Thread: way over yonder in the minor key

way over yonder in the minor key

was listening to some peter tosh last night and realized my repertoire is woefully inadequate when it comes to minor type stuff. so, in the interest of expanding my palette, what are some of y'all's favorite minor progressions, and associated soloing strategies?

Re: way over yonder in the minor key

Now is a great time for you to study modes. You'll find if you play a C scale over different chords you will magically find one where it has a flatted third.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

House of Rising Sun, Summertime, Wayfaring Stranger, Night Life, Blues Skies, etc. Explore the classics, and take them where you want. Then go to half-n-half minorish ones like Stormy Monday, Thunder And Lightning and Spanish Johnny...Dylan, Prine, Sonny Terry 'n' Brownie McGhee. Bo Flipping Diddley.

Pardon me I'm half-sloshed on a few sips of my neighbor's Giant Margaritta...it's Fryday, I'm Fried.
    Shine your light.

Forum Member

Why not try using the Dorian mode (major scale with a flat third and flat seventh) it fits nicely into the blues scale we all know and love and I think it has a more upbeat sound than the straight minor..

It's like the mixolydian is monkeying around in a slightly sarcastic way and the dorian is more of a deep breath okay a bit more serious.

You know these of course?
    Chordfinder and (my fave) No Hands

Mgade thanks for the link!