Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vote for your Favorite OD pedal.

Cornish SS2, Keeley-modded BluesDriver 2, Matchless Hot Box, Full-Drive 2.
    'My art and profession is to live.' Michel de Montaigne

Forum Member
    I use a home modded TS9/808, easy to do, set for clean boost,,and an MJM Blues Devil, for gainy stuff. The Blues Devil is a hand made TS clone, with true bypass. I also use an MJM London Fuzz,, which is absoluetly killer. I use it the most, more so than the OD`s. Into a Super,,,wow!!

CT.

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 gets my vote as well. Especially in Comp. cut mode. Crystal clear overdrive that sounds just like your amp breaking up. It is too expensive though.

I had a stock BD2 and it just sucked the tone right out of my bassman. I tried the tone control on that thing in every possible position and no matter where it was it just colored the sound too much.

FATSTRAT

I LOVE MY OLD MARSHALL SHREDMASTER THE BIG BLACK HUGE ONES WITH 5-6 SMALL RUBBER KNOBS
    MINE KICKED BUTT ITS MY FAVORITE I ACCIDENTALY RAN MY GIGBAG OVER 2 MONTHS AGO AND IT WELL GOT SMUCHED SO I GOT SOME SERIOUS SOLDERING TO DO TO IT BUT ITLL SURVIVE

ITS BUILT LIKE A TANK
    NO PLASTIC
    MARSHALL IS GOOD STUFF VERY TONAL GOOD FOR BLUES AND ALL STYLES EASILY ADJUSTABLE KNOBS
    VERY NICE

IM LOOKIN FOR ANOTHER ONE THE ORIGINALS ONES BIG BLACK SHREDMASTERS
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Originally posted by Don
    I bought my TS-9 used back in '83 or so for $15 and haven't found another that I better.
    I really just use it as a boost to give me the sound that I'd get if my Fender amp was cranked up to about 8.

I feel bad. I paid $30. for mine used in '83. I haven't found a better pedal since either but I like the Marshall Bluesbreaker II I got last year for Christmas. It has gone in and out of favor with me, but lately, I have been liking it more and more. It sounds a lot like my TS-9 but the tone control only rolls off highs. It seems to have more bottom end also. The BB-2 is tru bypass.
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

I'm currently using a Fulltone Bass Driver, so that counts as a vote for the FD2. I sold my older FM blue FD2 and my '69 pedal so I can order a new switched FD2, and I'm using the Bass Driver until it arrives.
    Everyone sings about Memphis, but no one ever does anything about it.

mid-80s Chandler BK Butler Tube Driver. The real deal, folks.

Gotta go with the Barber Direct Drive followed by the Rat then the Guyatone OD-2.

Originally posted by hudpucker
    mid-80s Chandler BK Butler Tube Driver. The real deal, folks.
    I used that pedal for a while and LOVED IT! Great for od or a clean boost. Lost #1 in a fire, and #2 was not as good. I used a FD2 now.
    Fuzz is proof God love us and wants us to be happy. - Franklin
    http://www.frankdenigris.com

Right now I really like the Aramat Green Machine. It is a TS built with high-quality components and true bypass. It has your typical mid-heavy TS sound. It is not as "transparent"as the MJM Blues Devil, but that's OK.

Forum Member
    I've tried (and sold) just about every pedal mentioned so far, and for MY ear and MY applications, the Fulldrive 2 is the best.

I am waiting for my old, orange FD2 to come back after a repair. Since then I have using my old TS-9. They are both good pedals,but I miss my FD2. And yes, I agree they are way too expensive.

TS9 Tube Screamer - Boosty Crunchy-Classic tones

Tech 21 (Sansamp) GT2 - Heavier Distortion, "Brown" Tone. over the top tone

You can't have just one.
    Carry On!

John

I modify the Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive to turn it into a vintage TS-808. But I've been pushed lately by a few local players to get more from the mod.

So I just made a revision to my mod that I'm REALLY happy with and more importantly so are the players that had been nagging me.

It was already head to head with the Maxon OD808 (mine is little better in letting nice overtones bloom - low cutoff on mine is the same as TS-808). And with better components (pots, housing, etc) and at a lower total price, you can't beat it now.

So I'm a happy camper with my personal SD-1 that I paid $30 for on ebay and changed 10 parts inside. Of course, this one was my first guinea pig. All my latest experimentation has been on brand new units and they sound really good. The difference is night/day. Next to a modded unit, the unmodded SD-1 sounds the way cardboard tastes.

Forum Member
    I got a TS9 but my fave is a 70 s big muff with its on plug built in !!!!
    Its a very noisy machine.

Clark Gainster (replaced my Klon)...Aphek Peanut Butter...BJF Dynared which is a distortion box but can do really great OD with the gain at 9oclock...

Chow,
    Seegs

Forum Member
    MJM Blues Devil, about on par with my modded TS9/808. But the MJM London Fuzz is on most of the time,,,great fucking pedal!! Will be a classic, maybe even better than an origional Fuzzface.?!

Get my vote,,,I`ve had both!!

CT.

Marshall DSL with 4x12 w/ Greenbacks.
    I know the pieces fit...

Re: Vote for your Favorite OD pedal.

Hands down the Ibanez TS-808 Tube Screamer. I own both the original and the reissue. The reissue by the way sounds exactly the same as my original which I bought new in '83.
    Dennis
    A guitar in hand is worth two in the case.

Forum Member

Anyone try a Lovepedal?

www.lovepedal.com

they seem to rock quite a bit of ass.

Forum Member

TS-9 reissue for the basic overdrive sound, and the black Butler Real Tube for the lead boost.

In my pile o' goodies, I've been collecting a few different overdrive pedals for texture, etc. If I was gonna replace either of the above pedals, it would be (in rough order)
    1. 80s DOD 250. Tube Screamer on mild steroids. Great tone, just a little more grunch in there.
    2. Digitech Programmable Distortion. The big ugly yellow box with 2 footswitches. One circuit is a clone of the 250, and the "lead" drive is a more heavy OD. The trick with this pedal is to disable the 40ms "bad 80s metal" delay using the dip switches on the bottom of the unit. Hands down the best $25 I've ever spent.
    3. Sovtek Big Muff. Not nice, not polite, built like a Russian missile silo. Sounds like a very large polo mallet hitting you in the chest. This is not built for subtlety.
    4. Proco Rat. The big box model. Killer pedal, but the trick is to use it as more of a signal boost to make it work. Otherwise, you're in bad "distortion pedal in the bedroom through a practice amp" zone.
    5. Vox Distortion Booster. Kind of a goofy pedal, and I'm still trying to get it dialed in. This is the most "chimey" pedal I own with a pronounced mid and treble boost. Brian May in a box.

Forum Member

In order my faves:

1/ BJF Electronics Baby Blue - germanium. Not transparent but thick and chewy if you set it that way. Great sounds
    2/ Crowther Hotcake - texas strat magic ! Yeah I know it's kiwi.
    3/ FDII - say n'maw