Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Troy T. Calls It Quits!!!

Troy T. Calls It Quits!!!

That's right, I'm calling it quits..No more Troy T. Blues Band. There have been many supporting reasons for my decision. I think the biggest factor is that we have been suffering from the lack of people/dead rooms. This has coincidentally been the case since April, after the smoking ban went into full affect. I'm not gonna blame it on the smoking ban, but I think it's been a contributing factor. I think
    it's very expensive to go out, stiff drinking & driving laws, home entertainment, etc, etc...Things have changed! We are not the only ones experiencing this from what I hear around on the circuit.

Also, in my opinion, playing the Blues is quite difficult to promote, especially in this region. Personally, I think we are an incredibly tight, fun band that plays a wide variety of Blues. I would be the first one to know if we weren't sounding great. I am extremely critical and meticulous about our performances/arrangements. When there is people in the crowd that are familar with Blues (not many people are) they are usually amazed at our diversity.

I could venture out of the area, try to promote the band much more, but I just don't have the time, energy or patience. I have tried booking agents, but usually they don't have much for a Blues band and typically they are not interested because Blues just doesn't sell.

Unfortunately, we have lost alot of rooms this year due the situation. Also, in some cases, I choose not to go back to certain rooms. For example, two weeks ago, we played at a place that usually loves us and we've done very well there in the past. This time around, that place was DEAD!!! Maybe 10-15 people the whole night. They have a new owner now, and at the end of the night, he very reluctantly handed me the money and asked where my following was..I've never been asked that before after three years of consistent gigs at that venue. That burned me and yet another one scratched off the list.

When we play under these conditions, quite frankly, I would rather be at home or just doing something else. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE playing, and I always will. Music will always be in my heart and soul forever. The money is nice too, but there is no inner satisfaction. My bass player had mentioned to me that he would rather play the gig regardless of the situation. I understand that and in most cases, I would too. However, I just have no desire, no drive and no inspiration whatsoever anymore. When it starts getting to be a hassle, really sucking and you are not having fun, something has got to give. That's how I feel right now, it makes me sick.

In the past we have played at some nice venues and the crowds have been very receptive. I will say that our best moment was when we played the Club Crawl at the North Atlantic Blues Festival in Rockland, ME (2002). We played for two nights at one of the clubs in the area and the people appreciated our music and there were many. These people were totally familar with Blues and sincerely enjoyed us. I am so happy we that we had that opportunity, that was great! That was the most satisfying feeling I ever had playing the Blues or in any situation for that matter. Nothing has come close since, even though I expected that. However, it did show me that under the right conditions, we could deliver the goods and satisfied many, many people. The compliments and reactions were off the charts!

On the other hand, I could re-group and implement new songs of a different genre....songs that most people would be familar with, etc. However, it is not quite that easy. My drummer lives on the other side of the state and we don't have the opportunity to get together that often. Plus, I'm mentally drained...The deadness, stress of dealing with bar owners, chasing them down for gigs, running the band, well you know. It's all my shoulders and I had enough of that too.

My plans are to take a break for a while. In the meantime, I will attend some open jams and do some fill in gigs to stay sharp. In the future, I hope to join an established band that plays all styles like Blues, Classic Rock & Southern Rock. I've been there done that and I would certainly enjoy doing that again, so I will definitely be back on the scene. I don't want that responsibility anymore, I want to be in a situation where is is a little more low maintenance.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and it is nice to get this off my chest, I feel a little better now...It was really tough to come to this decision and break the news to the guys. I still think, at least at this time, that this was the right thing for me to do. We will play out our remaining gigs which concludes in December.

~Troy T.

(edited for clean-up)
    Last edited by Troy T. Blues; 10-16-2004 at 05:39 AM.

Re: Troy T. Calls It Quits!!!

Take some time off and then the quite starts to get to you, figure out what you want to do.

Blues does very well here in Sac. We even have local Blues heroes out here.. Mic Martin and the Blues Rockers.. VERY big out here. Sac seems to really love Blues..
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I hear ya! My brother lives out in Oregon and has seen us many times when he's visited Ct. He said that people love the Blues out there and we would probably do awesome if we were there...Oh well.

Oh man, Troy - that's sad news. We've been out to see you a few times (not to mention the birthday bash last year) and you guys were awesome. It's rare that three guys can be so "tight" every set, (even in some of those empty rooms). I hope things change - you guys rawked!!!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

i hear ya man, the band i play with from time to time has been having trouble filling spaces. everyone that comes loves it. we play old school rock and roll, stones, neil young, tom petty, that sort of stuff and a couple blues tunes.

i think the problem around here is the expensive drinks. i for one hate having to pay 4 bucks for a fucking budweiser.

good luck on your next endeavor.
    "don't worry, i'm a professional!"

