Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Nash guitars

Forum Member

Question about Nash guitars

I had made up my mind awhile back to have a telecaster built to order. I had narrowed it down to Bravewood or Nash guitars (if anyone knows of others, please share), but decided to go with Nash when I learned that Bravewood won't do business with US customers. I emailed Bill Nash what I was looking for, and he agreed it was doable and gave me a quote. I have been unable to get ahold of him since. I'm a bit leery of giving my money to somebody I can't get ahold of when I'm trying to give him money. I can't imagine he'll be more communicative after he has my deposit. Anyone have experience dealing with him? I'm sure he's just busy, but I get nervous when a week goes by and I don't have a response to a question. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Zoso; 02-22-2005 at 06:20 AM.

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Question about Nash guitars

That's a shame about Bravewood Guitars. His guitars are the best looking replicas I've seen.

Bill Nash is very busy. I purchased a S-Style from him and could not be happier. I wish to build another and it is very tough to reach him due to the volume he is experiencing. Be patient..it's worth it

Forum Member

The Bravewoods look like someone beat on it with a chain. The pix of the Nash look more `natural`........I still caint believe I`m lusting after a relic!!!
    Someone slap me!!

CT.:ahem

Forum Member

Bill is too busy to be as attentive as he may like. He got a flurry of orders all at once before the holidays, and is just trying to keep up with current customer orders. Just think if you had given him a deposit, and he wasnt working on your guitar.

If Bravewood wont sell to the U.S. then too bad for him. There are too many good luthiers right here in the states. Bill has a great reputation, and one of the downsides of having a one man shop, is keeping up. Be patient, and stay in touch with him as best you can.

Forum Member

Yep he's swamped now but he has posted a couple new pictures this past week of the guitar he is working on for me so I know he's working.
    Still playin' the blues...

Forum Member

thats awfull news about bravewood, they are the best looking relics made i think

Forum Member

Bill, I see your getting close to completion. I should be right behind you. Please post all your thoughts and observations about your new axe. It looks pretty cool so far.

Relicula,Barnard do you have a link to your progress photos?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Relicula
    Bill, I see your getting close to completion. I should be right behind you. Please post all your thoughts and observations about your new axe. It looks pretty cool so far.
    Will do. I'm a little concerned about how dark the tortoise guard is (three new pictures today). I was hoping for something more red than brown, but it just may be the photos.

coldshot3, link to my page is:

www.nashguitars.com/Barnard.htm

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by coldshot3
    Bill Nash is very busy.

...it is very tough to reach him due to the volume he is experiencing. Be patient..it's worth it

So that guy has to start churning and cranking these things out to supply a distributor in Japan now?

What happends to the quality? When people are rushed and stressed to make a quota, somethings got to give and 99% of the time it is the quality, attention to detail and the satisfaction the buyer has when he opens his case every day. How can you make MORE guitars every month and still keep the custom one on one small builder mentality. The short answer is you cant.

There is no way in hell I would buy one of those guitars or do business like that, especially in that type of transaction.

Why does he charge a deposit anyway and not just make and then sell them. Here's why (I know this from custom swimming pools) beause his 600 deposit covers all the raw materials and he has to shell out nothing in advance. The remaining 600 due is the cost of painting a neck and body, scratching it up, darkening a pickguard and either bolting it up or paying a local tech 50 to do a set-up.

I did some hard math on this and the TOTAL cost of an entire guitar with an ash body, CS Fender pickups, rosewood neck, fender tremolo and other reissue hardware was guess what......619. All-parts and Warmoth has everything right there and I bet that he gets it all at dealer cost. (40-60% savings). Isn't he located near Warmoth anyway?

A raw ash strat body is 80 clams from most independent cutters. I have to tell you that this is one smart MO-FO and he has quite a racket going. I just can't believe how people eat this stuff up with all the hype over a parts guitar.

TFF Stage Crew

DIY

Quote Originally Posted by Brassnut
    So that guy has to start churning and cranking these things out to supply a distributor in Japan now?

