Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vote for your Favorite OD pedal.

Matchless 'ot Box

The heart of my rig.

Sounds great when being smacked in da face with a FDII in comp cut mode. (flat mids.)

Regards,

Brian

20 years later, I am still in love with the TS-9 that I bought used for $30. For Christmas, I got a Marshall BB-2 and I like that a lot too. Although i don't use it, I have a Vintage Rat that smokes with a Strat through a JC-120. I wish I had tried that when I had a Twin....

Forum Member
    I've now got a Maxon OD-808 with true bypass switch,An Analogman TS-9/808 brown mod (both have the rare Malaysian op amp)and my latest purchase is a HOTCAKE----"WOW" what a beast.My TS-808's can now retire gracefully.

All bases are covered

Watto
    Reynolds Valve-art ,The best amps ever made.

Forum Member

Fulltone

My vote...definately the Fulltone FD-2...the best....

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    Another vote for the FD2, especially the newer version with the flat-mids/ full mids/ comp cut toggle switch. I had an orange FD2, and the later blue FM version. Now I have it all in one pedal. The FD2 really shines when the amp itself is pushed a bit.
    Look to that grito character, he rocks!

Not one BOSS pedal???? YNUK YNUK YNUK....

Forum Member
    Has anyone tried the Banzai effects, especially the Rising Sun?

Forum Member
    I have the new fulldrive with the 3 way swich. I love it. I can get all the sounds that I get out of my white knobed one with flat mids, plus the full mid tone. Also, I prefer the swich to the push pull pot.

Forum Member

So far...

My favorite is a $20 Ibanez TS-5, that I modded to TS808 specs, with a Texas Intruments 4558P, I also did the sweeter distortion mod by swapping out one of the clipping diodes with a 1N4001 from the Shack. I also put in switchable output (I think) caps, from the stock 0.47uF, to 0.68uF, to 0.1uF. Adds bass to the signal. It helps to eliminate the mid range hump, when I so desire.

My second favorite is a reissue Fuzz Face that I modded with some vintage Germanium AC188 Transistors. It took some tweaking with Germanium diodes and resistor values, but I've got it giving me a great Brian May Trebleboosted Vox tone when paired with my SF Champ (class A combined with Germanium might be the reason), although, I'm thinking about adding a varaible capacitance knob, to alter it's bass response.

Last but not least is my Orman Mini Booster (form the AMZ site, you can also see the schem at www.generalguitargadgets.com). It cost me $10 to make, about 1 hour, and a burnt finger. I used weaker MPF102's from the Shack as my JFETs, so it doesn't product any distortion, just a nice clean boost.
    Last edited by javacody; 03-18-2003 at 07:29 AM.

Forum Member
    Original Ibanez TS-808!!!

Forum Member
    Keeley Modded Boss Blues Driver 2 with Phat Switch. Very transparent, and when you dime out the gain it almost sounds like a fuzz, only much more focused. Great Jimmy Page tones from Zep I and II. Not as middy as my Keeley modded TS9, which is also a great OD.

Right now I'm totally digging the sound of my Ibanez TS-10 (modded to TS-808 specs by Analogman.)

http://www.analogman.com/

This thing sounds so good it's ridiculous.

(I only wish I had received it in time to use on my latest CD!)

In any event, Analog Mike is the man!

Forum Member

overdrive

80's Roger Mayer AXIS.

Forum Member
    I just discovered this www.miaudio.com It's unbelievable,As an owner of original TS 808's,TS-9's ,Hotcakes original proco rat etc etc.It's not very often that a pedal impresses me as much as this one did.

It's now all I use

Watto
    Reynolds Valve-art ,The best amps ever made.

Forum Member
    I have two DOD pre-amp/overdrive 250's one from the '70's, and the other from the '80's.
    I love them both.
    The '80's has more low end out of the two.

favorite distortion pedal

probably one of the absolute best overdriven tones i ever got in my life out of my bassmans happens when i plug my guitar into my sans amp tech 21 preamp pedal i really cant call it a distortion pedal even though it has a footswitch on it its this little black box with 8 or 10 dip switches you flip up or down to acheive your favorite amplifier gain tones mine approximates a mesa and a marshall ac dc / van halen brown sound very competently i love it i used to hide it in my guitar rack and it was my rhythm crunch for many many years
    i bought mine new in 1998 for $159 dollars and i dont ever regret this tool
    i dont use it anymore but if i need to kick ass tone wise it definitely does its job and more
    these tech 21 pedals come with a power plug wall wart and like i said it works with any amplifier if you want a change of tone or kick

the late unique KURT COBAINEused the one like i own for alot of his recordings and it was a integral part of his live rig he always used one to get his grunge sound this pedal was plugged into his mesa boogie pre amp that was set for his clean tone this pedal (tech 21) was his over driven *sound* that was his sound plus he drove his marshall cabinets with crest power amps cranked the tech 21 was his gain over the top tone (that became THE GRUNGE TONE )of that time
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

This thread had been around for a while and my rig has evolved. I still like my original TS-9 that I've had forever when I use my Strats, but when I use my Les Pauls, I use my Marshall Bluesbreaker II on boost mode. For me, I set up my dirty and clean sounds on the amps (Mine are all channel switchers), and then hit the pedal for feedback and/or solos.

Forum Member
    If you haven't tried a Banzai Cold Fusion, you need to!

