Thread: Ok, who's farmed out a paint job to a body shop?

Forum Member

Ok, who's farmed out a paint job to a body shop?

I might throw my tele body in the car tomorrow and visit a body shop on my lunch hour. Anyone have an idea of what I can expect to pay?

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Ok, who's farmed out a paint job to a body shop?

From the work that I've seen, most folks that spray cars are not the best choice for a guitar. Painting metal and painting wood require different skills.

YMMV.

Forum Member

I know what you mean - I once had a car painted at Maaco. Yeesh.

There's a few shops around that do lots of custom work and wouldn't return me an orange peel finish. I'll ask 'em for the hell of it.

A sanded poly body will be no problem, they can prime and shoot a single stage poly (color in stock) for maybe a hundred bucks, more if it needs a final sand/buff. A basecoat/clearcoat job will also run more. Time is money. I doubt any auto shop will touch a bare wood body, gotta be sealed, sanded and paint ready. I use only auto paints with no issues, actually all early Fenders were auto colors. Just ask if they do as thin as possible finish.
    Hopeless modaholic...

I was working with one for about a year. It shouldn't be a problem. Maacho? I wouldn't take a barn door there. :lol

Stay the hell away from any of the 'cheapie' paint/body shops. Maaco and the old Earl Shiv or however it's spelled.

A good HotRod shop with a good paint guy you can TALK to directly is the only way to go. Most of the good guys are 'artists' and can do the job, if they can't they'll tell you. The body should be totally sealed and sanded smooth with at least a 4-800 sand before even applying and solid topcoat or esp a stain before sealing if a translucent is required. If he knows his sh*t, the painter will fill you in with all the details.

Talk to some of the pros/player's in your area and find out who they recommend.

Hammer on.........Blair

Brendan, we have an RV bodyshop that has done outstanding work for me. They are adept at working on many different materials and doing custom paint. When it's slow they do custom motorcycle painting. They did a Tele for me that is black with chrome illusion flames. Charged me forty bucks.

A good painter is a good painter. Talk to a few guys, find one you're comfortable with, and you'll most likely be pleased.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

KRYLON.

Trust me, if you do it right, only 1 of 1000 can tell, I don't care what anybody says. The body prep and clear coat(s) is the secret! (PS: do many thin coats, NOT 1 fat coat!)

FWIW, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT PAINTING A CADILLAC OR LES PAUL, JUST A REGULAR GUITAR.
    Imanidiot.

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    KRYLON.
    FWIW, I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT PAINTING A CADILLAC OR LES PAUL, JUST A REGULAR GUITAR.
    :hee

i've painted guitars with spray cans. frank's right, bunch of light coats work real well.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    A good painter is a good painter. Talk to a few guys, find one you're comfortable with, and you'll most likely be pleased.
    This is almost like looking for a tattoo artist! But I totally agree with you. Tattooist or painter.