Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 60 Cycle hum...do you even care?

Re: 60 Cycle hum...do you even care?

FWIW, Kinman draws the line in this argument for me. I don't like any noiseless but Kinmans. Others may, and that's cool. My ear is pretty discerning, though certanly not as trained as those of others here. And Kinmans not only sound right, they sound damn good.

Like stratcat62 said above, they're good pickups to me. Noisless is a plus. Not only are Kinmans the only noiseless p/ups I like, the Woodstocks are damn near the only high output Stat pickups I like. YMMV.

But if someone insists on equating noiseless pickups only with Lace Sensors and Fender's noisless, I'd have to agree.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama
    What did you play at teh Palomino club? I thought that was country club.. Not that that's bad...

It started it's life as a country roadhouse, but The Palomino used to book all kinds of acts...Rock, blues country, punk whatever. One of my favorite places to play...wish it was still here.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    FWIW. The "Rush" soundtrack was recorded with a Lace Sensor Strat...

I've got the entire score, and the standout is Buddy doing "Wang Dang Doodle" w/ Eric. Buddy was also playing a Lace Sensor Strat. :hee
    I knew it was recorded with the Lace Sensor. I just knew it! :)

I personally thought Guy sucked on that track. The tone sucked and his solo was *way* too long and just plain bad, IMHO... then, Clapton bursts into his solo with that ultra powerful bend. I was floored!

My favorite soundtrack!

Amatuers! You hardcore single coil guys would leave the building weeping if you were to attempt to play those things in two of the clubs I play at here. I suppose if you built a screen cage around yourself and grounded it, then got inside to do your set, you might get through the night without the hum. Otherwise, you're screwed. I haven't played any real fancy clubs and I am not a pro musician, but I'm tellin' ya right now, there are a couple clubs out here that no one plays single coils in. Can't be done without waaaaaaaaaaaay too much noise. I guess the cheesey clubs I play at simply aren't up to electrial code. And if you think Strat p'ups are bad, you should hear the poor bastards that attempt to play P90s! There comes a point where the buzz from the amp is loud enough to defray any perceived tonal advantage single coils might have. And again I stress that the people who know the difference are a very small minority. Personally, I would much prefer to hear clear, buzz-less tone rather than supposedly better tone masked in buzz.

sabby, I completely agree. Kinmans are the only noiseless p'ups for me too. I have heard some people get great sounds with BL280 too though.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Some of the clubs I play at simply will not allow the use of single coils.
    :bug

Wow, I can see it now. Right after you pass through the x-ray machine security openes up your guitar case........

"Hey these are single coils. Can't come in"
    "But they are noiseless"
    "Gotta reciept to prove it"?
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

TFF Stage Crew

Said the same thing myself Bob--almost verbatim. Back when I was a Strat guy, there were two bars that I just couldn't stand to play because the hum was so bad. It drove me originally to noiseless pups, and the problem of hum was solved. When I got into Teles I went first to noiseless pups (Kinmans and VNs) without even giving the stock pups a chance.

But whenever I really listened to the differences, I realized I'd have to put up with some hum if I really wanted the tone that made me happy. Every time I heard my noiseless pups recorded, there was just this annoying high-midrange spike that grated on me after only a few minutes.

I finally bit the bullet and went back to regular single coils. I was instantly rewarded with the type of tone I personally wanted, but I feared that first gig at the bars with the bad wiring. The time came, I plugged in, and yes there was hum, but the horrible buzz from years before wasn't there.

Sometime after I switched to noiseless pups I also added the VooDoo Labs Pedal Power (regulated & shielded) power supply to my pedal board instead of cheap power strip.

See Dorothy, I had the power to go back all along. :)

I'm glad you Kinman guys are happy with yours, because they do sound good and Chris (IMO) is a really great guy. Unfortunately for me, they are a sharp 2.3 Khz stick in my ear every time I hear them. Same (and even worse) with BLs.

I never heard it with my VNs, but then again, I also wasn't hearing about half the sonic range a pickup is supposed to have either. Go figure.

As I always say, I'm glad we don't all like exactly the same tone, because then we really would all sound alike. No fun there. :yay

**My opinion is that it should not be something I should have to deal with it... at all**

Well it's my opinion that I shouldn't have to pay taxes...but that don't make it so.

Dude, if you like the VNs then great use 'em...but why make all the big toodoo?

The man had a big epiphany and you came in and thread-crapped on his thread.

If you don't agree, fine, stay out of the thread, if you do, shout a big "AMEN"!!!

If that (the quote above) is the only gripe that you have in all this, than I am thinking you must be one of those spoiled rich kids that's had everything they've ever wanted handed to them.

