Thread: After 34 years....my first real guitar lesson.

After 34 years....my first real guitar lesson.

Had my last real teacher/student lesson when I was 13 in the fall of '69 :bug ....shit...I can't believe it myself.

Anyways...I hooked up with a GREAT teacher same age as me and like wow!!...my eyes are opening up again all over man.
    90 minutes...1/2 hr BS ing about gear(his and mine), I brought my best Vibro Champ, plugged straight in, tuned up and away we go.

What a great time....worked on commonalities of notes up and down the neck mostly. Started working on some bad habits of mine and just getting a fresh perspective on the whole fretboard.
    2 or 3 lessons a month...great way to spend early Sunday evenings for the winter

I've got real homework for the first time since I finished school in '73

:nelson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Forum Member

Re: After 34 years....my first real guitar lesson.

I'm a '75 grad myself and started taking lessons ~ 3 years ago. You can teach an old dog new tricks. I've had several teachers in my 3 years. The first, a converted bass player, the second a young rocker in college and the third, a fellow with a kid my age. All had something to offer. The "old" guy - his term, wins! Check out finger style Carcasi (sp?) and apply it to rock.

Good luck with the lessons!

Taking lessons is a great way to keep it fresh and learn something new. Even at 46 years old I am mortified at the thought of showing up for a lesson without having mastered last weeks lesson. That alone keeps me working harder to make progress. Can't disappoint the teacher now!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    Even at 46 years old I am mortified at the thought of showing up for a lesson without having mastered last weeks lesson. That alone keeps me working harder to make progress. Can't disappoint the teacher now!
    Ya hit the nail on the head T-Bob ! :ahem

:nelson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Forum Member

wow :P Im only 16, but Im taking lessons. And I love them. Everything that my teacher throws at me I learn in the next half hour after the lesson. And I just keep practicing it over and over again, just waiting for the next lesson and for something new to learn. I hope I'll be the teacher when Im your guy's age :P

well God bless you guys if you can take lessons! I never did and prob never will. .....so, that being said, I think it's great if one is able to take and learn thru lessons. And age has absolutely nothing to do w/ it! For me, it's a mental deficiency (read;issue).

If it works for you, then it's exactly what you need. :yay
    Imanidiot.