Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello. Just bought a Nocaster but regret it...

Re: Hello. Just bought a Nocaster but regret it...

jeebus bob! turn your master up to 5! i've yet to play a gig around here where i could turn my reverberocket past 4! usually i hit about three (which is the lower end of the fabled "tone zone") and vince is bitching about my volume. and that's w/ my tele-you oughta see him have a cow when i plug in my es-135!!

still in all, i agree that a tele doesn't really come into it's own 'till played through a solid tube amp with some heat.

fezz parka

Quote Originally Posted by zerolight
    Ironically, Albert Lee doesn't play a Tele any more does he?
    Here a pic from two years ago. Pink paisley too!

The LP (and your PRS) and the Tele are very different guitars so I can understand your problem. But you'll have to approach the Tele from another angle. It won't do the LP thing. I think it is fun to own a few different guitars, the playing style changes when you change guitar. I don't play the same way on an LP as on a strat or tele. And that is the whole point.

Great Tele sound here BTW:

Tele

bonefish, if you set your Master Volume up on 7 or 8 and then bring your pre-amp/gain volume up slowly from "0", you essentially are using the pre-amp volume as your "master" volume. Using your amp in this fashion pushes the power amp section harder and gives you that fat power tube drive which cuts a lot better than pre-amp overdrive. It isn't necessarily any louder, it just cuts better because you're driving a different part of the amp's circuitry harder.

At the last California I set Bobcat's amp up like this. After a few tunes he thanked me profusely saying he was never able to get "that sound" from his amp before. He didn't touch the knobs for the rest of the day. This type of amp setting is where the Tele truly shines! It's a raw, barking, authentic Telecaster sound that harkens back to days gone by when there were no Pods, multi-effects units or gain-heavy amps. It's da shit!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I'm going to try that on my solid state Vox... It reacts like a tube amp and is just one channel, so it should work..
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

He *endorses* the Music Man, which I'm sure is a fine guitar. He's still mainly known as a tele guy tho'.

I agree with the "let it sit" crowd. It won't lose any additional value sitting around, especially if you treat it nice, so if you don't need the money, hang on to it.

A tele not only has single coils, but it's also a different scale length from a PRS or LP - that might be messing with you too.

I don't agree that a tele won't do a good job with the high-gain settings. I use gain settings all over the map, & my tele & ASAT handle it juts fine. It's all down to what works for you.

Give it time, brother. & get a decent amp, for goodness sake! ;-)
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

I suppose what I meant with my "gain" comment above is that, the higher the gain settings, the less important it becomes what guitar you're playing. In my experience, they all start to sound the same once a certain level of gain has been introduced.

TB,

There's a lot to be said for your setup thoughts. By raising the master and then adjusting you sound with the gain you get in to that sweet power amp distortion, that at least to my ears, is much more pleasing than preamp distortion.

I use this exact method on my Marshall DSL 401 and find that it makes both my single coil and humbucker guitars sound great. The maxed out lower watt tube amp seems to be a great way to obtain some of the classic tones that I really enjoy.

By the way, while I don't have a tele yet, I am really taken by a Nocaster at a local store. I agree with the other posters here that thsi guitar deserves some time to let it grow on the owner.

I would advise you to give it some more time and keep going back to the guitar and keep trying.
    Up to about two years ago I was a definite Strat only man and would not consider playing anything else.
    Then I joined a heavier rock band and decided to get a humbucker equiped guitar (Tokai Love Rock).
    I loved the look of the Tokai but decided it was too hard to play and did not feel comfortable, due to the different scale length etc.
    Initially I had a real job to palm mute as the bridge was so different.
    I put the guitar back in its case for ages and decided to sell it at some stage.
    Anyway I waited and gave it another go and gave it some time to get used to the guitar.
    I have no also acquired a Gibson Flying V and now I switch between the two Strats the Tokai and the V without even thinking about it.
    They all have their own sound and add something different to the band.

Mark

www.still-life-rock.co.uk
    www.still-life-rock.co.uk

I'm using a POD XT at the moment. Thinking about getting a Koch in December.
    I really don't think you've given your guitar a fair chance until you have palyed it through a good tube amp, turned up loud.

Geeeeeeeeeez, we are a bunch of Tele lovers here aren't we!

Back in the day (mid eighties) I would not give the telecaster the time of day.
    That was an old mans guitar.

I played old Gibsons (a 69 ES 335 and a 64 SG special) as well as a BC Rich (had to, every one in the eighties had to have a pointy guitar).

During that time I tried without sucess to play a strat.

I just didn't work for me, weak pups the damn middle pick up in the way and the volume control bumping up against my little finger during palm muting.

It was the 64 SG that showed me that there was something out there besides humbucking pickups.

The change was gradual, it took years.

Then I bought my tele (a 68 maple cap with factory Bigsby).

That changed everything.

All the issues with the strat were not there with the tele.

And it can roar.

I am now at a point in my life where I can no longer play anything with humbucking pickups.

My Gibson is an old 55 Les Paul Jr.

If you gave me a PRS, i would sell it and look at buying another amp with the funds.

