Thread: Bad Monkey and Behringer V-amp

Bad Monkey and Behringer V-amp

Anyone tried them?

Re: Bad Monkey and Behringer V-amp

Together? No.. I tried the V-amp2. Not my cup of tea, but I really like the Behringer modeling amps.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Owned the V-amp2 for like 2 weeks...took it back to GC for a refund. Save your money, the thing sounds like crap. Harsh, unnatural, and noisy.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

No one's tried the naughty monkey?

I'll have to google that one (naughty monkey)...sounds more like a personal problem to me. That monkey ought to be spanked...

Wonder if they'll come out with another one called 'cheeky monkey'...

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenjangle
    Owned the V-amp2 for like 2 weeks...took it back to GC for a refund. Save your money, the thing sounds like crap. Harsh, unnatural, and noisy.
    Well, I was not going to say it... ;)
    Photoweborama

Vamp is built and sounds like a toy.

A bunch of guys at the TDP have the bad monkey and give it great reviews for $40 its a no brainer.

Forum Member

The Bad Monkey is the current big-buzz cheap OD stomp. What everyone will be saying in six months is another story. I expect I'll get one for my colorful collection of pointless and unused distortion/OD stomps when I find a long deal on one. I personally don't think that I'll ever be satisfied with any stomp with the usual circuit configuration found in cheapies; they all sound like junk to me when chording. Supposedly the Bad Monkey doesn't, but I have my doubts as the problem seems to be due to a lack of a wet/dry control. We'll see.

I was considering getting a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro - the rack unit - but I understand that they are often noisy (a problem with Behringer and other cheap gear, generally, due to low-end components) and that there's a design problem with the backup battery circuit that results in short battery life and chronic memory loss, which may be why they're being blown out lately.

Whether or not the basic V-Amp is substantially better or worse than other modelers, I can't say. They're still in the early stages of the technology as far as I'm concerned and they all have a ways to go yet. I use a J-Station, but it's mainly for convenience as I'm too lazy to doink around with my real amps and microphones in my studio. Sad, huh?

04DEC05: Gone -- So long!

Quote Originally Posted by Bongolation
    I use a J-Station, but it's mainly for convenience as I'm too lazy to doink around with my real amps and microphones in my studio. Sad, huh?
    Me too, Bongo...it's a great tool for getting quick demos to tape (showing my age again...I mean, down to bits and bytes). I can put down 2 or 3 guitar ideas in the time it takes me to get a good mic sound. For my purposes, the J-Station is a keeper.

I played mine live into a PA Wednesday. It worked out GREAT. I was able to fine tune it to exactly what I wanted, and I did not have to bend over like I do with my amp!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama
    I did not have to bend over like I do with my amp!
    ???

Where was it? You have something like that Line 6 POD stand, or was it in some kind of chest harness? :rofl

My answer to this is problem buying full-stack and half-stack cabs. Real smart, huh?

Ooh! That reminds me! Is your post-op shoulder good enough now so that you can help me load 147 pound SVT 8x10" cabs? :rofl

Forum Member

Well, you'll all be thrilled to hear I just pulled the trigger on a Bad Monkey.

Should have it within about ten days and I'll let you know what I think.
    :rolleyes:

Forum Member

Hey, I haven't forgotten about you, it's just that the Bad Monkey STILL hasn't arrived.

Forum Member

OK, it's here. I have the Monkey.

I tore it apart and gave it the once-over. It's a machine-built (in the USA for a change) circuit with micro-miniature surface-mount components. The main ICs are JRC 4580 dual OpAmps, three of them, and a switching IC for the on/off switch. Most of the components are so small that even under magnification I can't really get a grip on what's there. The jacks & pots are plastic, but seem adequately strong.

It works surprisingly well.

My acid test for OD/Distortion stomps is how well they keep definition with complex chords and for once, the previous owner reviews of this stomp are correct in saying that the Bad Monkey does indeed maintain that definition very well, despite a lack of wet/dry control used in more expensive stomps. The distortion is not noticeably grainy or objectionable.

The basic stomp box design is good and intelligently thought out, particularly the spring-loaded pins holding the stomp lever in place over the battery box.

This is a next-generation overdrive unit in every way and as far as I am concerned deserves the positive buzz it's enjoying among players. It's not just hype for a change. This thing's OK.

I was very surprised. Definitely a best-buy at its US$39.99 average street price. I got mine for US$29.00 (delivered) from eBay.

I got a Bad Monkey pedal from the Mrs. for my birfday.

