Thread: Mustang pickups

Mustang pickups

are Mustang pickups pretty much the same as Strat pickups except the cover and the non-staggered pole pieces??? what is an average value of a Mustang pickup in kOhms ????
    Can I just get me a nice Strat pickup with non-staggered poles and put it under the Mustangs pickup covers..????

Re: Mustang pickups

Mustang pickups are pretty much the same as Strat pickups. I don't think Mustang covers will fit over Strat pickups, but they can be installed without a problem. I have a couple of Strat pickups in my Mustang.

i played a friends mustang for awhile and the pickyps were absolutely awful. i didnt like the guitar at all but the pickups were dreadful. im glad ur taking steps to get new PUs in there as i hear one thats set up right is a pretty sweet guitar!

Forum Member

Yes Mustang pickups have a very low output and

Ford never built a Mustang Pickup. They did build the Ranchero which used the Torino as a base, but it never caught on like the Chevy El Camino though.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

mustang, musicmasters, duo sonics and the likes all used the same pup. the original in my musicmaster bass measured around 5.6k or so. i put it in my strat and it sounded great. is the guitar an ri? cause i had an ri mustang and immediately pulled the stock pups. there is nothing inherently wrong or bad sounding with these pups. they just aren't a strat or tele which they get judged against, which is unfair. but you might have some real clunker pups, it does happen.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    mustang, musicmasters, duo sonics and the likes all used the same pup. the original in my musicmaster bass measured around 5.6k or so. i put it in my strat and it sounded great. is the guitar an ri? cause i had an ri mustang and immediately pulled the stock pups. there is nothing inherently wrong or bad sounding with these pups. they just aren't a strat or tele which they get judged against, which is unfair. but you might have some real clunker pups, it does happen.
    my friends guitar was an original. the thing just all around blew. sounded shitty, looked shitty and played like what it was, a cheap starter guitar made 30-40 years ago that didnt have any sort of usefulness.

he had a clunker then.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    he had a clunker then.
    saying he had a clunker doesnt begin to describe that thing. id rather be punched in the face than even play that guitar again. yea...its that bad.

:hee

good line man!

I've been playing mix and match with some pickups that I have between my '65 Mustang and one of my Strats which has become something of a project Strat because of its ash body. As a result, my Mustang now has a Seymour Duncan 5-2 in the neck and a Fralin SP-43 in the bridge. It sounds quite awesome now!!