Thread: question @ strat- bridge experts

Forum Member

question @ strat- bridge experts

hi ,maybe someone knows.....

wanna try a narrow string spread bridge on a vintage-style body,for easier double bends etc. up the neck....

standart vintage bridges: string spread 2 1/4 (57mm)
    (6 holes)

new fender-style bridge: string spread 2 1/4 (54mm)
    2 holes

is there any vintage style bridge (6 holes) with narrow string spread 2 1/4 ?????

I only found a goto narrow vintage bridge but-2 holes and one called "diego delux" 6 hole ok, but with alu sustain-block.....

Re: question @ strat- bridge experts

I have an early 70's Fender Strat 6 hole bridge that has 2" spacing string center to center. Standard Fender is a hair under 2 1/4"

You need a custom routed body to fit it. The plate is 5/16" narrower than a regular Fender Bridge at its widest point.

BTW, The Fender narrow bridges were all aluminum blocks.

Forum Member

thanks,

As far I know they used 2 1/4 (57mm) standart vintage

modern fender bridge 2 1/8 (54mm)

and 2 7/32 (56,32mm) early seventies

hope there is a aftermarket bridge narrow 2 1/8 spacing with 6-hole vintage routing specs.......

Those numbers are not altogether correct.

The Fender early 70's (Narrow bridge) in my hand, is 2" wide string holes and mounting holes center to center.

I don't believe anyone is making any alternate sized bridges for Fender style other than the standard 2 1/4" and the vintage narrow, 2"

Forum Member

I found only? one trem with these specs:

DIEGO Deluxe Tremolo:
    6-screw-mounted vintage-style tremolo bridge with vintage saddles and 54mm(=2 1/8) string spread. Aluminium block! Includes screws, springs, spring claw and a stainless steel tremolo arm.

at -- http://www.rockinger.com/index.html?...rt=1615C/1615G

the company trades with different parts, they made some custom guitars for Ron Wood too, called "Düsenberg".....

will try this, hope the alu block will not change the sound......

but you are right, same specs with steel block, no chance....

Forum Member

I think the sustain blocks in Fenders are actually zinc, I believe Leo said the sound was better.

Regardless of the bridge you should be able to retro fit what ever sustain block you want with a little mod.
    Last edited by FenderFreak; 02-18-2005 at 01:09 AM. Reason: coz

That would be a lot of mod.
    I guess you could flip it over and redrill all the holes. Hmmm,
    Nah, that won't work either.
    Maybe you could fill the old holes and start drilling some new ones.

Forum Member

not so much.....

got this vintage-style bridge with narrow string spread(rockinger) two days ago, and---perfect fit with classic 6 screw mount on a vintage style body...

The alu block does not change the sound very much but....
    if the Callaham replacement block for modern standart strats (same narrow spring spread) will fit, it will be the perfect bridge for me . Have to check this...

You may ask why the hell all these mods?

Look at a LP at 15 fret, string to end/edge of frets----much more distance to the edge of the fretboard, and much more room for agressiv finger vibrato, the wider spring spread on fenders at higher frets really makes no so much sense, when I switch from LP to Strat I allways have to reduce the finger vibrato on high e-string and double-tone bends with one finger no more possible.......have a try.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by stratdude69
    not so much.....

got this vintage-style bridge with narrow string spread(rockinger) two days ago, and---perfect fit with classic 6 screw mount on a vintage style body...

The alu block does not change the sound very much but....
    if the Callaham replacement block for modern standart strats (same narrow spring spread) will fit, it will be the perfect bridge for me . Have to check this...

You may ask why the hell all these mods?

Look at a LP at 15 fret, string to end/edge of frets----much more distance to the edge of the fretboard, and much more room for agressiv finger vibrato, the wider spring spread on fenders at higher frets really makes no so much sense, when I switch from LP to Strat I allways have to reduce the finger vibrato on high e-string and double-tone bends with one finger no more possible.......have a try.....
    I was told that the string tension difference between a LP and a Strat is more to do with the difference in the length from nut to bridge.

Forum Member

right...

less string tension with gibson scale, easier bending......
    tune down a fender 1/2 step, same effect (like Hendrix did)

but more distance from high e string to edge-fretboard on the LP`s- adds more space for finger vibrato,

I finished a personal strat project, classic body, warmoth conversion neck (with gibson short scale) and narrow spring spread bridge......best of both worlds: fender sound and
    perfect comfort for the fingers too....