A telecaster is not for everyone, this is true.

But it sure works for me.

Best regards,

Brian
    Last edited by 68 maple cap; 01-19-2005 at 07:22 AM.

Wow 68 maple cap! That describes my own experience perfectly! I too have lost interest in humbuckers almost entirely. If I'm playing hard rock then I'll whip out the Les Paul. Otherwise, it's a Strat or Tele for me!

I don't have a real Tele right now, but I do have a Tele clone. I was going to make a "killing" on it on eBay, but you have to unload them at cost, and the auction winner did not pay....

So, I'm keeping it for a while. I'm going to write an article... "The challenge, overhauling a Tele clone for $50.00 or less. Can it be done?"...

Yes it can.. If you don't include shipping... otherwise it's just a hair under $60.00. If you shield it, it's $65.00.. maybe it sould be $65.00 or less.
    Photoweborama

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob
    I suppose what I meant with my "gain" comment above is that, the higher the gain settings, the less important it becomes what guitar you're playing. In my experience, they all start to sound the same once a certain level of gain has been introduced.
    True dat.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

:-P
    Master of Disaster on the Stratocaster

No, it's not really a bad thing unless you've invested a lot of money in a guitar and then cover up it's true tone with a lot of gain. It's not bad. It's just not necessary to spend a lot of money on a guitar that will be used in a high gain situation that's all.

*****the higher the gain settings, the less important it becomes what guitar you're playing.*****

Another urban myth perpetuated by those that don't use high gain and subsequently don't know anything about high gain tone.

Forum Member

not a myth a all IMHO

-with enough gain and the more subtle accoustics of the guitar are indescernable-period

-i know because i use both gain and non gain and with too much i can hear the differneces i normally can between my production lester and historics , nor even with a strat with a hum at the bridge

I tried this out the other day.. I have my OLP MM1 my Strat and my 10-year-old son's new Gibson Les Paul.

Bridge pickup on all three. Pulled out my Kustom 65 watt amp, which is usually stored in the closet, waiting for the day I will ever join a band..

Cranked up the overdrive to 3/4, kicked in the Tube screamer clone with the level up 2/3'rds, which threw the amps overdrive into an INSANE level of overdrive.... All three sounded almost identical....

I don’t know if there was any real benefit to this test except it ticked my 17-year-old daughter off who has been irritating the heck out of me lately…:hee
    Photoweborama

Formerly joe mama

I use my Nocaster on high gain all the time. I get a ton of compliments. It sounds very close to the original VH tone. Scooped with balls and cuts well, but never harsh. It's very "brown" sounding, or woody. Never losing it's character under high gain. My Les Paul sounds completely different. High gain can bring out the tone a lot of times. It's up to the player to know how to do that and make each guitar sound like itself.

Palm mutes and chunky chords are killer. I don't know what you guys are talking about no high gain stuff. It sounds incredible. Today I was teaching a few Pantera riffs in honor of Dime on it. Next lesson was Jingle Bell Rock jazzed up, and Trans Siberian Orchestra, then Zeppelin. It don't get any better for versatility!!

The Nocaster has balls At least mine does. I've read that they changed the pickup specs. Is this true? My bridge pickup is almost 10K! It's a metal machine!! ha.

...the higher the gain settings, the less important it becomes what guitar you're playing. In my experience, they all start to sound the same once a certain level of gain has been introduced.
    Not sure that I agree with that statement; I must acknowledge, though, that to have discerning 'high gain ears,' it helps to have been a metal/shred type guy at some point in one's playing evolution. A 'blues rocker' is not the guy whom you'd ask about high gain tones nor is a shred head the guy you'd ask about transparent boosts (of course, there are exceptions). You don't have to play a 'metal' guitar to get great high gain tones. My Cunetto strat sounds killer drenched in gain with lots of 'cut'--very different from my old '62 RI to my ears.

And if you disagree, just remember, tone is subjective anyway.
    Last edited by hudpucker; 12-16-2004 at 05:09 AM.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

LOL! Ya never know who you're talking to on these forums.

I in fact spent a major part of the 80's with Kramers, Charvels, Jacksons, Marshall and Laney stacks in stereo through racks of signal processing gear and have indeed knelt before the altar of "gain." It is from this experience that I speak. Granted, many of you have had your experience and expressed it. I don't doubt that what you say is true in your experience. Back in the day, there were times when my sound was far more dependant on the processing gear than it was on the guitar I was playing. Yup, I could even get a Telecaster to sound like a shred metal guitar but I had no desire to deal with the noise of single p'ups, and besides, it's just plain hard to shred on a 7.25" radius fretboard!

I have played in both camps over the past 30 years and in my personal experience, I have found that FOR ME, the higher the gain, the less important the guitar becomes. The cleaner the sound, the more important the guitar is in the equation. That's what happened to me.

Yeah, I tried to word my response in a manner that didn't pain't anyone (you) into a particular 'corner' as it were.

I've heard your clips. I know you can play, man.