What happends to the quality? When people are rushed and stressed to make a quota, somethings got to give and 99% of the time it is the quality, attention to detail and the satisfaction the buyer has when he opens his case every day. How can you make MORE guitars every month and still keep the custom one on one small builder mentality. The short answer is you cant.

There is no way in hell I would buy one of those guitars or do business like that, especially in that type of transaction.

Why does he charge a deposit anyway and not just make and then sell them. Here's why (I know this from custom swimming pools) beause his 600 deposit covers all the raw materials and he has to shell out nothing in advance. The remaining 600 due is the cost of painting a neck and body, scratching it up, darkening a pickguard and either bolting it up or paying a local tech 50 to do a set-up.

I did some hard math on this and the TOTAL cost of an entire guitar with an ash body, CS Fender pickups, rosewood neck, fender tremolo and other reissue hardware was guess what......619. All-parts and Warmoth has everything right there and I bet that he gets it all at dealer cost. (40-60% savings). Isn't he located near Warmoth anyway?

A raw ash strat body is 80 clams from most independent cutters. I have to tell you that this is one smart MO-FO and he has quite a racket going. I just can't believe how people eat this stuff up with all the hype over a parts guitar.
    so what you would build a guitar for...? :dead
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

The guy builds/assembles great stuff. I did not know it was illegal or immoral to make a profit.
    Your guitar looks great BB!

Does/did Lentz used licensed by Fender parts?

I wanted a Lentz..bigtime gas. His stuff was/is incredible!

I abandoned all hope of ever owning a Lentz. The prices continue to skyrocket. I started looking at Suhr's stuff. I really dug the Henderson model. I did some more research and stumbled onto Nash. I could not be happier. Unfortunately, he is inundated with work. I spoke to him the other day, he has a backlog for sure. I can't wait to hear Barnard/Relicula's impressions.

Forum Member

Lets all cry a river over Fender, and someone copying their style. How much does it cost fender to put a guitar together? Price out the parts with their discount, add the dealers markup, and there you go. Order a custom guitar from Lentz, or any other builder and if they dont ask you for a deposit up front, I would be shocked.

Bill is a one man operation, and I know for a fact he is not rushing anything due to volume, I have bitched about it taking long, but not pressed him to hurry it up just for the same reason, pay attention to detail. Lentz is way more expensive, and uses poly finishes, a no-no for me. 3k for a bolt together guitar, even though he does it right, for 3k you should. Nothing against Scott, or any of the buyers of his guitars, they look great.

The watered down line of McFender shouldnt be coveted so highly as to discourage a private builder to discontinue his work. I have been a big Fender supporter for over 35 years, and what have they ever done for me? You have fender usa, fender mexico, fender japan, fender buys guild, fender buys gretsch etc. Let us not forget the countless numbers of artists models. So where should we begin to protect their rights? As a consumer I am only interested in what I lay down my cash for. I have bought more pieces of Fender junk in the last 3 decades to buy any kind of guitar/amp I could imagine.

Even relics which I am a big fan of, are Fender's attempt to compete with themselves in the vintage market. Customers spending 10k and up for a vintage guitar can pay 2k for a relic, which has some of the vibe of an older guitar, nitro finish, better build quality, and parts.

If Bill's work doesnt cut it, I will be the first to step up and say so, I have no association, or loyalty to him at this point. Just a guy wanting to buy a guitar.

But lets not cry a river for Fender just yet, they seem to be selling a lot of gear

Forum Member

And there is a Lentz for sale in the guitar section of this BB, 3k for a hardtail. The guy selling it is very cool, and always has great gear for sale. For all of you Lentz fans, here is a chance.

