Thread: Unorthidox Amp Setup

Unorthidox Amp Setup

OK here's what I was thinking of doing but I'm not sure if this is safe or will sound half way decent.

Have a 100w Marshall Head and a Weber Mass with a DI out. I was thinking of using the DI out and running it into the normal Channel of my Twin Reverb.

Utilizing an A-B Box I could then play clean through the Vibrato channel of the Twin or the Marhsall which would be running distorted though the clean channel.

Does this sound crazy? Will it work?

fezz parka

Re: Unorthidox Amp Setup

If the DI out pads the signal down to line level I don't see why not. I'd ask Ted just to be sure...

I don't know what the signal level is like out of the MASS.

Remember, the #2 input is attenuated in your Twin, so if it's too hot, you can tone it down by changing jacks.

If you try it, I suggest trying your Twin with the mids on 10, bass on 2, and treble on 1, and tweaking from there. That's the flattest response you'll get out of a Twin. Nasty with a straight guitar, but if it's already been run through an amp, it might work.

Slaving amps used to be popular in the old days, but is less so now.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Thanks guys. I read the FAQ carefully on the Weber site and as long as the attentuation is set to its highest level (10) it's safe to run the amp using only the DI out.

Now to see what the Marshall sounds like without any attentuation through the Twin. Not sure if the DI volume acts like an attenuator or not .

Sure would be nice to have the Marshal crunch and Fender clean with out lugging another speaker cab for the Marshall.

I gave it a shot through my Deluxe Reverb and the DI out from the Marshall signal sounds pretty good. I'm able to crank the Marshall still and keeping both the DI volume and the Deluxe volume low I can get a pretty robust crunch. I really need to try this in a setting that I can turn up some more.

I'm that all that happy with the tone through one 12" speaker. Slightly buzzy fadeout on notes and thin solo sound. I'll have to experiment on the Twin at a louder volume but I suspect the only way to get that great Marshall sound is through a proper closed back cab.

Forum Member

Whats the sense in having a Marshall, and then choking it down thru a combo??? It won`t sound like what it should. Get a decent 2X12 cab, and you`ll be way closer to what you want. You`ve already got the attenuation part, so use it as intended.

CT.

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone
    Whats the sense in having a Marshall, and then choking it down thru a combo??? It won`t sound like what it should. Get a decent 2X12 cab, and you`ll be way closer to what you want. You`ve already got the attenuation part, so use it as intended.
    CT.
    I hear you! Right now its a financial limitation that prevents me from buying a cab. The other consideration is limited space in the band van. I know that a 4-12 cab might present a problem but a 2-12 cab would probably work.

At the moment I was exploring what my options are using what I have. Otherwise the Marshall will just be sitting around not being used which isn't the worst thing, but I like to play with my new toys.