Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SRV tone

Re: SRV tone

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    It's interesting how he udes so many different amps and yet still delivered basically the same tone. hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    I think it would be safe to say, as a rule of thumb, that SRV's signature tones came from the combination of big strings, detuning, stratocasters, a Tube Screamer, and Fender Reverb amps...But I've had or now have those elements, and I don't feel like I've gotten that close...because I don't have his hands.

I agree that you can get in the ballpark, but to really cop his tone you have to study his licks, phrasing, the way he hits the strings, his muting (which enabled him to use big picking motions and still only sound the notes he wanted, giving him a more percussive attack)...and his touch.

I love the live stuff where he goes from balls to the wall to whisper-quiet...and his band follows him. There's no overestimating their contribution, too...a very sympathetic rhythm section.

As for the Clapton pedal, I'm kind of intrigued...I'm gonna check it out. Might be a fun little toy.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

My pedal doesn't have Clapton tones, but it does seem to have a "SUCK" button sometimes.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Your Digitech delay sounds great, OSA!

Went to the DigiTech website; they really DO have a hendrix pedal.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    It's interesting how he udes so many different amps and yet still delivered basically the same tone.
    He played w/the same style, maybe, but the same tone? I don't hear that. The reason he used so many different amps was to get different tones from each of them.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by 71818
    ! Dang, Fezz! That was funny! :lol :lol
    It's so good , I have to post it twice!:lol

LOL! There was a ficticious pedal called the Stevie Ray Vaughabee. The controls were "voodoo" and "mojo".

http://www.angelfire.com/yt3/redtele/
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

My feeling is that it's all in the hands and brain...the 1985 video I saw had him on two differnt guitars, different pickups, yet he still sounded basically the same. I've seen him play the same songs he did that night on different guitars than he was playing. Great tone no matter which he was using. Strings may have an effect of course. Amps also. He played with different combinations of both yet still had his own unmistakable sound and tone. Voodoo Chile sounds like Voodoo Chile whether he uses a Tokai or his white Strat or his #1 Strat. I've seen/heard him play it on all 3. It's a mystery..lol..then again, it could just have been him.

Quote Originally Posted by stratovani
    I agree, Tele-Bob. When I played Voodoo Child at last week's jam, I knew damn well I wasn't gonna sound anything like Hendrix, I just wanted to capture a little of the spirit behind the song. And I think I pulled it off, somewhat.

A good analogy to this whole "I wanna sound like...." thing is back when I started playing golf I wanted nothing more than to swing like Fred Couples. He had the smoothest swing there was, kind of like the Clapton of golf swings. I soon learned that I couldn't swing anything like him. But I did learn to incorporate some elements of his individual style (along with other player's swings) into my own swing and it improved my swing. The same with guitarists. I have a lot of favorite guitarists (Alex Lifeson being my current fave) and I've learned a lot from them lo these 33 years, out of which I've synthesized my own style, which, like a golf swing, is as personal as a fingerprint. So, learn from the greats by all means, but try not to fall into the "I wanna sound like..." trap, develop your own style instead, you'll enjoy it a lot more. It's a lot easier, too!!
    Great...I'm still trying to swing like Fred Couples...