Thread: Bridge Raised need help.

Forum Member

Bridge Raised need help.

Ok guys, i have a 50th anvi. strat andi just put some jazz string(daddario ej21), gauge .012 on it. the bridge is raised up alot, almost about 1/2 inch and i'm assuming its because i'm using heavy gauged strings. what can i do to lower the bridge back down? put another spring? is that an job i can handle myself?

thanks

fezz parka

Re: Bridge Raised need help.

Remove the backplate and tighten down the claw. That'll do the trick.

Fender spec is 1/8" off the body. They even cut their Tremolo's at that angle if you have a US strat. sort if irritating of you want the bridge on the body.. When you take the arm off it hits the body....

But yes, the claw is what you have to do...
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

what is the claw? should i be doing this myself? how much should i tighten it?

what you do is remove the cover off the back of the Strat

Inside you will find what looks like a claw with two screws that hold it to the body, and springs on the other side, going from the claw to the bridge.

Tighten both screws evenly about three turns, then retune. you wil have to retune a bunch of times until the springs equalize.

When they equalize and stay in tune, mesure the gap between the body and the bottom of the bridge. If it is more than 1/8", then redo the process over and over again until you reach an 1/8" gap.

You can do this. I know you can.
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by photoweborama
    what you do is remove the cover off the back of the Strat

Inside you will find what looks like a claw with two screws that hold it to the body, and springs on the other side, going from the claw to the bridge.

Tighten both screws evenly about three turns, then retune. you wil have to retune a bunch of times until the springs equalize.

When they equalize and stay in tune, mesure the gap between the body and the bottom of the bridge. If it is more than 1/8", then redo the process over and over again until you reach an 1/8" gap.

You can do this. I know you can.

And if you tighten the claw completely to the body and haven't reach the required gap,Then you'll have to add another spring.This will probably bring the trem flat to the body,then you'll have to loosen the claw until you get the desired gap.

If you do have to add another spring.first add the new spring (assuming the current springs are on the outside and middle),then move the middle spring so that you have 2 springs on each outer sides of the claw and the centre one is empty.

Hope this makes sense

Watto
    Reynolds Valve-art ,The best amps ever made.

Marks way will work but I can save you some time in retuning. Loosen the strings just a bit and find a small block of wood that is wedge shaped. Wedge the block of wood in the trem cavity (remove the aforementioned cover first) between the trem block and the body until the bridge is the height off of the body that you want it (Fender spec is 1/8 ", I like mine a bit lower). Then tighten the strings to pitch. Set your action and intonation and retune to pitch. Then with the trem cavity facing down, tighten the claw until the block of wood just falls out. (It is best to take one or two turns on each screw and then do the same to the other one, that way the screws wind up being the same length when done). What you are left with is a Strat perfecty in tune and intonnated and the bridge where you want it.

BTW the block of wood I use is 2 inches wide and 1 inch long. It tapers from about a 1/2 inch to 1/4 inch in width or something close to that.

That sounds good. I'm going to do that next time I have to re-tune from scratch.
    Photoweborama

Instead of the block of wood I use an old packs of cards. Dead easy to get the right thickness - just add or remove cards - and when you've got it right just wrap in tape. Works under Floyd Rose style bridges too.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

hey, that's cool too!
    Photoweborama