Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I wonder if Teles are something you discover when you get older?

Re: I wonder if Teles are something you discover when you get older?

i am older, started taking up guitar last year. I quickly switched to my current mim tele about 2 months ago. I only try to play blues & jazz. My epi dot, though setup prefect, is not as easy a player as my tele in my hands anyway.

I had 3 guitars by the time I was 17. The last one I added in that year was a Tele, so I guess yes...it's an older guy's guitar!

fezz parka

Just thought I'd throw this in here: Good ol' "Muddy" Clapner.:lol

I have been playing a tele since I was 13, 28 now.

You know Fezz, I wonder where that old Tele is today? Old man probably has it squirrled away somewhere.

fezz parka

If I was him, I'd be playing it instead of what he's playing now...(even if it is red)

Or this one:

I'm playing mine more and more these days....they really sit in the mix well with almost any style,plus you can't get much simpler unless you play a Jr.
    For the lowdown truck drivin' stuff,a tele can't be beat.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Refin

We are honored to have you on this side of the trax
    pie
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

TFF Stage Crew

Hey Refin! Hope to see you in the Jam Zone over here too!

Pie and PC..thank you for your warm welcome,I am humbled!
    Er........there a jam section HERE too?
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Forum Member

I tried one when I was 16, but bought a new Strat instead.

I'm 44 and having a 54 Esquire Relic built.

You are RIGHT!!!!
    Strats and Mustangs and Coronados...OH MY!

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    If I was him, I'd be playing it instead of what he's playing now...(even if it is red)

Or this one:

That multi -colored thing he's playing now? LOL...yeah, it's gross looking...WAY worse than CAR!! BTW, That JB Tele you have wasn't so bad in CAR...it looked Burtonesque!

To show my ignorance...... WHO THE HELL IS THAT??? ^^^^^^^^^^^

clapton

Fezz, the last pic I saw of him with that Tele/ Strat neck combo was in Toronto Canada, 1969 at a Peace Festival. He was playing with John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band. Had a '67 Plexi with 2 - 4X12 WEM Cabs...Two of my friends in Toronto were there, and said they can still hear that big tone ripping through the mix....

I like the nostalgic pics you post. It's more than memories, it sometimes reminds us of why we play in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie
    clapton
    Thanks. And Clapton looks like he should be in Jimmy Buffet's band with his ugly new strat. :lol

I actually think I know the reason. You need to have a great amp to make a Tele work. Plug one into a Crate and it's pure agony. Plug the same Tele into a nice tube amp with some natural compression and speaker breakup, and it's heaven. Most new players get way too fixated on the guitar and the amp is kindof an afterthought. Or they sit in the bedroom and don't use an amp at all.
    Reet on O.S.A.
    My Tele was always inspiring but when I plugged into my Tweed Deluxe the first time... heaven.

B.T.W., I'm one of the other few people who know of and hold Tele slinger Roy B. in very high regard.

Guitar Ray, I'm starting a collection here at work for your 1st Tele fund.
    I live with fear every day and on the weekends she lets me go racing..

Quote Originally Posted by sabby
    Thanks. And Clapton looks like he should be in Jimmy Buffet's band with his ugly new strat. :lol
    Maybe it's his tribute to his old buddy George Harrison. George was known to tote the odd crazy paint job around from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonefreak
    Maybe it's his tribute to his old buddy George Harrison. George was known to tote the odd crazy paint job around from time to time.
    Could be. Rocky sure was cool. :yay

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    To me, it demands too much of a player. After playing for about 25 years I finally began to get the Tele urge.
    Maybe it's just something happening in Blighty then, but the majority* of new bands popping up this side of the pond are hoisting Telecasters - they seem to be the "guitar du jour". You can't switch on the telly or go to a gig at the moment without seeing someone who is barely 25 (let alone been playing for 25 years) knocking seven shades of **** out of one. Not that I'm complaining! Long may it last.

* This may be a slight exaggeration as I haven't got any empirical evidence and I haven't conducted a survey but I'm sure you'll get the gist of what I'm saying. Perhaps when we start exporting bands again (which will hopefully be soon now that non-"talent" show, manufactured by television, music is making a welcome return) you'll see some evidence of this most welcome trend.

