Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "you can play the guitar? Would you play something?"

Re: "you can play the guitar? Would you play something?"

Funny, after almost twenty years of playing guitar (classical included) I've never really been asked this question -- much. I guess I don't usually tell people I can play, and when the question DOES come up I usually don't have a guitar around anyways. It's not that I can't or won't play -- it's just that it hardly ever comes up among non-musicians...

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    And, as far as singing; just do it. I know people whose vocal qualities suck as bad as the day is long, and they sing, and people clap. For the life of me, I just don't understand where they find the balls to do it, but they do, and that is cool.
    "Like a Rolling Stone" Too easy, and with Dylan, it really doesn't matter whether you can sing or not... I mean, who's going to know? But you have to know the words.

Or, I take them downstairs to show off my new Vox Wah pedal, and blast out a little Hendrix -- a medley that starts off with Foxy Lady perhaps, segue to Purple Haze, get into Voodoo Chile, and finish up with A Star Spangled Banner. Make you you do the fake "playing with your teeth" trick in there somewhere.

Don't really have to sing the Hendrix stuff, either... ;)

-Mark

Personally, when somebody says "play something" I just rip into "Amazing Grace."

Well, at least, that's what do now.... :rolleyes:
    If it sounds good, it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S
    Personally, when somebody says "play something" I just rip into "Amazing Grace."

Well, at least, that's what do now.... :rolleyes:
    That's funny...cause I can't sing, but that is probably the only tune I can both play and sing at the same time....
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...

Forum Member

When they ask me that I say, "Sure", and I play them "The Rodeo Song". Obscene lyrics always crack people up!!

I'll often rip into a nice foot tappin' swing groove for about 18 measures. Then we're done.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Forum Member

Learn some eagles stuff,easy to play and most people like the guitar in the songs.

Forum Member

Body and Soul

Forum Member

I started playing guitar about 5 years ago at a young age of 45. I have been taking lessons 1 hour each week since I started. I just started lessons with my third instructor. I told him i do not want to hear the word theory because I have spent so much time on theory and scales. I too could not play a full song when asked to and I have never played in a band. I just started with my third instructor and as i said I told him no theory just teach me songs and the leads to them. wow am I having fun!!! The one problem I have is finding other people to jam with. I have posted on other forums and have put up a poster in my local music store and have not rec'd one response. I live in Toledo, ohio anyone from the area please e-mail me at bsilver@keystoneautoglass.com

keyglass...try posting on www.craigslist.com ....[<theres 1 in toledo]...i'm sure there r other sites too where u might b able to get jam partners

and i agree w/ tommy.....get some Eagles books and jam to them
    easy, good, and u prob already know the words
    Imanidiot.

In a situation like that, play something everyone knows, especially if you can't/hate singing. Blackbird is a simple song and most people know it...most any Beatles song you can play, everyone else can sing. I wouldn't be interested playing them on stage, but it gets you out of that situation feeling fullfilled and non-douchey.