jumbos maybe. Well if I'm going to pay for a refret I may as well do something else I've been thinking of. Maybe have my radius changed from 7.25" to 9.5" to make bending a little easier since I'm a blues player and all. So now I'll need the the fretboard refinished, and new inlays put in too. Lord! Funny how a few worn down frets can turn into a big spending spree. How much do you think would this cost?

Forum Member
    You probably won't need new dots. On that radius change, unless the neck was made poorly or has serious defects to be levelled out or the tech overzealously levels it, the dots should be thick enough.

If it is a maple board, yes you'll need to respray the board. ASk around, see who's good in your area. Expect a ballpark between $250 and 300 for maple. Go by quality or work, not by price. You don't want to be disappointed or have to do it again.

Good luck. Righteous fretwork is a joy in everyway. Have the uberguitar of your dreams!

Forum Member

Re: Fretboard Spending Spree

Originally posted by Garage_Studios
    I took my Strat to a tech to get a new bone nut put in. After I got it back he pointed out to me what I already knew--that I really need the first three frets redone. Heavy playing has worn them down. Well since I have a 62 reissue the frets are terribly small and I've always liked larger frets--medium Jumbos maybe. Well if I'm going to pay for a refret I may as well do something else I've been thinking of. Maybe have my radius changed from 7.25" to 9.5" to make bending a little easier since I'm a blues player and all. So now I'll need the the fretboard refinished, and new inlays put in too. Lord! Funny how a few worn down frets can turn into a big spending spree. How much do you think would this cost?
    Have you considered buying a new neck instead? Lentz makes his with the 9.5 inch radius.

Yes, I've thought about buying a new neck, but my guitar's body and neck is BEAUTIFULLY "fotoflamed" and the guitar just wouldn't look right without it. I love the way the neck feels anyway, I'm just tired of notes choking out. I figured I'd just take it to the same guy who installed my bone nut and tell him what I want and to treat it like it was his own. I wouldn't mind paying more for the extra mile.

Forum Member
    well first off id like to say that yes i would go with fender medium jumbo frets, i love them they aren't to big but aren't to small, the jumbo frets are hard to chord and tire my hands out, to tall also, the med-jumbos are perfect great for chording and lead playing, im getting a JV strat soon and thats whats on it i would seriously consider looking into just getting a whole new neck? also what did you pay for the whole guitar when you got it??

Forum Member
    fotoflame? That's dumpster material!
    greg

PLEK... The perfect fret job....

Don't go run out and spend a mint on a fret job. Sheck out the www.plek.com machine. This machine analyzes your neck with the strings on... then automatically does the fret dressing unaided by human hands. Think of .001" accuracy for the perfect neck feel. The machine can also make short work of fixing the warp in the neck you loved so much and couldn't throw away. If you want a guitar that has dressed frets better than human hands can do... sheck out the PLEK... I did and I luv's what it did for my Honduran Rosewood Warped neck... Not only are the frets dressed the intonation is better !
    Last edited by rdavis81; 01-30-2003 at 04:03 PM.