Thread: Yamaha modern Strats?

Forum Member

Yamaha modern Strats?

I played a friend's yamaha 112 strat type today, for 200 something new, these guitars are quite well-made IMHO!!

Frets are nicely done and no rough edges. The body shape, though don't like all pretty, is very comfy and feel sugged. The PUPs are all u except from them, Korean made, weak and squeal a little, but with the right tweak on the amp, it's quite nice.
    A good setup and changed PUP, this thing is really to go!!

I'm really suprise by it, it's definately a nice beater and one for the 'rowdy' gigs!

Anybody love theirs and want to share their mod and pics ??

Their Tele clone is like that too. Great bang for the buck.
    You can get a solid alder guitar from them for less than the real deal.
    Beats the hell out os a Squier!
    Especially if you buy them used.

Forum Member
    I bought mine three years ago, it went for three and a quarter back then. Still very good for the money, considering what that coulda got you back then. I never had a problem with squeals from the pickups though, and I turn mine up. I bought the 312, so it is a step up from the 112, I don't know the details, but I do know mine has the humbucker in the bridge.
    I thought about upgrading the pickups, but never could bring myself to do it. They sound good, & like I said, no squeals.
    I use it mainly as my hard Rock guitar, I have a fender Tele for blues, but the Yamaha does blues really well too.
    When I saw the prices on them coming down, I thought about getting another one, one with the traditional three single coils, but I think I am going to pass, and save up for an American Standard.
    Another thing that sets it apart from the Fenders, is that the neck is really flat, so even with the shallow C shaped neck, it is hard to get your thumb over the top, especially below the 10th fret. I am 6'3" and most people say I have big hands, but I can't do the Jimmie/Stevie thing too well on this one.
    But all in all, I love the guitar.

Forum Member
    I've got a Pacifica 521 that I traded a MIM tele for years ago (plus cash). It's my favourite guitar, despite having other, conventionally "nicer' guitars in my collection. Very playable, well constructed. It's a H-S-H configuration, with coil tap and phase switch for the rear humbucker, and I can get any number of tones out of it.

The pickups are usable, although I think I am going to replace mine soon to tweak it. Great guitars.