Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: International Blues Challenge - Memphis

Re: International Blues Challenge - Memphis

email sent, Candace.

Looie, you of all people shouldn't sweat this. Yer' lead tone was the BEST in BB's last year, period. We were upstairs raising hell when you got it wound up and smokin'.
    They call me Mr Smooth

Thanks man! I won't sweat it too much. I'm just going to go and do the best I can do and keep my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by shoebox22
    OneL - You've got mail.

uncle looie - When will you be in town and are you interested in trying to meet up with the gang?

Tele-Tubby? Anybody else?

(mumble) Like herding cats.
    Meow. Thanks shoebox. My wife, Leigh Ann and I are trying to decide on how to best approach this. We'll have to get a babysitter for a night out so what would you suggest as the best way to approach the event for the first-timer?

I'd like to see UL do his thing and by the schedule it looks like the New Daisy is the place to be to see the widest array of talent. Any pointers?

Looking forward to it!

TT
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

TT - Best advice I can you and Leigh Ann is.... comfortable shoes, no real plans unless they can be adjusted easily, wristbands, and follow your ears. You'll still miss some great talent because there's just too much going on at the same time. Make up your minds what you definitely WANT to see and find out WHERE that is, like big horn bands, solos, one particular band, whatever. Then work around that..... or pick a club you like, grab a table early, and HANG on. We've done both.

At this point, I don't even know what's happening where. Last year, BB King's had the bigger bands because the stage was bigger, and we knew both uncle looie and Uncle Pat were going to be there so that's where we stayed all night. Before that, we bounced around several clubs. This year we're working again so we'll be locked into the New Daisy. If we can get there in time, I'm hoping we can have supper at Blues City before we have to report but I'm not counting on it.

Beale Street will be LOUD and cold and crowded. Tell Leigh Ann to ditch the purse if possible.
    They're REAL anyway.....

Thanks Candace. Leigh quit carrying a purse when out after one was stolen on Beale. She met saxophonist Fred Ford for lunch on day to interview hime for a story and when they got up to leave her purse was gone. Leigh is 6' tall and can take care of herself but Fred was the consumate gentleman. He did what he could to help recover it, even helping to look around outside. This was a couple of years before he passed away.

Anyway, I'll likely cruise Beale Friday night and we'll both go down to the New Daisy on Saturday.

Hope to meet you and RC.

Cheers,
    TT aka Erwin
    On SmartPhones:

"Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But That only permitted other men with machines to enslave them." Frank Herbert.

Don't know if Volker's going to Memphis with "Big Mo", or not. They do play together all the time. Why two weeks ago they rocked the big stage at Feather Falls. Really incredible! They grew up together. Hope he doesn't get "Big Mo" disqualified, or something. Mo is a fine strat slinger & he don't need no Volker- but combined with Volker's LP all is perfect.

(oh shit oh dear, hope there isn't a problem...*home alone face slap*).

Maurice Huffman, is his real name. Just known as "Big Mo".
    Shine your light.

RC and SHOE FYI

We won't be findable on Saturday/Sunday or so I have been told. We will be celebrating our 7th wedding anniversary (which is actually Monday, February 7) this weekend and RC has made some arrangements he hasn't even shared with me other than to tell me to pack and get in the car.

Shoe
    They're REAL anyway.....

Just got off the phone with Mo. Everything's fine. Because Volker is a regular member of the band, and they are doing all original tunes, Volker's not considered "a ringer". Shoot, half the players there have been signed at one time or another. *whew!*

They're leaving Wednesday...please don't get Eric The Sax Player drunk, folks. He kicks even greater butt...geeze I wish I was going. Maybe next year. *sigh*

p. s. You CAN bring in a "ringer" but you will be judged waaaaaaaaaaay down for it. Sorry B. B. you can't come with me next year.

Aym wondering what shoe's gonna pack. * * Congrats, U-2!!!

