Thread: Roscoe Beck Five String

Forum Member

Roscoe Beck Five String

Just picked up a Fender RB V and was wondering if anyone else has one and what their impressions are.

I'm loving mine - it has so many great pup combinations and tones! Extraordinary clarity and articulation. Nice neck feel and string spacing, too. Heavy, but I take a seat when I play it.

I haven't had a chance to try one yet, but I've only heard good things about them. I thought Fender was supposed to release a new version at NAMM. The price is right too. I don't really play 5s except for a crappy 5 string fretless I have, but I may pick one up a RB V some day.

I met the man at a backyard BBQ in Texas. He's a cool dude. I'd never heard of him before then.

Forum Member

Roscoe Beck

If you check out Robben Ford's material, w/ the band "The Blue Line," you'll hear some good work by him.

Yes. We also chatted about his work with Eric Johnson--who I never really cared for.

The RB5 is, in my opinion, one of the best 5 strings anywhere near its price point. I don't own one because 4 strings are hard enough, without adding one more! I've tried a few RB5s and all were heavier than I wish, but that probably help the tone. If Fender ever made a similarly priced 4 string version, I'd be banging on the closest dealer's door! There are more quality tones in them than anybody could use in the course of one night!

Forum Member

RB V

Yes, especially in it's price range, and then some. And the weight? It's as heavy as a small horse. I never stand and play mine.

BTW, the only decent bass OD pedal I've run into - the Barber "Deep Fryer," which growls like a big dog, but stays nice and tight and articulate, is a nice pedal to run it thru.

*shudders*

five-strings scare me.
    "Wait, it's a trap. Get an axe."

Forum Member
    If I had the $$ for another bass, I'd go for the RB V. But, like a couple of other guys have said, I got my hands full with 4 strings.

As fate would have it, I stumbled across a beautiful, minty teal green metallic one today for what I thought was a good price based upon what I've seen them go for on ebay the past few months. This one is virtually unused with the tweed case and case candy and plastic still on the guard. I've got 14 days to return if it doesn't suit me, but it was effortless to play at the store. We'll see.
    Ken
    Last edited by Ken; 08-16-2002 at 06:03 PM.

Forum Member

Teal Green Netallic

Sounds like mine! 14 days expired a long time ago for me - I've still got it. It's a keeper. Keep us informed.

Forum Member
    I'll join the "if I had the $ to burn, I'd buy a RBV" crowd.

I had the pleasure to play a beautiful red version about two months ago. It sounded great unplugged, and was thunderous plugged in. I only scratched the surface w/regard to the pallete of available tones.

Ahhh, maybe someday.

Forum Member
    Ive got an RB5 and its an animal, Tone for days. This bass has a very unique sound, clear and articulate no matter what setting you use. Each pup has a mini 3 way toggle switch, and there is also a 3 way pup selector switch w/push pull tone switch employing a slight cut on the neck pup. Overall a truely excellent bass.

Originally posted by Ken
    I've got 14 days to return if it doesn't suit me, but it was effortless to play at the store. We'll see.
    Ken
    Well, 14 days has passed. This baby's going nowhere! What a great bass!

Forum Member

Picture This

Groovy. Now, are we gonna see a new RBV bass on your avatar?

Re: Picture This

Originally posted by 3rdStone
    Groovy. Now, are we gonna see a new RBV bass on your avatar?
    Good idea. ;) When I get around to it, I'll do a Fender family photo. My old Jazz is still my favorite Fender, though.
    Last edited by Ken; 09-03-2002 at 10:20 AM.

Forum Member

Old Jazz

It looks like SRV got ahold of it. :tw59

RB5

I've decide to let this great bass go...check the Marketplace

HERE

Ken

Forum Member
    :cowb

I used to own one. As far as I'm concerned, it's one of the best 5-string basses on the market. For the money, it IS the best. Yes, it's heavy and the neck is WIDE. But, it's got tone, many different tones, that will just about do anything you want it to.

Unfortunately, I had to quit playing mine due to a hand injury that made playing it a little to painfull over a 4-hour gig. I miss it, but I've got seven other Fender basses, six that I really like, to keep me company.

Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!
    Keep Thumpin'! Sammy!