Forum Member

I've personally been down to Scott Lentz' shop about 30 times, and I've NEVER seen a can of "poly" ANYWHERE, FWIW. . .Seen LOTS of nitro lacquer and acrylic lacquer (Which is what he's shooting my Fender Custom Shop '60 Reissue body with right now) though; maybe he keeps the cans of poly "in the back". . . ;)

TFF Stage Crew

Lets all cry a river over Fender, and someone copying their style...
    Anything you say would mean so much more to me if you ever once posted to any thread besides the two Nash threads.

I feel bad that Lentz can't do his stuff (particularly T -styles :)) because I wanted one. It makes sense for a builder of quality guitars to build in styles his customers want to see.

However, despite the "big, mindless corporation" argument I see over and over, Fender DOES own what they own. I would never blame Lentz or Suhr for what they did, because it was a sound business choice, but neither can I stomach if they or anyone cries when Fender's laywers eventually drop the hammer.

That said, I'm totally with Spose. Fender SHOULD license the design to legitimate builders. It makes sense in every possible way.

As for paying someone to take licensed Fender parts to make me a "relic" guitar out of them... well, to each their own. I'll relic my own every weekend night in the clubs. It's free and it's real.

Forum Member

Mine's done. Check it out.

www.nashguitars.com/Barnard.htm

Forum Member

I dont see what my posting to the Nash only thread has to do with anything. I ordered a guitar from him, and my interest lies in those that have done the same, and who may have owned one of these guitars.

I dont have some hidden agenda to the outcome of anything regarding fender, copyrighting, or the "relic it yourself" supporters. I could care less.

I stand corrected on the Lentz using poly issue, those in the know more than I have made their point. I am victim or believing something I read on the net regarding this subject.

Wow that looks great BB! I betcha' It plays/sounds just as good as it looks. Congrats

Forum Member

Bill, did you get it yet? Mine is complete, and will probably ship Monday.

Forum Member

Bill, did you get it yet? Mine is complete, and will probably ship Monday.
    It is scheduled to be here 3/8. I'll be giving a full report when it arrives. Unfortunately the UPS guys come late in the day to my house and I have a guitar lesson that evening so I probably won't get to play it (assuming no shipping issues) until late on 3/8.

Yours looks nice Relicula (I've been watching your private page).

Forum Member

Thanks Bill, I am happy the way it came out looks wise, it will ship Monday. Look forward to any info your willing to share.

Relicula...do you have a link?

I thought these Nash guitar were supposed to be vintage replicas? If so, why did he put a modern pickguard on Bill's guitar?

Bill Nash will build 'em ANY way you want. It is one of the truly great things about Nash. Mine is a "vintage replica" with a 12 radius. I got what I always wanted..a "vintage sounding/aesthetics"i.e. Fralin PU's instrument with modern playability. The relicing thing is not for everyone, I dig it.

Forum Member

www.nashguitars.com/Sousa.htm, should get you to the link

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebisch
    I thought these Nash guitar were supposed to be vintage replicas? If so, why did he put a modern pickguard on Bill's guitar?
    Because that's what I asked for. I wanted something visual that was close to SRV's Butterscotch. AND I wanted something without little vintage frets and the small vintage radius PLUS I wanted locking tuners and straplock buttons. To do all that with Fender would have required Masterbuilt and big $$$$. This way I'm getting exactly what I wanted.

Forum Member

www.nashguitars.com/Sousa.htm, should get you to the link
    Actually this will get you to the link:

www.nashguitars.com/Souza.htm

Oh, I see, you specified you wanted the modern pickguard hole/screw counter sink pattern. I was just curious.

wow nice guitar Relicula!!! It looks great.

Banned

"Great sounding guitar. Just the right blend of throaty, woody tone with the grand sparkle of the best strats"

-NASH on his latest mongrel.

Sounds to me like the just the right fruity herbal blend of rushed-ham handed guitar assembly, internet forum marketing and pure Bullshit.

"Throaty, woody tone with the grand sparkle of the best" :rofl:spin
    :zzz
    That his typical cut and paste techno babble. Save it for Saturday afternoon at GuitarCenter. Sounds just like the reviews of his guitars that he writes in for the Harmony-Central reviews.

