Thread: portable live recording setup options?

portable live recording setup options?

I'm trying to decide what to get for live recording, of jams etc...want something small & easy to setup/carry.

anybody have any advice?

new Sony HIMD looks like a great idea, but they've hamstrung it because their proprietary format won't convert to .wav files...there is a guy working on a hack though, so maybe this will be a good option when the bugs are worked out?

also the old nomad jukebox 3 is a HD device that'll hold 20/40/60 gigs, running a replaceable laptop HD...but they don't make 'em anymore, and batteries/parts etc are hard to come by & will only get worse. the new nomad zen's don't have a line-in for recording AFAIK

is there anything else out there that is *small*, and doesn't need a big preamp etc, will just work with those mini-mics?

thx!
    "evil men make you kill me,
    evil men make me kill you;
    even though we’re only families apart..."

Re: portable live recording setup options?

Whatever you do - you'll need the recorder to be able to record simultaneously as many inputs as you use on your mixer - maybe even more (for drums especially). The mix that sounds good live at the venue usually needs to be tweaked back at the studio.

The achilles heel to most of these small, portable recorders is they're lacking the ability to record more than a handful of inputs at once.

mini disk recorders are pretty cool. don't worry about not being able to convert on the recorder itself. get a copy of cubase or peak or something and then just input into the computer stereo and record it onto there. then convert it on the computer and burn to cd. if you need any software let me know.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

hey, thx

I only need a single stereo mic/line input....just want to set a mic up & record jams + some live shows. and then be able to edit & do stuff on the PC. I am not interested in .mp3 etc, just lossless

chuck: I was hoping I could transfer to PC faster than realtime...PITA having to wait for stuff to "play" over. that is an option though. being able to copy .wav data over would be the best IMO. ps thx for the offer on the SW, but I have what I need for now

Sony's ATRAC format will not work with any audio editing software that I know of. otherwise that would be the killer setup, I think....unf I don't like buying Sony equipment

hey, moderators, if you're gonna move the thread, you may as well move it into the "SOUND CHECK" area

it's about recording, not live performances....and there's even less traffic here than there

thx

I wish I knew how to do this. Used to wuz you just set up the 4-track Teac and put four mikes round-about. It was surprisingly decent.
    Now you have to have godonlyknowswhat.

Still I read and learn the price stretching further and further 'til I'm running a good digital through the board. This is not always possible, however.
    Shine your light.

Why not just get a Mini Dv camcorder? That way you can record the gig both audio and video. Take it back home, download to computer and do whatever you want with either audio or video or both. I run mine through Windows movie maker and put out little movies a song at a time or the entire gig at once.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

We sub-grouped the main mixer and then ran the subs out to an 8 channel Behringer mixer that ran to a CD recorder. Then another guy mixed the recording off the sub board.. There was more to it than that, but that's all I remember.. The band I mixed for drifted away about a year ago..
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

fezz parka

Spose has it right. Marantz CDR. 80 minutes of uncompressed CD audio that can then be ripped and loaded into a DAW.

Or a G4 powerbook with an MBox and ProTools. But the Marantz is cheaper.

one thing I like about the new HiMD format is it's 1 gig of data...or 90 mins uncompressed audio....media is smaller than a floppydisc, and the players/recorders are tiny too

I can't believe Sony screwed it up, trying to prevent people copying CD's etc...otherwise it'd be PERFECT for recording live stuff. they've encrypted their software & tried to curb any way of lossless transfers :dead

ps Annie I've got an old Teac 4 track reel to reel, but it's hardly what I'd consider "portable" !!!! would be cool to set it up though...I have no idea where to buy good 1/4" tape nowadays

:blbros

Very hard to find and they do get brittle and lose their oomph.

How 'bout a little Fostex MR-8. Cheap enough that if it gets stolen you won't slit yer wrists. Take it home and pretty things up on your computer.

Then I look at the 24 track Rolands and get all lustful.
    Shine your light.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D.
    Very hard to find and they do get brittle and lose their oomph.

How 'bout a little Fostex MR-8. Cheap enough that if it gets stolen you won't slit yer wrists. Take it home and pretty things up on your computer.

Then I look at the 24 track Rolands and get all lustful.
    I know...a friend built his studio around a Roland 2480...my God...the stuff he cranks out of that thing is amazing...he's recorded his own music, various rock bands, country bands...the finished cds are incredible to say the least.

I sit here with an old Teac 4 track and a Roland 880EX that's still in the box... think I'd better get off my butt and use it... :spin