Thread: A fine mess?

A fine mess?

Well, bretherin, it looks as though I'm back in business...not that you knew anything about it to begin with.

I was trying to resurrect Paul Michael and The CT Recruits for a couple of gigs in PA but the distance for the band to travel from Connecticut for this short festival apppearance and bad timing regarding our rehearsals and other folks commitments really made that imposssssible. Making it even more uncomfortable, as it turns out, the promoter wanted us to headline this festival that she had planned for May 1st.

I gave the promoter the bad news but not wanting to bag this gig, I suggested that I put together something else, another band merely called Paul Michael and The Recruits. She went for it enthusiastically.
    So, as of now I have a good keyboard player lined up and tomorrow I begin the proccess of putting together another band to play this festival gig and a concert performance here in June that also fell into the mix at about the same time.

First rehearsal with just me and the keyboardist to set the "tone" is this coming Monday.
    Send mojo....and I'm sure hoping that Tele-Bob can lend me his "rehearsal whip". I'm thinkin' I'm gonna need it.

Re: A fine mess?

LOL! Why not just tell the truth? The drummer would rather play a snare in drum corp. Times change as do preferences. He will not be at the New England Jam X either because of drum corp. Oh well, another good one falls by the wayside.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I would have posted a pic of a mojo whip, so I googled some pix. I'll be back.. Meanwhile, have some mojo on me please.... while I check these..

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    LOL! Why not just tell the truth? The drummer would rather play a snare in drum corp. Times change as do preferences. He will not be at the New England Jam X either because of drum corp. Oh well, another good one falls by the wayside.
    I did tell the truth. I merely left out the details and was trying not to turn my thread into a personalized rant.
    I don't feel at all abandoned but sort of relieved that all that travelling and expense won't be incurred.

Time Marches On...get it? Huh? Huh?

Well, I for one am disappointed. I know that everyone has their preferences and it's hard to see it from another's point of view at times, but Drum Corp? To me, that's about as exciting as watching hair grow. I mean, the guys a drummer and all he gets to do is play a snare drum in the drum line. When weighed against playing a whole drum kit, I have difficulty seeing the appeal. Then again, I like some pretty strange stuff myself.

So how're we doin'? Will this thread go "full rant mode"? LOL!

I always wanted to play those tri-toms in marching band, myself. Instead I got to be the bass player and had a 7th grader pushing around my amp cart behind me...how cool is that?

I'll bet what the drummer enjoys is the precision of playing with other fine musicians. Drum corps may seem simple, but in fact the good ones are really not so simple. Besides, we guitar players crave the spotlight; many drummers are content to experience the pleasures of a well-played groove.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

The apppearance is impossssible?

:rl

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Tele-Bob: Are you going to have a drummer at your jam?

Yes Chet, I am going to have at least three. But I wanted to have more and Gus has been a fixture at these jams for a few years now. He will be missed.

Gus rawks!!!

TB - give him one of these for missing the jam...

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Chet
    The apppearance is impossssible?

:rl
    "impossssible": Intended mis-spelling for accent.

He gets to "SHINE" in the drum corp!
    The crowd's bigger!
    The chicks hotter!
    The beer colder and the outfit is "To Die For"....cut him some slack.

He's on a roll....and speaking of rolls: I played bass drum in grammar school. All went well until I stumbled and rocked back and forth, back and forth on this huge drum. Couldn't get my toes OR fingers to grab. Think upside down turtle. Still I loved beating the rhythmic tar outta that thing with double mallets. My mom made me stop. I embarassed her. Sumpin' 'bout pink undies in the air.
    Shine your light.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D.
    He gets to "SHINE" in the drum corp!
    The crowd's bigger!
    The chicks hotter!
    The beer colder and the outfit is "To Die For"....cut him some slack.

He's on a roll....and speaking of rolls: I played bass drum in grammar school. All went well until I stumbled and rocked back and forth, back and forth on this huge drum. Couldn't get my toes OR fingers to grab. Think upside down turtle. Still I loved beating the rhythmic tar outta that thing with double mallets. My mom made me stop. I embarassed her. Sumpin' 'bout pink undies in the air.
    Ah...and where are those pink undies today?
    Memories. Memories.

Why U up so late, hermano? Too many tunes in the old cerebelum?
    Shine your light.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D.
    Why U up so late, hermano? Too many tunes in the old cerebelum?
    Actually, last night I was watching The Bourne Supremecy on DVD. THEN I was trying to figure out "Ask Me 'Bout Nothin' (But the Blues) in a key where my voice was most comfortable....