Thread: Strat Questions...

Strat Questions...

Last edited by JoeP; 07-10-2004 at 08:50 PM.
    www.liquidgroovemojo.com

Like JoeP I'd like input on the same question, and also a twist on his question. I currently have a 84 Walnut Strat Elite. I have been considering selling it and replacing it with exactly what Joe is after. If have very briefly checked out a new American Series, 62 RI and Route 1 (meaning a few minutes each in a WalMars).

Therein lies my dilema (can't be spelled right)...Of the guitars I have tried none seem to feel as good as the Elite. What are my chances of getting the tone I'm after with a pickup replacement when mated with the walnut body and neck, ebony fingerboard, and Elite trem. Every thing I read here suggests that body wood and trem bridge meterial are a big piece of the vintage sound.

Is finding the right feeling new Strat a matter of checking out a bunch of them. It seems like quality was only so-so on each of the variants that I mentioned above.

Forum Member
    :cowb

The only real chunky neck'd Strats that I can find are the SRV and the older Jeff Beck models.

My guitar teacher has a '91 Jeff Beck. I love the neck on his guitar. Thick and hand filling, yet extremely comfortable to play. The SRV is close.

Anyone know of any other models that would fill the bill?

Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!
    Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!

What kind of budget are you on? Can you swing Custom Shop prices? Other than that, I don't believe any of the current 'over the counter' Fender Strats feature a chunky neck. Of course, what's not chunky to me might be a baseball bat to you [I've got big hands]. As for vintage tone in a pickup, I understand the recently redesigned '57/'62 p'ups get you as close to the real thing as you can get.

Vintage sound

The AV 57 RI had a beefy V neck and with the stock 57/62 pups sounds very vintage to me about 1200 US new

or

I have a JV and a 50's classic and I really like them both after pickup swaps for about 600us + 200 for pups( Fralins) and 100 for a Bridge/ Block swap + 900 for a killer vintage tone. The necks are not as large as the Jeff Beck but I belive they are the next largest in the Fender line

Try many guitars. Some just don't have it. I don't know why but that s the way it goes

Almost all the Old strat were either ash or alder bodies.
    I belive but don't hold me to it
    50's cap values were .1
    60's cap values were .05

I think that the modern cap values are .22

Electronics play a part in the plugged in tone