Good luck on whatever you decide to do next Troy!

Sounds like you're doing the right thing Troy. Chill for a while and get back into it with different eyes, ears and heart when the time feels right. Peace.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

Thanks you guys...

Well Nick (Gibsonjunkie) has seen this a few times. We are smokin' on stage and no one could give a crap. I think this area sucks in my opinion...people are all wrapped up in their own thing and a band is a bother. Like Chuckocaster said...between being expensive to go out, smoking ban, stiff drinking & driving laws, home entertainment, etc, it's tough. A lot of clubs have told me things are down and certainly times have changed...From what I know, this is probably one of the worst areas for bands. People down south, out west or any other region for that matter are more interested in going out and enjoy bands like the good 'ol days. There is always an exception to the rule, but I've been to plenty of places to confirm what I've said.

chaz, exactly...that's my pan, thanks man.

TFF Stage Crew

Well, Troy, someone with your talent won't be long away from the biz, or it'll be their loss!

Sometimes a big change like this is good, especially if you're not out looking for the next thing, because that gives the next thing a chance to find you.

Good luck with the next phase, but I'd be willing to guarantee things will get nothing but better.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack w/his radar
    Well, Troy, someone with your talent won't be long away from the biz, or it'll be their loss!

Sometimes a big change like this is good, especially if you're not out looking for the next thing, because that gives the next thing a chance to find you.

Good luck with the next phase, but I'd be willing to guarantee things will get nothing but better.

Wow Jack, thank you bro! Thank you for your kinds words, very inspiring, I appreciate that.

Hmmm... Considered Europe? Many a Blues Festival all over the place would looove a genuine US Blues Band. Dunno how to arrange it, but really, not a blues festival here without some American band!!

You could hunt them down on the net and fire off a mail to each in an afternoon and then sit back and see what gives? Just an idea, but don't doubt the market. It's there (here). Hey we even have a blues festival in Copenhagen. with a homepage in english (and danish)....
    :blbros

I'd come and shake hands!!

I think more than anything else its the drinking n driving crackdown.Its so bad in some areas,I'd be afraid to drink a damn beer or two if I had to drive home.Where I live the smokies hang out near the bars at closing time,just waiting to nail someone.

I in no way advocate drinking and driving,but even responsible people are now partying at home.Yes, the designated driver thing is a good idea but not always easily set up.

A good bluesband giving it up is bad news.
    Women want me
    Fish fear me

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Troy T. Blues
    Wow Jack, thank you bro! Thank you for your kinds words, very inspiring, I appreciate that.
    Sure Troy--I mean it. I still listen to your MP3s of San-Ho-Zay and Spanish Castle Magic frequently. Great stuff. :yay

That last gig we saw you at (Wings at the airport) was classic. There you guys were, playing your hearts out, and the manager is trying to level the frigging pool table so two guys can play on it - RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE FREAKIN' STAGE!!!

Assholes!!!

Good luck Troy!

Not gone, just takin' a break!

:blbros
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

*smooch*

You're in transition. Sure is frustrating, I know.

The days of the smokey sleazy blues bar are long over here in California. Now they're fern bars with early evening shows. Lotsa Blues Festivals for the good players. Europe sounds like a trip and a half. Almost went to Germany, once, and have regretted not doing it ever since.

I love the outdoor Blues Festivals. Lotsa interesting fellow players and crowds coming ONLY TO HEAR DA BLUES!!! It's a good scene if you can hack all the travel etc. Fortunately in No. Cal there are six or seven good ones from May thru September every year. Inside smaller ones in the winter. Maybe you could get some things like that going out your way. Hook up with three or four other GOOD bands that you know you can count on and "Put On Some Shows" as Judy Garland said to Mickey Rooney a hunnerd times.

People love the blues just hate the sleazy, smokey, drunken, dangerous, lookin-to-get-laid, late-night scene.

Lotsa blues lovers are geezers and young'uns. So are lotsa the players! It's good to join with them. You can bring the family or honeybun or parents. Tailgate feeds are fun! You make more money, though play out much less, and the scene is quite rewarding. Backstage being exceptionally enjoyable. How often do we get to really talk to our compadres in person? Bounce around ideas? Steal some musical things? Trade tunes and stories? Get to know one another?

You Go! *nudder smooch*
    Shine your light.

When I was in Portland Oregon last Spring they were getting ready for a big blues festival - a weekend of music on the river. Sounded like it would have been awesome.

It IS awesome! I'll meet you there next year, 'kay?
    Shine your light.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie D.
    It IS awesome! I'll meet you there next year, 'kay?
    Sounds like a plan!!!

Sorry to hear that, Troy. I've been there a few times for health reasons and coming back from a break it's always that much more fun. Good luck!