Yup, Pagey usually not identified with the Tele. IMHO his Tele tone all over Zep's 1st album is some of his best though. Inspired my tone to a large degree, for better or worse. Just like Joe Walsh not ususally associated with the Tele but if you are diggin' any James Gang stuff you're diggin' a Tele through a Champ, NOT a Les Paul through a Marshall. Surprise!

Hey Guitar Ray... yes I would say a "Kief" plank like you're describing is a lagit Tele 'cause it's still packin' the vintage, 3 saddle bridge and the base plated Tele bridge PUP. Turn on the bridge PUP and it'll be pure Tele all the way!

Tele-Bob... too bad you didn't bring your P-90 Tele to the jam at Lou's. That might be my next weapon.
    I live with fear every day and on the weekends she lets me go racing..

Forum Member

Great thread. I picked up Teles for the first time last year. I played a Strat when I was younger but never learned how to play well. There was little instructional material available to me back then (late 80's) for the music I was into. Even though Teles are unforgiving, they are very rewarding, and sometimes it takes a more mature player to make that commitment. I know it's going to take me years to perfect my Tele playing, so I know I'll always have something to do!!

I had a tele along time ago when I was young. Soon I got caught up in all the shit I didn't understand. Now after gigging with a Tele all the time, I finally get it. But I do agree, you have to find the right amp for a tele. It is paramount to gettin in the zone. Back then I didn't appreciate the simplicity of it all. There really are so many nuances you can get out of a tele, but it takes a while to learn how. That my friends, to me, is the beauty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka

Or this one:

Is that a photoshop? What was he originally playing?

Edit: Tele since I was 16, 20 now.

I've been playing Teles since I was 20, that's a long time now and I've been through quite a few of them. I don't think they're that unusual with newer bands though. I mean Tom Morello always had one with Rage Against The Machine and still does.

Thats true. Graham Coxon is a guitar hero to everyone who's 25 and younger in the UK, and he's used loads of Teles:

Quote Originally Posted by pc
    Not too much later I was reminded of that song from Cosmos soundtrack. I went back and looked for it. Turns out it was "Fly Night Bird" by Roy Buchanan.

Go figure.
    Wasn't that a LP?

Just askin'. I have the album (vinyl baby!) & I think that was during Roy's LP period. Not an expert though, could easily be wrong.
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by Frinky
    Is that a photoshop? What was he originally playing?

Edit: Tele since I was 16, 20 now.
    Nope. No photoshop. It's the real deal. Like I could get the shadows on the cabs that good...:hee

Last edited by fezz parka; 03-01-2005 at 12:28 PM.

In my 20's, I favored Gibson hollow bodied electrics, because I was mainly an acoustic guitar player. In my 30's I discovered the joys of the Strat. In my 40's I started moving into Tele territory mainly with the body shape, but non-standard pickup configurations (e.g. three pickups, humbuckers, and P-90's). Now that I've hit the half-centry mark, I now have two "real" Telecasters, a MIM 50's Classic, and a MIJ '52 reissue. I love the simplicity and honesty of the design, and at this point in my life, I also feel that I'm accomplished enough as a musician that I can play a Tele without it sounding like total sonic doo doo.
    Knowledge is the small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify. -- Ambrose Bierce

Forum Member

I did'nt start playing guitar until 1996 (at the age of 43) and I thought I was strictly a humbucking man. I bought a Tele about 2 years ago but prior to that I thought a Tele would be the LAST guitar I'd ever think about buying. It seemed that the rare times I tried one they always had the 9.5" radius neck, which I still can't play. Oddly enough it was an issue of Guitar World that dealt with the Tele's 50th year that sparked my interest, and I became interested with the Tele from a historical viewpoint. One day I was in my local music store just checking things out when I saw the Tele that was to become mine. Maple neck, chrome red body with a tortise shell pickguard. The radius on the neck was much flatter so the playability was more of what I was use to. I played it for about an hour, put it back and thought about it for a week. Went back the following week and bought it. Since then I've installed Lindy Fralins Blues Specials and I find I'm digging this guitar more and more. I'm finding out through a bit of tweaking just how versatile of a guitar this really is. I really enjoy playing this guitar thru my Classic 30 more so than my Les Paul, and I'm really looking forward to how it will sound when I get my amp back from having the Blueguitar mods done next week. A great, fun guitar to play.

