Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who makes the twangiest Tele Pups?

Re: Who makes the twangiest Tele Pups?

FEZZ SAID...."The CS Texas Teles are in the Burton."

BUT....

JACK SAID...."I emailed my bud who is an auth. Fender repair dude yesterday, and he said that there definitely is a difference. Guitars that come with the Texas Specials (which included the TS Strats, the USA ash Highway-1 Tele, and any and all of the Fender Japan Teles that come with them) are not the same as the Custom Shop TS pups you can buy. "

AND...... on the 'official' Fender website/description it DOES NOT mention CUSTOM SHOP, which usually means that they're NOT.

You guys sure know how to confuse a girl~!
    Imanidiot.

The only guitars that I know of that have the CS Texas Special Tele pickups are the Merle Haggard, the James Burton standard and the bridge in the Albert Collins.

The neck is 9.5k and the bridge is 10.5k. They're hot as a pistol.

I've had three sets of these things in my hands in the last ten days and they come in a Custom Shop box.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

fezz parka

What Jim said.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    JACK SAID....(which included the TS Strats, the USA ash Highway-1 Tele, and any and all of the Fender Japan Teles that come with them)
    Sorry Frank. I should have been more specific in that I was asking about the guitars that were actually called "Texas Special" guitars, which would mean the Texas Special line of American Series Strats (now demised) and the Highway-1 Texas Tele. The pickups in these are overwound, but NOT Custom Shop Texas Specials, according to my guy. He just also happened to mention that the recent line of Fender Japan Teles that advertise Texas Special pickups as stock are also NOT the Custom Shop pups.

It makes sense that the Burton, Haggard and Collins guitars would have the Custom Shop pickups, because they all started as Custom Shop guitars (and I think the Haggard still is, right?).

See, it still works.

hmmm....well then maybe my 95 burton was changed?....i gotta check that.

or maybe my pup height is all messed up?....

thanks4theinfoguys...8]
    Imanidiot.

it's all good...........

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by frank thomson
    well i was checking around.....and only MF says CSTEX-TELES....the OFFICIAL Fender site just says TEX-TELES, no CS designation.

I have 2 burtons, and I personally don't find the neck pups satisfactory and/or hot. Now, the CS pups must be hotter if you say so.

Are there 2 diff TT-pups; A CUSTOM SHOP version, and the other version?

just curious is all.
    Fender CS TX tele lead pickup:

http://www.fender.com/products/show....tno=0992121000

James Burton standard tele:

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0138602

(note that the pickups on that page are said to be lace sensors, which is not the case at all. They forgot to correct it, and I suppose they just did a copy paste for the other burton tele page. :spin And if you click the specs, you'd see it as you guys have observed it says "2 Texas Tele Single-Coil Pickups (Bridge and Neck)".)

That's the confusion, no? It might very well be that the same dudes who did the mistake on the burton standard tele did forget to write the word "custom shop" on the specs page. How about that?

That's why I checked the SRV strat and the page for the strat tx specials:

http://www.fender.com/products/show....tno=0992111000

http://www.fender.com/products/show.php?partno=0109200

Note that the pickup page has the heading without the custom shop sign, yet the folder tag just above it says Products > S.P.A. > Pickups > Custom Shop Stratocaster Pickups.

I'd say there is only one type of tx sp pickup. It is just that when you get it in a box, they have the stamp or something.

I had both kinda tx specials, a aftermarket set, and neck/middle from a tx sp fat strat. Don't remember any differences between the two. Actually, the one that came stock were better. (Still I replaced them with Fralin VH's, they rule.)

Peace.

B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack w/his radar
    (and I think the Haggard still is, right?).

I LOVE Merle Haggard. Not much of a guitarist, but one of the BEST songwriters I've EVER heard. I've even seen him in concert. The guys who worked at the club were afraid that he wasn't going to make it on stage because he was so drunk. Some things never change i guess!

I LOVE outlaw country. That stuff is REAL country. Contrary to most of the crap coming out of Nashville currently. :hurl With a couple of exceptions, of course, but that's for another discussion......

Quote Originally Posted by butnut
    I have the Lawrence pup in my Esquire's bridge, I forgot the model # douh! I do know that pup is twangy with just enough balls...got threaded brass saddles, maple neck too...yum. That pup is microphonic as hell. I can softly tap my fingernail on the headstock and it picks up...I'm guessing this is part of the twang magic...is that normal? Even if it is'nt, I dig it.
    i think so. to me that is where the growl comes from. my jazzmaster's lead pup is slightly microphonic, but it lends itself well to how i play, but then again i'm just a
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuckocaster
    i think so. to me that is where the growl comes from. my jazzmaster's lead pup is slightly microphonic, but it lends itself well to how i play, but then again i'm just a
    I've talked to Bill Lawrence personally, and he says that microphonic stuff is due to the old style bridge. I get the same thing on my Teles with vintage bridges -- goes with the territory I guess

-Kevin
    GAS: Gear Acquisition Syndrome
    TAS: Telecaster Acquisition Syndrome
    BAS: Bass Acquisition Syndrome
    ...but I don't have SAS: Stratocaster Acquisition Syndrome...not yet anyway...