Good Luck and enjoy the time you'll do other things with. Ya know, no bitchin with club owners and such.
    Hang out and have fun here for a while.

Ditto what everyone else has said.

I guess there's no need to tell you that the blues is a hard thing to sell. Very few, in comparison to the music market in general, make any money JUST at playing the blues.

I applaud your efforts and understand your desire to change. And perhaps, once you have the opportunity to step back and look at what you've done, you'll realize the ultimate value your experience has had and that experience will filter it's way down into something that will not have disapponting results.

Times are tough, too. The crowds will come back; they always do. Keep yourself young by finding a new game to play and you, the blues man, will probably come back, too. peace.

Evolve and create your venues. It takes a ton of energy, but one must do what is required.

You'll be happy, then... promise!
    Shine your light.

Troy, sounds lie a combined case of blues falling out of public favor and a little bunout too. I'd say you have a good attitute about it. Remember, one of the things a really successful band has to do is constantly re-invent itself to stay at the top of its game. Take any great band or player that's had years of staying power in the market and and I'll bet they went through several stages. Heck, the Stones were blues, rock, country, disco, and you name it. But they were always the Stones somehow.

Troy, the blues died off here in the last few years too. The music is still great, but what I noticed was the core following of fans seemed to be people my age. Guess what? We're just getting too old to be out at the bar very much. I still love to go out and play but had to change the type of music and venues to get to an audience that was willing to party all night.

Troy, just relax, go with the flow, and it will work out. Southern rock and blues go together like soup and sandwich. Plus, most southern rock is also pretty much classic rock. Try some of that for a while. Good dance music, kids dig it, and rednecks still make the best audiences. Still lots of guitar solos to keep it fun too. Give it a shot.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Geez, you all are fantastic! Your replies really mean alot to me and I appreciate it so much!

Annie *smooch" back to you. Thanks for your kindness, understanding and wisdom.

Hi dez & zenland!!!

Thanks FenderBoy...good to see you bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler
    Troy, sounds lie a combined case of blues falling out of public favor and a little bunout too. I'd say you have a good attitute about it. Remember, one of the things a really successful band has to do is constantly re-invent itself to stay at the top of its game. Take any great band or player that's had years of staying power in the market and and I'll bet they went through several stages. Heck, the Stones were blues, rock, country, disco, and you name it. But they were always the Stones somehow.

Troy, the blues died off here in the last few years too. The music is still great, but what I noticed was the core following of fans seemed to be people my age. Guess what? We're just getting too old to be out at the bar very much. I still love to go out and play but had to change the type of music and venues to get to an audience that was willing to party all night.

Troy, just relax, go with the flow, and it will work out. Southern rock and blues go together like soup and sandwich. Plus, most southern rock is also pretty much classic rock. Try some of that for a while. Good dance music, kids dig it, and rednecks still make the best audiences. Still lots of guitar solos to keep it fun too. Give it a shot.

Chuck
    Good stuff there Chuck..thanks and it makes total sense. I AM a bit burned out and I would like to take a break for sure.

I would love to keep the band that I have now. In fact, the drummer has been with me for ten years! Like I said, I could re-group or re-invent but it's much more than that. Right now, I just don't want to deal with chasing bar owners...On top of that, we've lost alot of key clubs that we played at for years. With the lack of people and dead rooms, some just don't really want us back. Also, things have changed and I'm so tired of some of these freako places and I choose not to play their anymore.

I'm sick of handling all the responsibility and especially chasing those damn bar owners around. If I was to venture out, find some new clubs out the area, I would have a new set of people to chase around. Plus, they always want to know how many people we are gonna bring in...Well, that's another story.

My drummer lives on the other side of the state, so I can't practice with him say during the week. Within the last few years, he got married, had a kid and moved from the area..It would would be a project trying a whole new thing/approach. That's right Chuck, I will be playing Blues, Southern Rock and Classic Rock, they all do go together...that's my plan.

Another cool thing is that my bass player still wants to get together at his house for Wed. jams/practices. Luckily we have a GREAT drummer who lives in the area that we play with on Wednesdays. I know what you're thinking....He does not want to play out though! We will srecord and work on some of my originals. BTW, I have some GREAT Blues-Rock originals that we were playing out also. I 'm not able to post them on the website though because I don't have them copyrighted yet.

Again, my goal is to take a break and find something else in the future. Oh well, I do have alot of options and things will unfold as time goes by. Thanks!

