Thread: i love the JJ 6L6GC's!!

Forum Member

i love the JJ 6L6GC's!!

i was retubing my BF super reverb which had sylania 6l6gc in it which were rattling. so i replaced them with some early nos ge 6l6gc's i had and the tone got alot smaller to my ear and they were set up as follows 35 ma's and pv 460.i did'nt like them at all.

then i put some JJ 6l6gc in which were set up cold (30 ma's and pv 470) i ran out of range on the bias pot! but the sound was big like the sylanvia and the break up was real nice and throatie.tell me what you guy's like for new 6l6gc tubes?

i really like these jj 6l6gc tubes!! chris

Forum Member

Re: i love the JJ 6L6GC's!!

I just ordered some for my Reissue and my expectations are rather high. I've been reading about these tubes for the past couple of weeks and nobody has been able to tell me anything negative about them.

I found out that they are used for high-end audio stereo amps as well. That would make sense.

I ordered JJ 6L6GC and four JJ ATX12 (called EC883S or something). Can't wait to try them. As I explained in another thread, the bundled finished GT tubes were absolute crap, making the amp sound as bad as a Peavey Rage (worth $100, tops). No joke. I switched the power tubes for completely finished Sovteks I had in my closet and it was night & day (in a good way!). So... having said that, I can't wait for my JJs to come in. :)

Good to hear it. My 68 SF Pro Reverb has Peavey labelled Sylvania STR387s, (6L6GC). They're biased at 32mA w/ 460Vp. I really like the JJ 6V6GTs I put in my Weber Tweed clone so I may try a set of JJ 6L6GCs in the PR.

TT
    Last edited by Tele-Tubby; 03-27-2005 at 12:14 PM.
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Forum Member

By the way, can you tell me how you can reach the bias pot and how to bias the SRRI?

Thanks!

Forum Member

well mine is a real 1966 bfsr, you have to pull the chasis out to bias. if you dont have any expierence with this its best left to a go tech!

chris

I have less headaches and returns with jj than any other brand. They're solid as a rock.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by afenderman67
    well mine is a real 1966 bfsr, you have to pull the chasis out to bias. if you dont have any expierence with this its best left to a go tech!

chris
    Chris, isn't your bias adjustment pot on the bottom of the chassis, just behind the PT? With a Weber bias-rite or something similar you should be able to adjust bias without pulling the chassis.

Forum Member

that's correct, i dont have weber bias rite but i'm looking to buy one if anyone is selling one with the vi option

chris

Forum Member

:wah

All of this is Greek to me.

I wish there was a tutorial somewhere for me to read and learn from. Going to a tech will just waste my money and won't learn anything from it.

Going to a tech may prevent you from receiving a fatal electric shock, which I wouldn't consider a waste of money. ;)
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chaz498
    Going to a tech may prevent you from receiving a fatal electric shock, which I wouldn't consider a waste of money. ;)
    chaz makes a great point...if you don't know what you're doing, either take it to a tech or find a reliable source and learn how to bias it yourself.
    But don't experiment!

:dead

Strat-mangler, do you have a meter capable of milliamp measurement? If so there is a quick procedure for biasing but it does require pulling the chassis out at least far enough to gain access to the sockets.

If you are unsure of your skills it is better to find a tech that will show you how to do it. You can be killed dead instantly if you make mistakes around 450+Vdc. No time for "oops maybe I shouldn't have done that" or "damn that smarts." I mean lying on the floor chewed on by the cat till they find you dead.

Better safe than ....

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Forum Member

so other 6l6gc do you guy's like? anyone want to sell a bias rite?

chris

I'm running Winged C's in my HRDx right now and they're pretty cool. I definitely like them better in that amp than the Sylvanias, and probably even the GE NOS. My RCAs are the vbest though, but the Winged C's approach that same sound.

I still need to try out the JJs and the TAD's that everyone is talking about.
    Like Rainman... only not as well adjusted

I've been impressed with the JJ power tubes I've tried--6L6GC and 6V6S. I've found their preamp tubes, on the other hand, to be okay. They're different, but then again I was comparing their 12AX7 to a Telefunken, and their 12AT7 to a Mullard. It's hard to hold your own against those.
    Justin

"Music without emotion is noise."

Have you tried the TADs yet Justin?

Also, I sent you an email with a question.

TT2
    Like Rainman... only not as well adjusted

Forum Member

The JJ's [or Harma ] as I buy them over here, are certainly my favourite 6L6 on balance.
    I've tried the TAD 6L6WGCs, which are also stunning tubes, but I always come back to the JJs.
    I also favour the JJ ECC83s [or Harma STR selected varients] in the pre amp. Some folks find them a little dark...but not me ;)
    It obviously all depends on the sound you're after... but if you're trying to persuade a Fender HRD to sound a little closer to the vintage "tweed" amps it's loosly derived from, the JJ's will get you closer than anything else in my experience.

Forum Member

I bought my HRDX 6 months used and originally was blown away by it's over powering sound. Then I found the Unofficial Hot Rod Deluxe site and started to read about biasing; thanks Justin.
    I bought a multimeter and found my amp set at 59 mV, set the bias to 68 mV and that made what I thought was a huge difference. The bass still semed overpowering though and after cranking it one day a preamp started to rattle. So I contacted Bob at EuroTubes told him where my bias dial was set at approx. 01:00 position and reading 68mV. When ordering the JJ 6V6 and EC83S's he had the power tubes graded at #35 based on where I was dialed in, when installed the amp required minimal adjustment to read approx. 38 mV. I did adjust the bias a little higher and lower but that seems like a good spot for this amp.
    Did these tubes make a difference? I did alot of switching between the groove and JJ tubes before making an opinion. The 83S's were a slight improvement but the 6V6 for sure. It took the bass and tightened it up, really the entire sound has improved, best change I could have done. After about a month I switched by to the 6L6 GT and they really do suck for sound, you gotta try it to believe it. Still undecided about the amp though pretty hissy with gain up and it flutters on one note on the D string at the 12th fret almost sounds like it's from the power switch area

TT2: No, I haven't tried the TADs yet. I'm rather poor and my mother says I have enough tubes already! lol

Guitarzan, thanks. I'm still using my JJ 6V6s and haven't looked back. They both brighten up this dark amp, and cut down on the bass. Exactly what mine needed. It's nice to play out and set the volume on 12 too, then just control everything with the guitar's volume control. Is that a lost art or what? BTW, glad to have you guys here.
    Justin

"Music without emotion is noise."