Thread: New Fender Mustang

Forum Member

New Fender Mustang

What are your opinons on it do you think its worth $490?

TFF Stage Crew
    Is $490 retail or out the door?

The short scale guitars have always intrigued me. I've been looking at guitar shows for a vintage mustang for quite a while but haven't found one yet that I thought didn't play like shit. I would like to try a new one on for size to see how it fits. They definately have a cool look to them if nothing else.

Forum Member
    Mustangs came in two sizes: 3/4 neck and full size. I must admit that the "full" size is slightly small, but not too much. I don't see where the new one offers a proper 3/4 neck. For $490.00 out the door it beats the current price for a decent "vintage" 'stang. They never were anything amazing in the way of tone, sustain, or playability. I should know, as I played one as my main axe for ten years (poverty'll do that for ya...).

I had a '66 Mustang about 15 years ago.
    I just never got tone out of it that I liked. It was pretty good for slide though.

Forum Member
    so, is Fender USA gonna make these? I ask because Fender Japan never stopped making them. I wonder if the recent success with the paislys has opened a door for the Mustangs. Saw a very cool pewter one with matchung headstock a few months ago that I wanted but I`m nervous about that bridge.

Forum Member

Mustangs

They are made in Japan. They never stopped making them, they are just importing them once again.

True that Mustangs came in two scales, but the longer 24" scale is still not true full scale, but it is also not 3/4 scale. This is why it still feels smaller, even though it is close to a Gibson scale.

Forum Member
    Could someone give me more info on the Mustang. History, construction, pickups, tone, etc. I like how the Mustang looks. I've been looking for an inexpensive one. The Mustang Walter Becker is playing in the photo on the Steely Dan "Aja" Album/CD has a cool look. It has a natural finish, maple neck, two black single-coils, and a nice clean, stripped-down look. It looks like Becker might have put a Strat neck on it. Anyone know?

Hi Jim Shine! Cool to see you over here!

I used to play a '96 MIJ Mustang as my main axe for awhile. I feel in love with its looks, small size and originality, but in the end I realized that it kinda sucked in the tone department. Its acoustic tone was even worse than my friend's particle board Squire.

I once played a pre-CBS '65 Stang that I was going to buy but never did. It was all original Oly white -- looked gorgeous and felt much better than my basswood MIJ -- for only $750. Still kick myself for never buying it, but I'm also convinced that my Tele Custom and Hamer Studio do a much better job at giving me my sound than that Stang ever would have done.

As for their history -- they were started being manufactured in 1964 as the "high end student Fender", in three colors (red, blue, white), with rosewood only (as on all Fenders of that era), and that trem bridge not found on any other Fenders, and the 3-way slider switches also put on the Duo-Sonic at the same time. It was then manufactured until 1981. In about '69-'73, the "Competition" Mustangs were made, with the racing stripe finishes (these are the most desireable today). In the mid-'70s maple was added as an option (almost 10 years later than the Tele) to rosewood, and the plastic parts became black as on all Fenders, plus the "stove" knobs were replaced with Strat knobs. Not many other changes took place, other than the usual finishes and CBS-headstock stuff.

There used to be an awesome Fender Mustang website by a Jimmy Macke, but it has been down for years now.

Forum Member
    Thanks, for the info Henrik. There is a 1977 Mustang for sale on eBay with a natural finish and maple neck. Hey, I know you by another name.;)

Forum Member

24" Scale

At 24", a Mustang is very close to a normal Fender 25.5" scale guitar with a 1st fret capo. Throw a set of strings on a Strat, place a capo at the 1st fret and tune to pitch to see what 24" feels like.

My wife is interested in picking one up as the smaller scale and body fit her better than a Strat.

What I want to know is, how easy is it to make adjustments? For instance, if I wanted to raise or lower the action, or adjust the intonation - is this a DIY or would I need to haul it to a tech?

Also, can the trem be set so that it's either blocked, or non-floating (downward travel only)?

Forum Member
    well i got paid today and i have decided to buy a new competition mustang in the blue i should get it within a month so i will let you all know how it is!

Forum Member
    I started on a '66 Mustang and can't imagine doing anything but hanging it on the wall which is where my friend displays it now.

Forum Member
    well i orderd it about 2 weeks ago and they said at guitar center until november so i hope i get it especially after i paid in full!

Forum Member
    Does owning a Jag-Stang mean I own half a Mustang?

Actually I played my friend's vintage Mustang, and it felt exactly like my Jag-Stang, 'cept borken in.

His guitar is Red and modded with a humbucker...sounds freakin' great IMO.

Forum Member
    Well I know you posted that a long time ago. But I wouldn't have a new Mustang. Mine is a c1977 and it weighs more than most bass guitars Fender has put out. The new ones feel like toys. But if I did buy one $490 seems kind of steep. I was lucky enough to find mine in a pawn shop about 10 yrs ago for $289 with the orig Fender Hardshell case. Say what you want. I can stun an ox with it and it stays in tune. I am left handed but play right and it has always given me great tone through the right amp.

I've got a '65 Blue Mustang which just oozes '60's mojo. Sounds pretty damn good too.

Here's a couple of Mustang related sites:

http://www.smallclone.com/mustang/

http://members.tripod.com/fenderbron...ronco/id3.html

http://home.catv.ne.jp/kk/mrmaxima/