Speaking for me only, I can clearly feel/hear the differences and tonal characteristics of different guitars even when drenched in gain. I do agree that fighting a 7.25" board can be frustrating for the wide-benders out there; frankly, that's a main reason that I tend to avoid guitars with the vintage radius.

FOR ME, the guitar used has always been quite important whether plugging into a gain monster or just chording away on my vintage Fender amps. As always, YMMV.
    Tone is in the fingers, eh? Let's hear your Vox, Marshall and Fender fingerings then...

I plan to play all my guitars that I bring this weekend and yes a few Teles thru a plexi '73 50 watt all tube piggy back Marshall and 4X12 cab
    This amp is amazing, no pod allowed on that stage

Teles really do sound best when played with little or moderate gain. They do not do the "high gain" thing well at all. A traditional Tele like yours also forces you to play it like a Telecaster if you're ever going to get a good sound out of it. I don't know why, but Teles are just like that. .
    Never said better!
    Teles do force their "personality " on you....but she's a pretty easy going gal,and gets a totally original tone.
    If you ever get the chance,check out Roy Buchanan's album "Livestock". It's a live show and the tele sounds are just a mess,so good.
    "My flesh and my heart fail...but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
    PS. 73:26

MY JAMS--
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Formerly joe mama

7.25" radius is fine for shreddin'. If you got chops, you got chops. My Nocaster is a bitchin' shred machine. I find the crazy arpeggios and a lot of the speed drills where you barre a lot actually work better with the old radius because your fingers don't have to lay as flat. The super flat Ibanez type radius requires your finger to lay like a straight edge.

As far as I know, Yngwie keeps his old strats at that radius. Of course the down side is higher action for big bends. But the upside is better tone.

I have played in both camps over the past 30 years and in my personal experience, I have found that FOR ME, the higher the gain, the less important the guitar becomes. The cleaner the sound, the more important the guitar is in the equation. That's what happened to me.

Well I agree with you Bob! Les gain more Tone!
    MERRY YULE

And I just got my 51' Nocaster and I Fucking love it!!!! And I have all Historic R9's The sound grows on you then consomes you.:mm
    MERRY YULE

Teles take time...I bought one in 93 and it hung on my wall while I made my way through PRS, Parker, Les Pauls and finally strats...I would pick it up from time to time and think this feels kinda nice but then hang it back up...I committed to strats for 6 years then one day...some 10 years later...I picked up that same tele again and it struck me and I was smitten...the next day I sold all my strats and became a tele player...!!

I'll never go back now...don't ask me what happened cause I don't even know...I can only guess...but all I want to play is teles now...!!

Chow,
    Seegs

Right on Seegs. Those who question or doubt it just haven't experienced the same thing. I love my Tele man!

BTW, it's Ciao, instead of Chow, (just in case.)

Hey TBob how's it goin??

Chow stemmed from a joke and kinda carried over...if you saw a picture of me you'd know why...:)

Chow,
    Seegs

... Not the best way to join a new forum, granted. I bought the guitar 2 wks ago, site unseen, mail order, simply because I've always thought the Tele was the coolest looking guitar in existence. And this one looked like a real cracker. I've always played Les Paul type guitars, with my current main guitar being a PRS McCarty Rosewood. But I thought some single coils might be a nice alternative.

So the Nocaster arrives. And she's gorgeous. And the neck is terrific. Unusually, its got a custom ordered 9.5" radius neck with american standard fret wire on a nice thick U shape, so its nice and easy to play. The ash body is very resonant, creating some nice woodly tones.

Only problem is that 2 wks down the line I discover that I really am a Gibson man at heart. I just have more uses for humbuckers.

Anyone been through this before? Does it take a lot of time to adjust to Tele twang from a bucker guitar? Or is it a case of love at first hear?

Graham.
    Hay zerolight can you tell me if you're Nocaster fits the tweed case? Or is the cases to big?
    MERRY YULE

Forum Member

Hello Hello--
    I know I'm late here, but a Tele through a cranked Vox or Marshall amp is a GREAT sound that can be gotten used to real quick! I also use my Tellys for lots of studio recording [Pro Tools, etc....] and if I need more gain I just run it through a booster pedal of some sort. They ARE very different then the Gibbo sound and allow me to play all kinds of stuff in different ways.
    Brian.

Though I have an 86 Lester and a 97 Strat, I spend a lot of time on my Tele. A lot of the time it is my weapon of choice. I actually put a 57 Classic Plus on the neck spot, moved the tele rhythm pickup to the center, and left the tele lead pup intact.

But please remember, listen to Clapton with the Yardbirds, Page with the Yardbirds and even some of Zeppelin, and many others who get some pretty heavy sounds from thier Tele's.

I usually play mine through my Vox Tonelab in tweed bassman or Marshall Bluesbreaker mode with a TS9 in front of it and some reverb. (The TS9 is also emulated by the Tonelab). You can get some awesome things that way.

Try also driving the rhythm pickup of the tele some with gain or a TS-9. It has a round and sort of raspy tone that is quite unique among guitars. It is my favorite tele sound when playing blues.

Just my own thoughts.

Love all my fiddles, but when times get tough the Tele comes out of the rack. . .

Songsmith