I've been playing since I was 15 (makes it 20 years now) and been playing out in every imaginable enviroment. From peoples back yard to front porches, to livingrooms, to kitchens, to basements, and just about every possible club enviroment imaginable...(and very heavily the last 10-15 years.)

I have never run across a situation where the hum was an issue enough to make me say to those involved "It's my opinion that I shouldn't have to deal with this"

I don't know if you gig out any, but the second you accept *ONE RED CENT* you become, by definition, a "professional".

And as a professional, you are expected to act, perform and conduct yourself as one.

You are going to run across a *LOT* worse than some hum in your amp...

I've had amps fry, effects die, crucial band members just not show up to gigs, PA heads or speakers die, drunks falling into the stage, fog machine going haywire and cant see a foot in front of your face, drummer crap his shorts 5 mins before the show, having a bad cold and being on cold medicine and having the beer take you by suprise, being a metal band and showing for a gig as a sub and find out it's a country bar.......

but as a working "professional" musician you deal with it......

I've always maintained that you shouldn't judge a person's character when everything is hunkie dorie...moreso how he conducts himself or how he deals with thing when the shit hits the fan.

Now let's just drop this stupid shit talk and get back to talking about fun stuff, making music... :blbros
    Last edited by Hcochoa; 02-13-2005 at 03:46 PM.
    If You Choose To Criticize...
    You Choose Your Enemies!

TFF Stage Crew

I'm just as guilty as anyone of keeping the noiseless vs. non-noiseless debate going, but it's about gear. Nothing will ever be "resolved", just like rosewood vs. ash or gibby vs. fender etc. etc. Still, we debate.

Even lively debate is good.

However if really has to be Hugh vs. Strat-Mangler, or any one person vs. any other person and the thread goes away. Clear?

Play nice, and either hum or don't hum. :)

I have a friend at work who borrows my GM200 amp modeler for shows because it hums like a real map when he stops playing...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hcochoa
    Dude, if you like the VNs then great use 'em...but why make all the big toodoo?

The man had a big epiphany and you came in and thread-crapped on his thread.
    You're assuming a lot! First of all, my opinion was stated in a non-aggressive fashion and secondly, I don't own VNs.

If that (the quote above) is the only gripe that you have in all this, than I am thinking you must be one of those spoiled rich kids that's had everything they've ever wanted handed to them.
    Talk about a cheap shot. You know nothing about me and judge me so harshly. What does that say about you?

I've been playing since I was 15 (makes it 20 years now) and been playing out in every imaginable enviroment. From peoples back yard to front porches, to livingrooms, to kitchens, to basements, and just about every possible club enviroment imaginable...(and very heavily the last 10-15 years.)
    I don't think you grasp the whole concept of ME having MY own opinion. I don't care if you've played for 80 years. If I don't like it, then I don't like it. I'm not going to change my opinion based on your experience. That should be fairly easy to understand?

I've always maintained that you shouldn't judge a person's character when everything is hunkie dorie...moreso how he conducts himself or how he deals with thing when the shit hits the fan.
    So it's ok to insult me because you disagree with me?

Now let's just drop this stupid shit talk and get back to talking about fun stuff, making music...
    Sorry, but you lost all credibility in that last quote when you insulted me earlier within that post. You can't tell me "You're an idiot" and then present your hand for a shake, wearing a big smile on your face. It doesn't work that way.

This is my last message in this thread, period. It's a shame some people are so judgemental and condescending when you express a difference in opinion, especially when considering how no actual points were made in some posts disagreeing with me. All I got were "You don't like traditional single-coils? Go play a Gibson" and "You must be a rich kid who got everything they ever wanted served on a silver platter."

How classy.

I'm sorry my opinion offends you so much, man. I'm disappointed. I'll leave it at that. :toobad

Just for the record, here is what I said earlier in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Strat-Mangler
    My point was that the hum bothers *me* to no end and seeing the noiseless alternatives out there providing really fair sound in contrast to regular single-coils, I fail to see the need for me to struggle with the aforementioned single-coils. If some people (and obviously, I seem to be in the minority, here) wish to deal with the hum, fine. No problem. I don't personally understand that position, but I respect it nevertheless. *I* will simply use noiseless pickups whenever possible. That's all I'm saying
    That was my point. I don't see any personal insults nor do I see any attacks of any kind towards your gear choice, etc... My 1st post was indeed strongly worded and I recognized that and apologized already for it. I expressed my opinion afterwards in a more civil manner.

I see how big of a mistake that was, now...

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    Clear?
    Apparently, Strat-Mangler, it was not at all clear to you.