Thread: Ideas on setting tone controls on amp?

Ideas on setting tone controls on amp?

I have been playing for quite awhile but it always takes me awhile to tweak in the sound of a new amp when I buy one. I quess it takes me awhile to get use to the difference in tone and the workings. Any suggestions on tweaking the tone controls. I just bought a New pro Reverb amp if that helps.
    Last edited by Boogie; 10-09-2002 at 03:37 PM.

I find it hard to tweek an amp while I'm playing through it. If you have a friend who plays guitar let him play your guitar through your amp. Now sit across the room and listen, then go over to your amp and adjust. Go back across the room, listen, and adjust until satisfied.

Forum Member
    Set them straight up at noon. Get some volume on that thing, gig volume. Play yer guitar, but get away from it, get as far as you can. Go back to it and start taking out what there is too much of, remembering that when you stand right in front of it it is not the same as the crowd will hear. Also keep in mind that what you hear may not match what you think you are seeing on the knobs. Don't let them guide you, let what you hear guide you. Keep at it, use all of your guitars if you have more than one. It'll come pretty fast if you stay with it.
    --
    rct

The opinions above are mine and mine alone.

Never mind. I took the amp back and got a Mesa Boogie F series that I like much better. It was easy to get a good tone on it and it comes with a good manual that has plenty of sample settings. Fender manuals have a lot to be desired.