("Jello Party" in the hot-tub at the Cole compound, okay? I'll bring the whipped cream & tequilla...somebody clean the closet so's we have a place to hide if'n they come home early or we lose track of time)
    Shine your light.

And that's exactly why I'm blowing off the competition part of it and just going there to play my set and have a good time. I fail to see how a guy in two bands signed to Blue Rock'it (distributed by Blind Pig Records) and who also tours with Robben Ford can be considered "undiscovered talent". I've known who he is forever and have his CD's at home. Just doesn't seem very fair to me that there are truly unknown bands coming from halfway around the world and spending lots of their own time and money to compete with a signed professional.

I'm not gonna be a poor sport about it, I'm just gonna go have fun and forget about the competition aspect of it because there's no use in worrying about it. Nobody ever said the music business was fair. :toobad
    Last edited by uncle looie; 01-31-2005 at 11:02 PM.

Forum Member

I just did a fund-raiser for a local band last week.

Look for "Breakaway" and "Joe Vicino" on the Acoustic side, and "Lex Grey & The Urban Pioneers" on the electric list.
    Strats and Mustangs and Coronados...OH MY!

Quote Originally Posted by uncle looie
    Just doesn't seem very fair to me that there are truly unknown bands coming from halfway around the world and spending lots of their own time and money to compete with a signed professional.

I'm not gonna be a poor sport about it, I'm just gonna go have fun and forget about the competition aspect of it because there's no use in worrying about it. Nobody ever said the music business was fair. :toobad
    That is EXACTLY why we have chosen to completely forget about any of these competitions, battle of the bands, showcases where there is a ''winner'', and some ''sanctioned'' blues societies.

Music isn't a competitive sport, it's music, and we've focused on furthering our careers (whatever that may be), without having to depend on getting screwed everytime we turn around.

Since we dissed this kind of stuff, alot, ALOT, of doors have opened for us, simply because the people who ''are'' in the business, completely discredit the bands that play them. Why, i don't know. But it seems that is the way that it is. Couldn't get this door to open, quit doing those things, and getting the ''negative press'' for being there, and doors started opening..

But, that's just what's worked for us. Not, that it works in every case. But, i've gotten screwed more times than ever gaining anything off of these things...

JoeP
    www.liquidgroovemojo.com

Yeah, this will definitely be the last time I do one of these things. If one band is allowed to bring a signed pro, how many others out of the 120 or so are? It's not worth the aggravation. I agree with you about the "competition" aspect too. That runs totally contrary to the reasons I play music in the first place.

Besides that, I looked through the list of winners over the last 15-20 years or so, and with the exceptions of about four acts, I haven't heard of any of them. So, it's not like it's worked out to be a golden opportunity for most of the bands anyway.

I'm looking forward to hearing it all and just glad I'm not a judge.
    They're REAL anyway.....

Forum Member

From the IBC rules page:

"Cautionary note on “ringers”:
    The use of “ringers” – that is pairing side men who are professionals that may have appeared on nationally released albums – with an “unknown” front man is not prohibited by the entry criteria. However, use of such personnel falls outside the intentions and goals of this competition, and as such, may be taken into consideration by the semi-finals and finals judges."

Hopefully they'll take this into account.

In any case, best of luck Uncle Looie. Wish I could be there.
    Still playin' the blues...

Thanks man! Like I said, I'm not gonna sweat it. I'm just gonna go and do my thing and have fun.

Exactly the attitude I took last year. It's cool in itself just being part of that Beale scene.
    Hope ya' get a great draw....and make us proud!
    They call me Mr Smooth

It would be great if they would do the IBC thing, like SXSW.. Where it's no competition, just a huge showcase of talent in front of the industries' best.

Then, the true essence of the music would live. They are wanting to ''preserve the blues''.. I don't ever remember Howlin' Wolf being in a competition with Son House..

It would make it way more enjoyable, not only for the bands, but for people to come out and just listen to the music, not judging on the ''performance''.

Listen to Skip James. Tell me performance has anything to do with the power of the music..

