Thread: Highway 1 Pickups-why change them?...convince me.

Highway 1 Pickups-why change them?...convince me.

Long story short..wife bought me a guitar...unreal huh? :lol I got to pick it out, so that's even better. It is a used blonde Highway 1, blonde, maple neck/fingerboard. It plays great! I went back to the store- 2 stores actually, to get a feel for different bridges and pickups - what differences there are since this is my first Telecaster...Strats are a whole different animal...the Tele is a gem though. OK...I played 3 at one shop and 4 in another...all USA made with the exception of a 50s MIM. I expected a distinct improvement in tone, a more focused sound with a vintage bridge, brass saddles, "good" USA pups...I told both sales people, "they sound different, but nothing really knocks me out here". I mean I liked the sounds, fun of trying a bunch of different Teles...a real good time and nice to play through different amps that I hadn't played through also.

I'm not impressed. I was trying to find this magical Tele sound that my Tele with "import" pickups is missing, but it evaded me...unless mine already has it and someone is keeping it a secret. My honest conclusion was, why swap them out? Unless I can find something that ditches the 60 cycle hum completely and sounds as good or better than what I have, why bother? You folks always know your stuff here...All opinions and suggestions welcome!

fezz parka

Re: Highway 1 Pickups-why change them?...convince me.

I thought the Highway 1's used the original vintage pickups. If so, they're the same as the one's in the '52 RI.

Why do you want to be convinced? If your happy, I'm happy...I liked the "cheap" stock pickups that were in my Classic '60s Tele...Didn't like the neck heel hump though, I like low action.

Quote Originally Posted by thebisch
    Why do you want to be convinced? If your happy, I'm happy...I liked the "cheap" stock pickups that were in my Classic '60s Tele...Didn't like the neck heel hump though, I like low action.
    You have to stop reading my mind...it's scaring me... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    I thought the Highway 1's used the original vintage pickups. If so, they're the same as the one's in the '52 RI.
    I originally thought so too Fezz...I've been told that they are a MIM Pickup used on the 50s Classic MIM Teles...after listening to a bunch, I'm not sure it matters alot.

man I really like the stock HW1 Tele Pickups
    very nice to my ear - they are Vintage - Marcondo knows the scoop but really I don't care about the pedigree they simply sound OK to me

I'll confirm that they're 50's Tele vintage style Mex pickups.

I think they sound fine.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

In the course of figuring out what kind of p'up I wanted for my Tele project, I played a HWY 1 right next to a 60's CS, some other high-end CS Tele and an Anderson. And, sorry to disappoint you, but for my taste I liked the HWY 1's bridge p'up better. I liked the Anderson too. Nice and round, bell-like, but the Hwy 1 was a bit snappier.

Some people do it almost reflexively, but there's no law requiring you to change pickups on a reasonably priced guitar.
    If you like it, you like it.
    Enjoy, man!
    That's what it's all about.:wail2
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

As you can see they are the same as the 50's Classic.

Some like em some dont. I have always replaced mine its easy to find a buyer for the stock ones for $25 each. But if they sound good to you thats all that really matters.

Okay let's update this thread. In 2006 they changed the pickups to an overwound version, what's everyone's opinion on the current Hwy 1 Tele pickups?

Forum Member

I believe they went with Alnico III (or was it II) in both the Teles and the Strats. That and being hotter the pickups seem relatively muddy and dark. Do heavily distorted tones nicely but too smoky for cleans I think. In some way very un-Fendery lacking the glistening highs. Well, some may get a kick out of them.

Forum Member

I would tend to agree with solitair. the baja tele has much clear, bright sound. I was feeling rather 'made in USA' that day - - and I also noiced a few things I didnt like on the baja tele....but I must say my hwy 1 has good tone to my ears.. the neck pick ups is very nice, neck and bridge together is good too. The bridge overdriven with my amp is very good too. I like the guitar, I had to play with the height some to get them sounding better but for me, no need to change. and another plus here, I play a lot through a Line 6 pocket pod in the morning wile the kids / wife sleep. SO the darker tone is welcome with that set up.
    P e a c e KYC

Strat or Tele out of a 5E3 .

The ear is always maturing and taste's change. If you like it stay with it but my own preference in tone has developed over the years and you may not like it later, no big thing, change the pickups then.

Sounds OK. PLays OK. Don't bother and KEEP AS IS!!
    The HW ones can be realy good if You're lucky and this looks like Good Luck to me, play and enjoy, keep it simple!

I Have a SD Broadcaster bridge pick up (alnico 5) in a Tele-configured guitar which does the more modern tele bridge sound really well, but for me, Teles are all about "twang". My Squier CV 50's tele with stock alnico 3 p/ups is to my ears just perfect. Seriously, alnico 3 & not overwound are just magic in a Tele !

When You point your finger 'cause your plan fell through, you've got 3 more fingers pointing back at you.