Thread: "And to think, I hesitated." or "I love playing in a trio!"

"And to think, I hesitated." or "I love playing in a trio!"

our drummer got a night job, pretty much effectively ending his tenure in the mighty bonefish. we hemmed and hawed for about two seconds and then bought a drum kit for our rhythym player and started booking gigs as a three piece. you know, i've always resisted the idea of playing in a trio, but after three weeks of intense rehearsal and an incredibly smooth debut gig i wonder why we didn't do this five years ago. of course, five years ago we weren't the musicians we are now. Jimmy, the "new" drummer, has particularly amazed me. never played drums before, ever, and after three weeks practice he played four fourtyfive minute sets and naver missed a beat. maybe not a big deal to some virtuoso types, but i know i sure as hell couldn't have done it.

and the whole three piece dynamic is a freakin' blast. our sound is so clean and punchy, i get to turn my reverberocket up loud enough to hit the sweet spot, yet everybody can hear eachother so much better, and we're actually listening to eachother again (after 4-5 yrs w/ the same (4/5 pc.) lineup playing the same songs we had a tendency to play on autopilot) . of course, being able to hear everything makes the clams that much more obvious, so less room for error, but that's kinda a good thing. i know i've spent more time practicing in the last month than i have in the last two years.

and another bonus is that dealing w/ two other guys is simpler by an order of magnitude than dealing w/ three or four others. and these two are the guys i started this band with, so we go back about ten or twelve years. even though i kinda miss "weaving" (as keef calls it) with another guitar player i think this is gonna work!

p.s. anybody get the quote in the thread title?

Re: "And to think, I hesitated." or "I love playing in a trio!"

You guys just keep losing it and then pulling it back together! That's great man. Nothing gets you down. When you're given lemons, you make lemonade. Good for you.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Tha's soooo cool!!!!

Some are born with heart and dedication and a modicum of skill, others are just "Madmen meant to bang those heads and man the kicks-n-high-hats"...I love 'em this way. Very rare. Congrats!

A natural "drummer" being the spark and cinder of any band. He'll just die the night he finds amalgam with the bass. So will you! Excellent!

Awesome, indeed...
    Shine your light.

i tell ya' bob, it's been a wild ride since we started this outfit five years ago as an acoustic trio playing coffee houses, but all the ups and downs have only made us better musicians and tighter friends. like i said, this is the original line-up, and it just feels right this time. our old guitar player shane checked out our first show, and he said there's no way you could tell we'd never played as a three piece before.

yep annie, jimmy's a natural born madman, and scottish to boot! two of the things i really love about him is 1) he doesn't have any bad habits, and 2) he knows he's just starting out and takes suggestions cheerfully . plus, he's worked his ass off to get to this point.

'nother cool aspect-we've decided that all monies earned get put back into the band-we already bought a new sub amp(i'll have to tell you an amusing little story about how badly MF sucks someday) and we're looking at some lights and possibly some recording gear.

oh yeah, and rehearsals have been amazing-we learned three new songs (Chris Isaak- baby did a bad thing, Blondie- one way or another, and Green Day- geek stink breath) in an hour and a half last night, and if we had to gig tomorrow i wouldn't be ashamed to play them, they came together that fast.

Forum Member

Playing as a trio does make you pay attention, and listen. Dynamics are such an over-looked aspect of any combo these days. And most bands today, don`t need two guitarplayers anyways,,,just muddies things up!!!
    My hats off to your rythmn/drummer.

CT.

I was leary of three piece also until I was forced into it.
    Found out how empowering it is. I learned that rests are as important as notes.
    I learned what total freedom a guitarist has in a three piece.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CocoTone
    Playing as a trio does make you pay attention, and listen. Dynamics are such an over-looked aspect of any combo these days. And most bands today, don`t need two guitarplayers anyways,,,just muddies things up!!!
    My hats off to your rythmn/drummer.

CT.
    I thought you decided to perform as a Solo act from now on - until Tom takes you back LOL :rofl