Thread: 65 Ice Blue Jazzmaster value

Forum Member

65 Ice Blue Jazzmaster value

Hi, this is my first post here. I was hoping for some help in determining the realistic value of a guitar that I bought today. It is a 1965 Jazzmaster, I 'm 99% sure it's Ice Blue with a matching headstock. It has the original tan case and is in excellent cond. I would grade it a strong 8 out of 10. I looked under the pickguard and the finish has faded slightly from the original. Other than that and a missing adjustment screw in the bridge, it appears all original. I got it from the original owner who claimed he bought it new in 1963. " The year Kennedy was shot" . Even though I showed him a book with serial #'s etc. , He said to me, I don't care what any book says, I bought it in 1963 !! It was no use arguing so I just agreed with him, paid him and left. If anyone visiting hear knows anything about these, please inform me. Thanks in advance!!
    Richard

Well heck, it's worth a small fortune. How much did you pay for it?

Ice Blue Metallic, if it is indeed that color, first came out in 1965, so there's no way it's a '63. Unless it's Lake Placid Blue. A picture would be nice. I own an Ice Blue Metallic Telecaster (great color!) so I have a good idea what that color looks like. I wonder how it has faded? Has it turned a bit green (compared to what's under the pickguard?). And you're sure it's not Silver? That can sometimes green a bit and end up looking like IBM.

Does it have neck binding? Block inlays on the fretboard or not? Big headstock or not?

Value wise I'd say $3000-$4000, possibly more to the right collector.

Forum Member
    The neck date is 1965, and yes it has faded a bit green, but under the pickguard it is ice blue. It has neck binding and dots in the neck. It is a cool color, the first time I've ever seen it in person I will have to shoot some pictures in the next day or two.
    Thanks for the price information. I imagine that Jazzmasters aren't the hot ticket. To bad it's not a Strat or Tele !!

Indeed! Imagine if it was a Strat. Maybe $8,000? Maybe way more, who knows?

Forum Member
    I know a guy who recently sold a greened out 100% stock Ice Blue January '66 Jazzmaster with small headstock, binding, and Klusons for $2500. He had it on the market for a very long time at $3000, but never got any serious interest in it.

Forum Member

Re: 65 Ice Blue Jazzmaster value

Didn't neck binding appear in 66 or somewhere there abouts?

Forum Member

Re: 65 Ice Blue Jazzmaster value

Bound/dots appeared in August of 65.
    I learned that in-person from a Mr. Shine.
    Strats and Mustangs and Coronados...OH MY!