Thread: Build Your Own Tele

Build Your Own Tele

I was thinking for fun I would build my own tele from miscellaneous parts (off ebay. probably). Buy everything separate: Neck, Body, Electronics, etc.

Has anyone ever tried this? What problems did you find? Was it worth it? Any feedback would be appreciated. :spin

Forum Member

Re: Build Your Own Tele

Hi Anthony, I've built two of them that way and I like them both.
    I snagged some of the parts from the 'Fir Sale' sections on different boards, but both bodies are USACG swamp ash. One is a three piecer and the other is a center joined 2 piece.
    Would have been cheaper to buy a MIM after adding up all the parts, but it is a hobby also, one that gets under your skin. I only intended to build the first.

If I were starting off today, I'd be looking for a loaded body probably, buying one already finished with most of the parts already mounted is the cheapest and fastest way IMO. Also, unless you're handy with finishing (spraying either lacquer or poly and all that goes with it) your choice of finish becomes more limited, and gettting professional results first time out depends on your abilities and luck.

You got a particular year of Tele in mind you'd like to recreate or a custom Tele nobody offers?

I was looking for a somewhat customized tele. I want a humbucker at teh neck and single coil at the bridge. Other than that, nothing special. I an interested in the challenge. It is a hobby after all, no?

The Tele is designed for this. It's the ultimate hot rod guitar.

I built one using all brand new parts. USA Cgustom Guitars body and neck, Fender '52 re-issue hardware, Stew Mac compensated saddles (soon to be replaced with Calaham saddles) and Seymour Duncan pickups (soon to be replced with Fralins.

It's not necessarily a way to save money (experimanting with different detail parts and pickups is expensive), but you can end up with all the features you like.

You'll have lots of fun.

I've done some refinishing/restoring and I'm in the process of building my first Tele style (and not last ;) ) from all new parts. I'm doing a 60-63 Surf Green replica. The design is simple and the availability of soooo many parts options lends itself to customizing. Like Don and Auger said, It's not the cheapest way to go but you get to build it the way you want it, can make changes easily and it's very fun and satisfying to do (and very addictive ).

Check out the ReRanch web site and Forum. You can get a lot of info and advise there from simple assembly from parts to a complete custom build from scratch. This is where I caught the bug, they have a support group there called the GRA (Guitar Refinishers Anonymos) ;) . Like I said, it's addictive
    when the goin' gets tough, listen to some purdy music

Hi Anthony!
    Here's my experience so far: I put together a Telecaster HS emulator (the Tele HS is part of Fender's present line up
    http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=0118662725, and it will run you $799.00 from GuitarTrader).
    I got the following parts from ebay:
    - body: candy apple red 1997 Caifornia Fat Tele;
    - neck: 2003 American Tele maple/maple;
    - neck p'up: Gibson 490R, new with 4-conductor wire;
    - bridge p'up: Seymour Duncan STL-1b Vintage 54 for Tele;
    All other parts (Gotoh six saddle bridge, 3-ply all black pickguard, 2 CTS pots, 500 K, one push-push and the other one regular, capacitor, copper foil, CRL 3-way switch, standard Tele knobs, and Schaller straplocks) I got from Warmoth.
    Overall, I spent about $700, but I have the satisfaction of playing "MY" axe, in the sense that every single component was selected by me with a specific purpose in mind.
    I think I lucked out with this one. She looks very pretty to me & I LOVE the way she plays. She sounds like a Tele should, but she can also sound Les Paulish when I crank the gain up and let it rip with the switch in the neck position and the push-push pot down, so I get a full humbucker. Sustain out the yin-yang!
    On the other hand, you want a nice clean rhythm sound? Select the split bucker! Want blues to classic rock? Go with the bridge p'up alone! Gotta love that versatility!
    Would I do it again?
    Well, it's not a question of "would"...more like "will", really; and the real question is not "whether" but "when"...the possibilities are endless!
    Bottom line: if you really wanna go for it, by all means do! Just be patient, look around, see what's available, think carefully about the sounds you want, then...take the plunge!!!
    It's well worth it.
    all the best
    -humbuxx
    My other car is a Telecaster®

I built an Esquire from all Fender parts (see avatar).

I looked at Warmoth stuff, but the Fender neck and body had just enough going for them to make the extra few bucks well spent. The neck has a slotted nut installed, the holes are drilled for the vintage style tuners, the tuner bushings already installed, and the neck mounting holes are drilled. It's finished in nitro and it has a Fender decal.

The body has the input jack and cup installed and wired, and the holes for the strap buttons are drilled. It is also finished in nitro.

Quote Originally Posted by Don

It's not necessarily a way to save money (experimanting with different detail parts and pickups is expensive), but you can end up with all the features you like.

You'll have lots of fun.
    Ditto....building one is fun,especially getting to choose your own neck,finish (if desired) and pups.And you will end up with what YOU want,not 95% of what you want (ex: "I like this Tele,but if it only had Fralins....").
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

My Photowebocaster is made from parts...

http://photoweborama.com/v-web/gallery/pcaster

Of course most of the parts were gifts, and the other parts were purchased cheap. The electronics from Jim in Texas. My total outlay on it was about $210.00. Which is great, because we don't have much cash right now, and this Tele has quickly become my #1 guitar. I just can't get that kind of sound out of a Strat.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama