Thread: 79 strat with maple cap = $950??

Forum Member

79 strat with maple cap = $950??

i'm looking for a matching strat having a maple cap...

any one familiar with strats in that era?? i hesitate to call it 'vintage', but does it deserve that price tag??

http://www.gbase.com/gearlist/guitar...04&home=dealer

Forum Member
    Toneshun, I don't think that's a maple cap--looks exactly like my old natural finish ash bodied strat...fwiw...

Forum Member
    went to the store and checked it out, it's already sold..

anyway, how did your old guitar plays?? what's the market value of these now?

Originally posted by GCWaters
    Toneshun, I don't think that's a maple cap--looks exactly like my old natural finish ash bodied strat...fwiw...

Price strikes me as a little high. FWIW my first real guitar was a 76 hardtail Strat. Needed to have the frets dressed to get rid of buzzing, and that three bolt neck you see from the photo of the back is prone to movement. After I had the frets dressed, neck converted to a four bolt and put new tuners on it, it turned out to be a decent guitar. Actually wished I hadn't sold it. When new a 76 hardtail w/o case sold for $350.

New Fender guitars and Fender Guitars made within the past 15 years are generally better than late '70's Fender Guitars.

Back when the '70's guitars were cheap they were a bargain.

Now that the cost more than a better guitar, they're not.

As Don said

"New Fender guitars and Fender Guitars made within the past 15 years are generally better than late '70's Fender Guitars.

Back when the '70's guitars were cheap they were a bargain.

Now that the cost more than a better guitar, they're not."

I beg to differ I have never seen a mass produced guitar that was built well in my hole 45 year's of life unless it was custom made or modified.

I got a 79 and I gotta say it is one of the best guitar's I have ever had it's got that mojo people talk about. Of course it has been modified some what I have done setup it up and change the bridge pickup and vol pot from a 250k to a 500k.
    Im the silent one

I've looked at quite a few 70s Strats, mostly hardtails, in hopes of finding one like my long gone '75 hardtail (see avatar). It was a truly great guitar, and I never should have parted with it. Of course, part of what made it such a great guitar (for me, anyway) was the fact that it had been modified - it had an SD JB at the bridge, which really added to it's versatility. But it was also extremely lightweight, and the neck was nice and fat.

70s Strat prices (at least the ones I've seen online) range from $995 to $1699, depending on the condition of the guitar, and how 'original' it may be. I think these prices are just this side of outrageous - but then again, early to mid 70s models *are* over 25 years old now, and considered by many to be 'vintage'.

There's an '82 'Smith' Strat on eBay now that's already over $1100, with the reserve not yet met (I paid $550 for mine back in '93 or so).

Currently, I've got an '82 'Smith' Strat (w/tremelo and maple neck) and an '88 MiJ hardtail (rosewood board) I bought last year that may or may not be a '62 reissue. But this new American Fat Strat Texas Special I bought last Saturday blows 'em both clean outta the water, and has a range of tones very, very close to what I used to get out of my '75. Memory being what it is, this TS probably sounds *better* than my '75 did.

Deneva