Thread: tascam 2488?

tascam 2488?

anybody got one, familiar w/ one? been reading the catalog blurbs and it sounds like a pretty cool unit for the coin-somebody feel free to burst my bubble.

Re: tascam 2488?

Geeze, bonefish, I'm in the same boat. The digital recording devices are coming waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down in price and I've nothing but time to kill.

"Which one?" eeenie, meeenie, miiiiiiiinie, moe. Let me know if you find a good 'un. *smooch*
    Shine your light.

i'm still on the hunt, dear. might have it narrowed down to the Tascam 2488, Zoom MRS1608CD, or the Boss BR1600CD. doing a little additional research right now.

Gravity Jim

If you don't need to record more than two tracks at a time (i.e., if you're doing the one-man-band thing), the new Tascam DP-01 and DP-01FX are killer awesome for the price. The 2488 is a really nice piece, but if you don't need the heavy capabilities, you can get a great sounding digital 8-track with hard drive (no Flash RAM BS) for under $500.

We're outfitting the offline studios at the Radio Reading Service my wife manages with DP-01s, because the volunteer readers are largely older folks and have been recording on cassette machines for years... the DP's are so simple to run (one button, one function, almost no menu crapola) that we can get them trained and running in no time. And we get the added advantage of being able to network them by running USB cable to the master computer... people come in, record their volunteer reading, and the DP-01s show up on the air studio computer as removeable discs! Too simple, too cool, and cheap as chips.

Now, if you need 24 tracks and lots more simultaneous inputs, then ignore all this.

Jim, I got one of the Tascams for Christmas. I got the FX model. I haven't had any time to mess with it yet. I did read the entire manual during lunch at work. Looks like it should be pretty easy to deal with. I see that after tracking you have to basically save it to another part of the disk before dumping it to a computer.
    I was wondering, what program do I need to get for my computer? I know, You can do all the editing from the unit itself, I thought it would be easier to edit from the computer screen where one can see all the waveforms and tracks etc. True? Also, I have to produce CDs from the computer. What should I get?
    Thanks
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Gravity Jim

Sorry to be so late replying, Mikey... the red jewel didn't come on for some reason.

I'm a Mac user, but I'm guessing when you say "computer" you mean a Windows PC. Is this the case?

Yep! Exactly. XP Pro
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!