Forum Member

Troy, sounds like our scene here too. Hard to get booked, and the smokin` laws are killing the biz. I also feel the blues is on a downward slide. We went thru the change, by getting rid of our keys player, and going more electric heavy blues, and Hendrix style stuff, and classic rock, but to GET BOOKED now is so hard.
    The crowds just aren`t there anymore. Its a social lifestyle thang now,,,almost uncool to hang in bars now. I`ve also gone thru thwe ` where`s your crowd,,,how many people will your band bring to the bar?? Shit, man I`m 50 years old, and most of my friends are sleepin` whilst I`m out playin`!!
    But I`ll never stop,,,not again. Its my therapy, my sanity maker, and my outlet for my pent up emotions. I play better now than I ever did, and its not a chops thing,,, its more emotive , having more feeling, and musical common sense. Knowing when to lay back, when to rip, and when to use the effects effectively.
    I`ve felt that despair, and frustration, but it`ll pass, and the jones will start up agin!!

CT.

Troy...I haven't read all the posts because I'm in a bit of a rush, but when it's not fun any more there's something wrong.

I'm sure you're doing the right thing.

Keep us posted.

In focus since September 2003

chin up, bro. i was feeling the same way not so long ago, so we scrambled our line-up and revamped (are revamping, i should say) our set list and it's fun again. haven't laughed this much at rehearsals in years. you sound like you know where your towel's at, so good luck to you.

TROY!! Say it ain't so! That blows, but I know exactly what you mean. It's depressing as hell!

The no smoking ban is having a negative effect on the bar market in CT!

You're a smoking player, I can't wait to see the next Troy T project!!!

Best of luck!

Frank
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

"Chasing bar owners". God do I know what you mean. One month we're booked 3 out of 4 weekends and next month we have 1. We've changed our set list to include more diversity. Our following now is more in the 21 to 30 yo range. We're doing George Strait (rocked out), ZZ Top, originals, blues, southern rock, Eagles, Santana, Charlie Daniels, and on and on.
    Even though we have plenty of material we are always adding something new (we start breaking in a keyboard player this Tuesday). Our byline is "When it stops being fun, we quit.

Good luck to ya Troy and don't give up.
    If you can't laugh at yourself, who can?

You can take those tunes by those mentioned by Bobcat only so far.

I sense that you are truly dedicated to "Da Bluz" and will have to develop your venues in order to Shine Your Light. It is not that difficult.

Bars want "Bar Bands" and Blues Revues want "Blues Bands" it's actually very cool. Just lift up your eyes. Find your stage.

nudder *smooch*
    Shine your light.

After 6 years on the road i just quit my band We will go out in style at afinal gig at the coast (WA state) I am going to relax and think up my next move I do not want to work in bars every weekend anymore 26 years of it and I'm tired Oh I dont mind the occasional outdoor concert or even a good party,So i understand why people make decisions like this Good Luck

Hi Frank!!

Thanks again for the replies you guys. JM3, I hear ya...26 years is a long time! I think I've been playing out for about 15 years.

Right now, I have my next move all setup. I will play lead and share some vocals with my friends band. They don't play a whole hell of alot, but they play at some descent places...Plus, like I want, it is very low maintenance and I can just show up and play. They play classic rock and some Blues..This should kick off in January or February. Good situation to use my beautiful new Les Paul! Also, I recently picked up a Marshall JTM-60 to go along with my Fender amps. Should be fun, looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Troy T. Blues
    Right now, I have my next move all setup. I will play lead and share some vocals with my friends band.
    What's the name of the band, Troy?
    Several guitars in different colors
    Things to make them fuzzy
    Things to make them louder
    orange picks

Quote Originally Posted by Kap'n
    What's the name of the band, Troy?

I think they are still called "After Hours"

Troy I just went to your Web site...

The MP3's sound great - I wish I had the opportunity to see you Live.
    You Guys smoke!

I guess the Business side of things has gotten to many many musicians.

Hang in there and keep on Playing. Best of Luck.

Doug

That's what friends are for. Carry on...
    Shine your light.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougsat
    Troy I just went to your Web site...

The MP3's sound great - I wish I had the opportunity to see you Live.
    You Guys smoke!

I guess the Business side of things has gotten to many many musicians.

Hang in there and keep on Playing. Best of Luck.

Doug

Thanks for the kind words Doug, I really appreciate that!! :)

Dear Troy T,

I hope you'll keep us posted on where you're playing.

"A Fan"

Forum Member

That's it...play with a friend. What other bands are out there? Sometimes being a hired gun works. You don't do the booking, it's not your worries...you play your heart out and get to meet different guys who will expand your playing mind.

For years, I didn't do much, and hooked up with an old friend. We played our 52nd gig since March 1 last weekend, and are booking out more.
    Not just bars...we grabbed an outdoor food concession (don't laugh!!) on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean. TONS of people, they stay and enjoy...get some Sun...and come back.

I know you'll never give up playing, and this isn't the best time for you.
    Do some woodshedding, go see other bands, chill out a little.

It'll be O.K.
    Strats and Mustangs and Coronados...OH MY!