Just my .02....

JoeP
    www.liquidgroovemojo.com

We heard from OneL last night. We haven't had a chance to see them yet but they're here!
    They're REAL anyway.....

BTW - Happy Birthday Uncle Pat. :hb2
    They're REAL anyway.....

Hmmmmmmmmmmm. I'm contemplating these things.

Volker is NOT a household name. He's worked long and hard and made plenty of sacrifices along the way. He's disciplined and has that "motel tan" and a pile of bills just like you and I. He's signed to a piddley-assed label, so it goes.

The point is he's a sideman, homie, and supporting cast member for "Big Mo" who is a great songwriter, singer, strat slinging guy. He "should" win it. He's got the hooch in spite of his size. A voice and heart worth sharing.

Reflecting on music competitions:

I used to hate that aspect, but it DID force me to rise to a higher level for the band, the money, the accolades. I see this on reflection.

It's a fine line here. I wish I was judging. (i take bribes )

This is a moment in time that separates the wheat from the chaff.

Getting to go. Perform. Share your music, meet and commune with your peers, shine your light where it's wanted IS what it's all about. Shoot, I'd be happy to sit in the dark and listen. Yet, if "Mo's" songs get delivered to the world ala his great, great singing and playing, all will be well, whether he "wins" or not. Gets disqualified. Bites the dust.

Sister Luv's Travelling Salvation Band

"There's too much ironing and not enough pressing..." (me)
    Shine your light.

The list of competitors is out!

IBC Bands
    They're REAL anyway.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shoebox22
    The list of competitors is out!

IBC Bands
    I've played with Big Rick and the Bombers (the Charlotte rep) before. They used to host a jam in Raleigh that I went to when I lived there.
    Still playin' the blues...

uncle looie at his finest! Go get 'em, Brian!
    They're REAL anyway.....

I wish you were judging too, Annie. You would be a little more qualified than the news anchor babe that judged a couple of years ago.

Nothing beats an RC and a MoonPie!

Yeah, I wonder if she still smokes?
    They're REAL anyway.....

The Hoodoo Band is playing. The guitar player with the shades on is the guy I study with here in Connecticut.

Give them a listen if you're at the festival. Great traditional blues.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

The Hoodoo Band. Done. It is absolutely amazing how small a world it is when you TFF. I guess 's flock together.
    They're REAL anyway.....

If you get real ambitious shoe, walk up to Paul, the guy with the shades and say, "Tele-Bob wanted me to tell you 'bwah ha ha'". He'll probably fall down laughing! One of Paul's guitar students is a lurker on TFF and keeps Paul up to date on all of our antics here, part of which is the excessive use of "bwah ha ha." So defining an utterance is this, that every time Paul calls, or meets with me, the first words out of his mouth are "bwah ha ha". If you have the nerve to do it, Paul will certainly flip out and then tell me the story in detail when he gets back. (preceeded by a "bwah ha ha" of course) Note the exclusion of the "!". We exchange very sedate "bwah ha ha's" Nicely understated.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Hey! That was RC pretending to be ME! I resemble that remark! I was in a meeting at the time!

I'm about to head outta here and go downtown. Wish mah po feets luck as I can't go home and change.
    They're REAL anyway.....

Knock their socks off, Looie! ( i luv your geetar, btw) Soar and shine! Make us proud! I put some "heads up" out for you and I've never heard you, but if'n your good enough for RC n Shoe...you're fine by me. Dazzle 'em and don't be afraid to overplay/perform.

Whatta list of performers/groups! I know summa those folks. (guess yew knew that)

Makes me wanna fall into "Memphis Minnie" mode for next year.

Copy-Cats R Me

I can hold my own. No diamond, nuttin' special or anything, but what a "shimmy hootchie koo soiree adventure" it'd be. Getting to jangle your stuff in front of folks who love it is delightful, eh?
    Shine your light.