It really does live up to the hype, folks. It's livelier that the TS9, but not harsh. Very "organic" sounding(if that makes sense).
    Time wounds all heels.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajay315
    It really does live up to the hype, folks. It's livelier that the TS9, but not harsh. Very "organic" sounding(if that makes sense).
    I think this OD may be the unit that finally brings players into 21st Century thinking about stomp design and manufacture.

It is the first cheap stomp I can think of that makes use of the inherent technical superiority of current components and robotic micro-miniature surface-mount manufacture in producing a consistent product that sounds like what people want to hear from a cherry-picked vintage stomp at a small fraction of what it would cost to make using older technology.

There are a whole wad of stomps that use this tech, but this may be the first one that overcomes the usual prejudices in favor of obsolete stomps.

Last edited by Bongolation; 03-17-2005 at 03:51 PM.

UPDATE:

Okay, four months later: I'm still digging the Bad Monkey. It's my "go-to" stomp box, along with my Rat(which is obviously for heavier applications).

I got the DigiTech Screamin' Blues pedal for father's day: gainwise, halfway between a TS9 and a Boss DS-1. Kind of a "harsh" sound, but I like it.

But I LOOOOVE the Monkey.
    Time wounds all heels.

Forum Member

I got the DigiTech Screamin' Blues pedal for father's day: gainwise, halfway between a TS9 and a Boss DS-1. Kind of a "harsh" sound, but I like it.
    I almost bought one of these the other day to see how closely they duplicate the DOD "Mystic Blues" pedal on which they're based and have replaced in a microminiature, surface-mount tech..

From what I gather, it's pretty close, but I stopped myself at the last miute from buying out of curiosity yet another stomp that I'll never use.

That's progress! :)

I've got a bad monkey. Had it for about 3 months now, sounds great, I still like the sound even tho the honeymoon phase is over.
    However, the switch died on it. So that would really be my only quibble. But for $35-40 it's not that big of a deal to me.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hackubus
    I've got a bad monkey. Had it for about 3 months now, sounds great, I still like the sound even tho the honeymoon phase is over.
    However, the switch died on it. So that would really be my only quibble. But for $35-40 it's not that big of a deal to me.
    Still under warranty?

Anyway, those switches are under a buck from someplace like Mouser. Seems like either they last forever or else they go fast. Sometimes they just get stuck and need to be fiddled with.

Hmm. Maybe I'll pick one up for when I don't want to bring the board. I did that with my direct drive, but it, too, went on the board.
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Could be fate, but I borrowed one and immediately my amp died. It's a Peavy, what can i say? Fate kicks as much shit as providence, ya know?
    Shine your light.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D.
    Could be fate, but I borrowed one and immediately my amp died. It's a Peavy, what can i say? Fate kicks as much shit as providence, ya know?

I don't think the Bad Monkey is snobbish towards Peavey amps, but it could be that the amp was intimidated!
    Last edited by ajay315; 07-24-2005 at 12:39 PM.
    Time wounds all heels.

**double post**oops!
    Time wounds all heels.

Got my Bad Monkey yesterday. What a stupid name. I bought it so that I could have a dirt pedal that's off my board, so I could travel light for open mics/jams, etc.

The pedal, OTOH, is great. Nice, low-gain tones with none of the mid-mud that you can get with 'screamers. The first dirt pedal with active tone controls that I've liked. This thing kills with a strat and both my princeton reverb and tweed deluxe.
    Gonna try it out with the band, to confirm what I'm getting in the bedroom, but I really, really like this. I'm even considering buying a second one to put on the board, and retire the Fulldrive!
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    I'm even considering buying a second one to put on the board, and retire the Fulldrive!

Yowza! Now that's high praise, indeed!
    Time wounds all heels.

Did all but one tune at practice tonight with just the Bad Monkey, Strat and the 3x10 Bandmaster.

The simple rig was a lot of fun, and I got some great tones. It forced me to work the controls a bit more, but the overall result was much more satisfying.

I did notice that bypassed the tone overall was less bright than the board which I played for one tune. The setup being:

DejaVibe2>Fulldrive>Direct Drive>AD-9 RI>TU2

Either the Monkey is rolling off a bit of the high end, or something's (AD9 or TU2) is brightening it a bit.

Anyway, it's got a very cool, natural sound. We rocked tonight. Drummer is finding his groove, and all is right with the world.
    orange picks

all is right with the world.

...thanks to the Bad Monkey!
    Time wounds all heels.

...thanks to the Bad Monkey!
    Yep, and part of the whole perspective shift when you change your setup.
    orange picks

Yep, and part of the whole perspective shift when you change your setup.

That's why I had a variety of OD pedals in the first place: ya gotta switch it up every so often!
    Time wounds all heels.