I like how he delicately takes 3 day old paint and lays it face down on the concrete floor for your pics! :bug

Also, I have never seen another guitar builder whos tool chest contained so many hacksaw blades, razor knifes and other tools of destruction I.E. "fine guitar aging". :bwa oh yea, throw in a 100 pack of All Parts pre-slotted plastic nuts too!

I simply cannot believe that grown adults eat this $%^ up like they do.

Forum Member

Hey thanks for pissin on our parade. How many guitar builders tool chests have you seen? And is it an indication of their build quality, neat box, good guitar, messy box bad guitar.

Have you read any review on harmony central that wasnt bullshit? Every guitar, and amp there is a 10, so lets have a level playing field.

What difference does it make if the newly painted guitar is on the floor, maybe it will get dinged up? I asked him to ding it up. And before we get an onslaught of "I relic it myself the real way guys" Lets get serious, if you have had ONE guitar for all of your playing days, and it had a nitro finish, then you are a real relicer. I have never owned a guitar long enough to beat up a nitro finish, let alone a poly one. Nor have I been fascinated with one guitar that kept me from buying any others.

I just recently bought a 57 l.p. junior, its pretty dinged and beat up, so I guess that doesnt qualify either. Nor will it to the various owners of any guitars that were worn in by actually playing, cause you paid the seller for the piece, and you didnt accrue any actual playing wear yourself.

I bought my guitar from Bill for this reason. I wanted a 60's oly white strat, and 12-15k for one of them is ridiculous. Especially with the fakes, and parts-o-casters out there. I hate glossy, new, poly finishes, they suck. Theyre just guitars, the magical forest of tone woods does not exist. For the one in 200 vintage guitars that has a certain magic, there are 199 stiffs out there with empty pockets, and no tone.

I have not received my guitar yet, when I do I will post what I think about it. I most certainly have no loyalty to Bill, Fender, Marshall, or any other manufacturer because I own their gear. I paid them for a product, and it ends there.

Brassnut, post a pic of what guitars you play, I am real interested.

BB and Relicula: Those are both great looking guitars I look forward to hearing more about them.

Banned

How many guitar builders tool chests have you seen? And is it an indication of their build quality, neat box, good guitar, messy box bad guitar.
    The numbers of luthiers I know has nothing to do with observing the BS web hype of someone who slaps on 2 coats of paint in 3 days on an All-parts body and calls is "Custom" or "Boutique". He has about 500 in parts in those guitars (dealer wholesale cost) and sells them for 1500! He is a MUCH better BULLSHIT ARTIST and businessman than a guitar "ASSEMBLER" or painter.

If you have had ONE guitar for all of your playing days, and it had a nitro finish, then you are a real relicer.
    I am a real relicer. 1971 Telecasters bought MINT in 1984.

I bought my guitar from Bill for this reason. I wanted a 60's oly white strat, and 12-15k for one of them is ridiculous. Especially with the fakes, and parts-o-casters out there.
    Yes, heaven forbid you get a parts-o-caster. 15K IS too much to pay but 1500 is ridiculous too for a rushed Warmoth mongrel too.

I have not received my guitar yet, when I do I will post what I think about it. I most certainly have no loyalty to Bill
    OF COURSE, you're going to gush about how AMAZING it is. Does anyone expect your opinion to be anything BUT biased? I bet it will have "deep throaty bass, scopped mids and glassy high's too"

Brassnut, post a pic of what guitars you play, I am real interested.
    Here's MY Nash relic...it has very accurate blowtorch aging just like the real ones develop over time.

Forum Member

Thanks again for providing us with all your wisdom. I am happy that you found a guitar that you have kept for a long time, and still like it. I had a 71 tele once, I used it to sink a boat, it was 12 lbs, drenched in thick poly, sounded thin and lifeless. But I am sure that yours does not.

I
    Last edited by Relicula; 03-10-2005 at 12:53 PM. Reason: additional info