I love Teles. I will some day own a Custom Shop relic. I have played a few of them that had the mojo in spades! I have one real Fender Tele and two hybrids. Love the shape. Love the sound. I always looked at Teles as "old man" guitars too. Now that I'm closing in on geezerhood, it seems like the right guitar for me.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I never gave much thought to a Tele over the years. True, nothing else quite sounds like one, and their distinct sound has touched every facet of music since their initial release onto the market, but for the longest time I viewed them as "one trick ponys". They were only good for twanging out some country licks, right? How wrong could I be? Anyone who owns one will readily chime in "Extremely!".

My GAS started building for one about a year ago. We all know the story, I initially told myself it would pass, then began the research into the variations of the model hoping that might satisfy the itch. Next was the visits to the music stores, telling myself I was only going in for strings or picks, but my eyes averting over to the walls to see what was hanging there. Next was the inevidable trying them out, you know, just to see what all the fuss was about. Pretty soon it was all consuming, I knew I would have one (at least one), but which one? Oh the agony.. Yup, GAS in full swing. We've all been there, some of us live there.

Now that I own one (only one.... for now.....), I find it is a guitar that covers a lot of territory. There are still certain things that other guitars are better suited for, but the Tele can pull them off as well. But if you already have the other guitars, you'll find that you use each for what it does best and switch between them all. If you can only have one guitar (oh the madness of even contemplating such a thing), the Tele would now be my choice. A "younger me" would probably have said something different.

As for age being the determining factor, I feel it's quite possible. After a certain amount of time playing these stringed miracles of mayhem, we begin looking and listening to the basics again, reevaluating everything we've learned through the many years and instruments we've lived to enjoy. Right at the root of that sonic soul searching is the Tele. It is such a basic, in your face, raw tone monster just waiting to be unleashed, that we can't help it. Player, guitar, cord, and amp - The bare essentials... No extra mojo or magic boxes cluttering the way, the Tele faithfully delivers the tone, playability, character, and style time and time again. Like an old friend we've never met, the Tele just slips right in like it's always been there.
    ________
    Avandia settlement
    Last edited by Mesotech; 03-24-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Ok, I'm old (46). And I'm in, almost... bought my first ever "Tele" from Dave's today.

I say quote Tele unquote because its a MIM Nashville.... and I gather I need to do a switch mod before I can remove the quotes.

I'm giddy with anticipation.

Awesome news Clay, congrats! Hope to hear it in the Jam Zone here soon too.

:)

Thanks BF. I can't wait. I won't feel like such an interloper (and mondo lurker) on the TFF with this baby... but watch out, the guys on the LPF can't hardly shut me up in the Jam Zone.

Yeah, we even took up a collection to buy Clay out at the LPF zone.

We came up with $4,967,324.96....but Clay wouldn't take it.

Said Clay:

"Dudes, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, and this man's gotta play."

Congrats Clay

I've been getting into a Tele more also. It's amazing what this place will do to a feller.

While Tele Bob may be closing in on Geezer-Hood, I am there.

Geezer am I.

:)

When my peers were pullin on the Floyd Rose equipped pointy head Jacksons of the day, I was tearin it up on a beat 69 ES335 and a 63 SG Special.

Ok I had an original/first run americam B.C. Rick warlock on the backline as a nod to the early eighties but it didn't get played a lot.

So I was good with old guitars, but you couldn't give me a tele.

F*@K that!

That was an old man's guitar.

As Geezerhood approached humbucking pup's sounded muddy, too dark, lifeless.

I tried strats and really wanted to like them but that damn middle pick up and the volume knob were in the way of my pick and muting hand.

Then I found this in a locak music shop:

It had every thing I needed.

A bigsby on a tele? Alright!

So between this old girl and a 55 Les Paul Jr I am now ruined for other guitars.

I need nothing else.

OK, so as a young man I may have been confused, but it seems the kids today are a lot more tele-savvy.

My neighbors son age 14 just picked up a new american standard tele.

He's a great kid with a great guitar.

Best regards,

Brian the Geezer.
    The Great White North. Home of the Dancing Beavers.

^^^^ I love happy endings. :)