Thread: "D'OH~!!!"

"D'OH~!!!"

Remember the uglo-yellow Duo-Sonic II body that I got?

Well silly me had thought that pre-CBS Duo Sonics had the same bod7y shape as the pre-CBS Musicmasters. So I thought this would fit:

"Oh no, it doesnt."

So now the guard doesn't fit, I got to look again to find one that does, and a neck, and a control plate for that thing. What a blooming heck.

Re: "D'OH~!!!"

Wow,that looks like quite a project.I've never owned one of those but I did have a Mustang(my first Fender) years ago.

Good luck,you'll have cool guitar there when ya get it all together.
    Women want me
    Fish fear me

Forum Member

Personally, I'd just sell the body and get something that wouldn't be such a pain in the ass. But that's just me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Strat-Mangler
    Personally, I'd just sell the body and get something that wouldn't be such a pain in the ass. But that's just me. ;)
    You know, I have thought about that too... The icky yellow I have paint for (a darker silver like Fender's pewter), and I have some pots and pups in the house. It's just a matter of KEEP CHECKING ON EBAY, which is fast becoming a tiresome obsession.

Froggy, thanks for the compliments - I do hope that I make it to the end!

And Richard, thanks for the link :yay

good idea w/ Richard H!

and, GY, did you save your searches on Ebay?... you can get them to mail you when a new item is put on the auction block if you just personalize your search. (unless you know that)......i like that feature!
    I have a few odd search topics that rarely come up, but when they do, i get an email to tell me. however, i usually takes an hour or 2 to get the email, but it's better than not knowing at all!

now @ Chandler, you might end up paying $50 for that Pguard, but if that's your only option, then , oh well, at least you can choose your color, and it'll be brand-spankin-new, and it's hard to knock b-s-n!...also, you can get it now instead of waiting 4 ebay.

good luck......8]

and 1 more thing,,,,,,,I WOULD KEEP IT THAT YELLOW COLOR!!! I LOVE IT THAT COLOR!!!!!.....I personally would just get a singly ply pure white PG.....ahhhh, pure yellow and white......how primary is that?!?.......playschool baby!!!!

and another thing.......would a toranado PG fit that?
    Imanidiot.

Hey, Frank. Thanks for the tip wrt saving searches on ebay. I never knew that was how it worked!

I see what you mean about the yellow. But it is a lot ickier in the flesh. It's like a plasticky, faded/pastel grafitti yellow. At the moment the plan is to do it up in that pewter paint that I have, or "whatever" blue that the guitar was painted in, originally.

Looks like it's going to be a long project, but it will be cool when it's all done.

Forum Member

you could always custom cut your own.......make a cardboard template first

WD products make them to order, if you just send them a template. I'm sure there must be other UK options too.
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
    C. S. Lewis

www.myspace.com/ronnieleslie
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...36&ref=profile
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6070659...7626159170245/

Ditto on the template, glory. I had a duo-sonic with the short neck. Crunched power-chords like crazy. We won the battle of the bands with me doing Townsend in Drag.

Hot pups through a stack

(I had mine sandblasted, btw. it had decoupaged flowers on it- BARF!)
    Shine your light.

Hi Ron, thanks for the tip. I guess if I get REALLY stranded with it I could always go to Denmark Street ;)

Annie D, that is just excellent. I was planning on putting a JB Jr in it someday when it is done. I have put some stuff on ebay so hopefully there will be sufficient funds to finish this project, as I am between jobs at the mo.

Then again I really must get my priorities sorted. .

Hey Gloriyang! My oldest son says that sticker on your guitar body is from a skateboard company! Allot of SOCIAL DISTORTION has gone through that body I muse...that thing is going to have serious MOJO! Woul be nice with a HB in the Bridge and a nice single coil neck pick up!

Hi Skip. Thanks :) Yeah, the sticker is from a company called "Spitfire". Don't tell your son but I have taken that sticker off already. I find it a bit too evil looking for my cup of tea.

And this slab of wood does have something quite magical about it. So I really look forward to putting a 60's neck on it, to see how they work together. Right now "all I need" is a neck, and the pickguard+control plate. The guard and plate I am not fuzzed if they are not vintage, but I am quite keen to get a old neck.

