Thread: Lonestar Tuning Problems w/Whammy

Forum Member

Lonestar Tuning Problems w/Whammy

Mine, a '99 maple neck, always comes back sharp. I had a roller nut installed which helped a little. Any one else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Ken

Its all in the setup and adjustments and proper lubrication.

Be sure all contact points of where the strings pass are lubricated.

I like the trem to return to the body as its resting point. This way it actually lays on a solid surface instead of floating in mid air. Its much more stable that way.

Check the string trees make sure there isnt any binding there be sure they are lubed chapstick works good on the string trees. Lube where each string touches the saddle the nut and string trees and see what happens.

I agree with Marcondo. I don't like a "floating" trem either, so I have mine set up to come back to the body of the guitar. However, if you do like a floating trem, another option is to install a Tremsetter. They work pretty well at bringing the guitar back in tune, even after doing a bit of 'deep diving'. Not sure what the price is on them, but your local guitar shop can tell you.

Forum Member
    Or have it set up correctly. A properly set up Strat whammy maintains it's tuning well when floating. The spring tension must equal the string at pitch tension.
    The Sun don't shine, the Moon don't move the tides to wash me clean..

Forum Member
    Thanks guys. I'll try all the above, strting from the simplest. I'll look into the Tremsetter.

Ken

If you actually USE the bar, then the trem setter sucks. It puts an ungodly amount of tension on the bridge. If you are one of those guys who reaches for the bar when you run outa ideas then it's fine. The trem bridge is only as stable as the setup. Plenty of cats use vintage style trems that float with no tuning problems. I'm one of them. I can pull up a #4th or 5 frets(on the open G string) on my main guitar and it's got 2 springs in it. Of course it was built and set up by former Fender Masterbuilder Gene Baker........

Put either Candlewax or Carmex in the nutslots.

It could be as simple as a setup or properly stretching the strings. My bridge is also flush with the body on all my Strats.

Stretching the strings is very important. I keep on pulling and tugging on them until the stay in pitch. This process could take 15 minutes at the least. When I get to a gig, I stretch them again for insurance. My strings hardly ever go out of tune!

Originally posted by Burn Barrel
    If you actually USE the bar, then the trem setter sucks. It puts an ungodly amount of tension on the bridge. If you are one of those guys who reaches for the bar when you run outa ideas then it's fine. The trem bridge is only as stable as the setup. Plenty of cats use vintage style trems that float with no tuning problems. I'm one of them. I can pull up a #4th or 5 frets(on the open G string) on my main guitar and it's got 2 springs in it. Of course it was built and set up by former Fender Masterbuilder Gene Baker........

Put either Candlewax or Carmex in the nutslots.
    Nope, I totally disagree. I've had a tremsetter on my '70s RI Strat for about 2 years now, and it works to perfection every time.

Originally posted by Drumbeater

Nope, I totally disagree. I've had a tremsetter on my '70s RI Strat for about 2 years now, and it works to perfection every time.
    What demands are you putting on the whammy bar?

Admittedly not a terrific amount as I don't use it all the time by any means. But when you want to do some of the Hendrix stuff, you've got to do some deep diving on it, and it comes back up every time without fail. Most of the time, I'm playing blues, so the bar just gets to sit there and look pretty. It's nice to know I have the capability though, and before I put the tremsetter on, when I tried the deep diving stuff, it went out of tune everytime. It was set up as a floater perfectly by my tech, but it went out badly anyway. Since the setter went it, no problems at all. I wouldn't have a floating trem without a tremsetter installed.
    With my other Strat, I laid the trem down flat on the body as it is used very rarely.