Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 52 vs 51 (nocaster) reissues

Originally posted by LesPauloholic

Also, The Fender web site says the Nocaster is alder, and the 52 is ash... this is a difference I didn't see listed in this thread, unless I just missed it.
    In my 2002 copy of Frontline it says under spec's that the Nocaster and 52RI are both made from Premium Ash!!

Now who do you believe....website or Frontline??? Anyone care to shed some light on that???

Chow,
    Seegs

Old Teles were wired the way they were so guitar players could sorta play bass - at least that was Leo's thinking, the P-Bass didn't exist yet. Most players convert to the newer wiring(B, B+N, N) or mod it to get the neck PUP with no tone control or use a 4-way Tele switch to get... If you balance the switch between the bridge & middle positions you'll hear what the 'modern' middle position sounds like.

Wiring a neck/no tone option may do what you want. I have that option with the 5-way setup on my Donahue Tele. I can roll back the tone to taste for the bridge PUP and switch to the neck/no tone for nice ballsy leads without touching the tone control.

I doubt that any C.S. 50s Relics, NOS, or Classic Teles are being made out of alder. The grain would be really obvious. Maybe someone mixed up the descriptions for the '63 version or with the Strats.

I've never played a Nocaster, but I did shop around for 2002 '52 RI's for a while, and played a number of very so-so guitars, until I finally found a good one, and it is great - very resonant, good neck/body fitting, and with that neck pickup rewired correctly, one fine guitar.

The next Tele is going to be a Lentz, though...
    Last edited by mountain blues; 11-23-2002 at 07:54 PM.
    'My art and profession is to live.' Michel de Montaigne

Forum Member

Nocaster is very nice..

I never had a 52 RI but I have a recent Nocaster.
    Its definitely ash, and the tone is wonderfull. I love playing it with or without a pick. It is very conducive to finger picking.

The middle position of the pickup selector switch, selects the Neck pu, and the down position engages both the Neck and bridge pu. I don't like or use the (dead bassy) up position. The lower "tone" control is used to blend in the as much of the bridge pu that you want.
    So with it clockwise it sounds just about the same as having only the middle pu selected, and as you rotate it clockwise it blends in the bridge pu. I like the blending option, so have left the wiring stock. At first I wasn't crazy about it, but it has grown on me and now I like it. If there is too much treble I tweek my amp's eq.

It could use some shielding though, and forces you to find the right angle to stand at otherwise. :tw59
    "I looked at his face, I knowed it was No"