Here's a pic I am linking to the Reranch site. This is the B Plan for how this little Duo Sonic should turn out, colourwise.

that color and look would be fantastic!
    look forward to project upates.

Kool project. I'm on Reranch and I know they can't ship any paint to UK, heck, they can't even ship to me on this rock. I had a Duo body, neck and case I sold for $25 at a garage sale years ago when I moved...I could kick myself today. Good luck with your project.
    For a giggle, here's me with my blue Mustang...years ago. It's long gone, but I do have that Musicmaster bass behind me.
    http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showpi...=729&pid=33281
    Hopeless modaholic...

fezz parka

That took a lot of balls butnut......a lot of balls.......
    I salute you
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Quote Originally Posted by fezz parka
    Cheers, Fezz. ;)

And moonpie and butnut too.

No joy in locating one of those control plates yet. Anyone got one they can send me a tracing of? There are some very cool graphite sheets and copper sheets on ebay which look like excellent pickguard material....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

And I am currently eying up these 2 necks:

What sort of prices should I go for, for these refin-ed necks?
    Last edited by gloriyang; 12-30-2004 at 03:35 PM.

Gloriyang, you are so cool.

Regarding that wretched color - you can go either of two ways:

First is to refinish the guitar into something more acceptable looking

The other way is to revel in the pure ugliness and have a guitar so stunningly putrid to look at other guitarists will be in awe of its horrific visage!
    s'all goof.

love that Jaguar neck! good luck!
    and Butnut you are jamming Man!

Hi Curtis. Thanks for the compliments. The "Uglo-Sonic" idea is kinda intrigueing... We'll see how it all goes, as I still have a number of parts to round up.

Skip - thanks for the tip - will bid for that Jaguar neck... wish me luck!

So far there's a fair bit of interest in the things which I am selling, which is good too

hehe, thanks guys...I think. Thought that would be good for a giggle. That Duo neck looks good, wonder what the reserve is...good luck.
    Don't know if ya wanna buy from US, but some items, like the control plate was offered to ship to UK...ask the sellers, they may ship for ya.
    http://search.ebay.com/duo-sonic_Oth...1QQsotrvalueZ1
    Last edited by butnut; 12-31-2004 at 02:33 AM.
    Hopeless modaholic...

Hey gloriyang:

This is my first post, and I hope it helps you...

I'd advise against the carbon fiber or copper sheet thing. Carbon fiber is a BITCH to cut to shape and does not sand smoothly to get your edges nice like I know you want them. Copper: well, it takes some serious metalworking equipment to cut a guardplate out of this stuff without distorting it. Did that eBay listing say .8mm? That's only .030 of an inch, which is too thin for a good-looking plate.

Stick with the celluloid or celluloid derivatives. They work easily with hand tools and look great.

--Senhor California

Hi dois_dois _e_meia : wav nice to meet you. Thanks for your suggestions. After an afternoon's searching on the net looking at different carbon sheets, I think I have given up on that idea. But the copper thing, I wonder if there were some Strat ones made professionally, would people buy them??

P.S. Butnut, thanks for the pic and the ebay link!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Hokay... things are looking up.

Won this a few moments ago.

Also got a sign making shop in the UK who was very kind and has agreed to cut a pickguard for me. It's going to be a one ply white guard for now.

Still need that control plate....

How about having the sign maker cut a control plate out of plastic?

Hi Don, because, "Sod's Law" would have it that - as soon as I have placed an order with the sign maker, the appropriate item would appear on ebay or other online shops. Also, I was looking into having a silversmith to custom make one for me, with sterling hallmarks etc.

Yes, I was that desperate.

But looks like ebay finally have them available. May be I should email "Jim in Texas" too.

Hey all. Things are going well with the Duo Sonic "1.5". Thanks to you guys and some others who have hekped me find the parts. I am picking up the neck later today and I am real excited about it. Even though I will be charged some 60 bucks for the import tax. :toobad

Anyhow, I am looking forward to the next stage - picking out the paint.

I think it's gonna be some kind of baby blue ;)