I have Looie's cell #. I'm calling him to see how they did last night.
    They call me Mr Smooth

Well, they played at King's Palace, a small room about 1/2 a block down from BB's. Brian said he thought they did very well, playing last in the rotation (which means first up tonight...uggh) but they'll be hitting some fresh ears.
    One of the venue bands dropped out, so that will increase their odds. Plus, a few of the other bands may be a tad too "rockish"....so.....we'll keep our fingers crossed.
    Shoe & RC, keep an eye peeled for The Stella Vees....the band that beat GBusy this year (sans Uncle Pat). I've played with most of them, and they're a very traditional sounding band. Too bad this is also the same bunch that mucked up what the Lexington Blues Society had going, but that's another story in itself.
    They call me Mr Smooth

Will do, UP, if we can.

I'm going to hold my comments on the acts at the New Daisy as I saw judges sheets last night since I was working the judge's table verifying signatures before sending the sheets down after every act.

I didn't get to any other clubs last night. RC made a quick trip to wish uncle looie well just before they went on but he had to come back before seeing them perform.
    They're REAL anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by RCinMempho
    I wish you were judging too, Annie. You would be a little more qualified than the news anchor babe that judged a couple of years ago.

Amy Spears was a judge? What's that about?

I worked at channel 3 for six years. Was she holding out her mojo from the rest of us?

TT
    On SmartPhones:

Did anyone go see Leslie West and Mountain at Neil's last night?
    On SmartPhones:

We didn't. We got home about 12:30 and collapsed. I guess I got to sleep almost at 2 just in time for the alarm to go off at 5:30. :zzz
    They're REAL anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Tubby
    Did anyone go see Leslie West and Mountain at Neil's last night?
    A fellow named Stramanx did (who posts elsewhere), but all he said was that he went. He didn't comment on how it was though.
    Nothing beats an RC and a MoonPie!

Next year Paris Hilton and Hillary Clinton, I s'pose.

*blargh*

"I'd be on a shining silver plane dropping into Memphis..."

if they knew what wuz good for them. :!
    Shine your light.

Well, although my lungs wouldn't let us go over to the jam to await the announcement of the finalists, I can tell you that at the New Daisy, all stops were let out last night.

Thursday night's performances were, and I'm talking all 9 bands, a little "disappointing". RC and I even discussed it when we got home and were wondering if the other clubs were better because we wanted to take the bands apart and grab a singer here, a bassman there, drummer, horn, sax, harp, and put together one super band on Thursday that really was BLUES. We couldn't pick a true winner on Thursday and looking at the judges scores, neither could I.

Friday night, I guess the bands made up their collective minds what the competition was all about and gave their all. There wasn't a band that you wanted to miss. This was how it was supposed to be.

A few that were worth mentioning if you happen to see them in your area:

Killer Blues Band - New Jersey Shore
    The front man plays an electric violin that he pipes through pedals and can make that thing sound like a funky guitar or jazz or sit up and beg. He's got a tight little band to back him up and worth seeing.

MISbHAVIN with Pat Hunter and Danny Kean - New York?
    Bigger band, Pat's got the style and figure to front, Danny's incredible on the keyboard. Look them up.

Mary Bridget Davies Group - Cleveland
    Mary's got the pipes and the band's tight but you've got to hear her guitarest for some chops to make you just sit down and drop your jaw. He was our pick, BOTH NIGHTS, for consistancy in just plain knock your shoes off playing.

Lady Sunshine and the X Band - Detroit
    Talk about a complete act. Sunshine can write and she can make your woman say "uh huh, that's right, honey" and point a figure right at you.

Mikey Jr. and Stone Cold Blues - Baltimore
    Fun, great bassist, tight, and Uncle Pat will understand when I say that Mikey would run G Busy off the stage.

Anybody hear from friends yet?

We'll be leaving soon and out of touch. You'll probably know who won before we will. :rofl
    They're REAL anyway.....

I must've left Brian's cell # at work....dammit. Looked all over the house for it.....nada.
    They call me Mr Smooth