Thread: Bill Kirchen and his Tele

Bill Kirchen and his Tele

(Mods, please move this if there's a better area for this one.)

At lunchtime today I had the pleasure of seeing Bill Kirchen tear it up with his beat-up Telecaster about a mile away from where I work. He was working with just drums and bass (Sarah Brown), but it's not like you missed anything, the fills he did were great! You need to be a heck of a rhythm section to follow Bill on all those musical impressions he does on `Hot Rod Lincoln', and they delivered!

I was at the back of the room but I did get to see just how worn the neck and body of Bill's guitar are, and the flipped control plate. The guitar sounded absolutely great - everything a Telecaster can do when driven by a true expert.

His right hand moved all over the strings to control the dynamics and the tone; that was a lesson in itself on how to make a Tele talk. And I could definitely see just how the flipped controls make the steel guitar volume swells and wah wah effects easier to do. I may just do that mod this weekend! :)

Bill was using a drip-edge silverface Deluxe or Vibrolux Reverb and only a couple of pedals - I saw a familiar shade of green on one of them. The delay he used on a pretty rocking version of `Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues' sounded grainy and analog to me. Again, the range of tones he got was staggering - from Bob Wills to Jimi.

I guess I can't complain... a free Bill Kirchen set that I could walk to. I don't get out much, but this one was definitely worth it! :)

fezz parka

Re: Bill Kirchen and his Tele

Quote Originally Posted by BigsbyTracks
    His right hand moved all over the strings to control the dynamics and the tone; that was a lesson in itself on how to make a Tele talk.
    Just shows you how important the position of the picking hand is. Kirchen is badass!

Forum Member

At lunchtime today I had the pleasure of seeing Bill Kirchen tear it up with his beat-up Telecaster about a mile away from where I work.
    Let me compliment you on your superb eyesight! :rofl

I got into a horrific row with Bill about thirty-five years ago in a club in Berkeley and haven't seen or heard him since.

I understand he's mellowed substantially.

Probably playing the same axe, too.

04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

Quote Originally Posted by Bongolation
    Let me compliment you on your superb eyesight! :rofl
    Ow, I deserved that one!

I think I remember a quote from Bill that he has been playing that same guitar for something like 30 years. It sure looks like it!!

Fezz - what you said! :yay

Forum Member

I think I remember a quote from Bill that he has been playing that same guitar for something like 30 years. It sure looks like it!!
    Seriously, I think it's the same guitar, or at least the same body, and it was rough even back then. I should imagine that he's completely worn out several necks in that amount of time, though.

04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

That's how you relic a Tele.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by NeoFauve
    That's how you relic a Tele.
    Amen