Forum Member
    I've got two out of four ODs that are my favs: early Analogman modded TS-9 (just the chip and some beefed up soldering) that I'll use with any of my guitars and amps, and a Don Butler modded Vox Valvetone that I use mostly with the Teles and RI Bassman.

MY FAVORITE DISTOTION PEDAL

I JUST BOUGHT A DAN ELECTRO DISTORTION PEDAL I THINK ITS A BLENDER OR SOMETHIN LIKE THAT I KNO IT DOES HAVE SOME STUPID ERONEOUS NAME LOL

IT WAS CHEAP PIECE OF SHIT BUT IT SOUNDED SORTA USEFUL SO I BOUT ONE TO FART AROUND WITH ITS GOOD FOR BLUES RHYTHYMS IF YOURE JAMMIN WITH FRIENDS
    I LOVE MY MARSHALL SHREDMASTERS THE ORIGINALS (BLACK ONES)
    I HAVE ONE BUT I ACCIDENTLY RAN OVER MY GIG BAG AND SQUASHED IT SO I NEED TO REPLACE ALL THE POTENTIOMETERS LMAO MINE IS THE OLD ONE FROM 92 ITS ALSO AUTOGRAPHED BY JIM MARSHALL I AM PISSED OFF I RAN IT OVER BUT I DONT KNO WHERE TO BUY THE SMALL REPLACEMENT POTENTIOMETERS
    SORRY I FORGOT MY CAPS BUTTON AGAIN
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Originally posted by concert410
    Not one BOSS pedal???? YNUK YNUK YNUK....
    For less money than some of the pricier models, I vote for the Boss Blues Driver 2.

brianf
    Oh Man!!! I never knew Fender made amps too!!!

Actually, I have an old BOSS SD-1 that seems to work great when used with my Les Paul/Marshall rig. I have been using a Marshall Bluesbreaker II as my main OD pedal for a while, but I still think my old TS-9 is the best. I bet I go back to using it soon. I just wonder if it has another 20 years in it.

the fulltone dp-1. for a high gain pedal, it's amazing how natural it sounds.
    i've got one of these coming, though

http://v-stack.com/

you should really hear the mp3's at their site; you'll put your sansamp away (and i used one for 12 years)!

here's some dp-1 for ya!

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...=&postid=31113

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...=&postid=31114

http://www.thefenderforum.com/forum/...=&postid=31118

ml
    "no, no, your all confused. it's not the sun that's goin' down, it's the hori-zon that's movin' up!" - firesign theatre

Forum Member

Re: Vote for your Favorite OD pedal.

Originally posted by FatStrat
    I don't have enuff experience with them to knoe but the FullDrive 2 seems pretty sweet.
    I've had one for five years and I'll never need another.

Last edited by pbradt; 09-14-2003 at 09:33 AM.

Forum Member
    Menatone Red Snapper
    '57 strat-Menatone Red Snapper-Everman G2 Fuzzdrive-Ever Octave X= A Killer Setup

Forum Member
    Analogman SD-1/808. Picked up the Boss SD-1 from a local shop for $40, $50 to have Mike mod & ship it back, and for $90 I have the best OD i've tried (and i've played a lot of them in my hunt). Has more gain than i'll ever need, but it does clean boost and beautiful smooth break-up OOH so well!

Forum Member
    I like the V-Twin a lot.

I'd say my favorite though is the very first one I ever bought. It was a DOD 250 Overdrive Preamp. I bought it back in 1981. I wish I still had it. I sold it when I bought my Peavey Special 130. It had a pregain channel with SATURATION

I believe Yngwie used one and customized it and it's now the DOD YJM308 pedal.
    Last edited by Butch Snyder; 10-03-2003 at 11:39 AM.

From my limited experience I think the Boss Bluesdriver is great value.

My favorite is a TS-9 that I modded to 808 specs. I use it with an original Roger Mayer Classic FuzzFace and an original MXR Dist. Plus. One overdrive, one fuzz, and one dist. pedal cover all my nasty tone needs. Sounds great in dimed out Princetons and DR's. Most pedals get great sound in bedroom-size gigs, but some tweaking is needed before you get good tone at big amp volumes.

Barber Direct Drive Super Sport - Just sooo flexible and always sounds great!

Keeley Modded Boss Blues Driver - Crank it for that grainy OD!

Keeley Modded TS-9 - Much better than the stock TS-9, with the classic tone.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained as stupidity"

I have a Danelectro Pastrami mini overdrive. It works well. Sound a bit like a Marshall when you kick it in. Best thing is it was $20.00.

Very high performance vs. price ratio.

I and WILL be building my own effects soon. I'm working on it.

And Deacon Blues, I wondered what happened to you. I ask you a question on the other forum and never heard from you again…

Nice to see you again.
    Last edited by photoweborama; 10-08-2003 at 08:57 AM.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

Vox Valve-Tone

I had Don Butler do his mod on mine and now it's my all-time fav. Very clear, little tone coloration, and a nice Vox-y sounding drive. My only complaint is it's a little wimpy on the gain, but it's great for mild crunch on bright, twangy guitars.

It's been several months since my last post. I've since traded the BD-2 for a Crowther Hotcake. I've also purchased another Sparkle Drive and had it modded by Keeley.

Along with these two additions, I've tried a Barber Burn Unit (not bad) and a SansAmp Double Drive (not my cup of tea). The Keeley modded TS-7 still remains my favorite. Too bad they have such a lousy switch. The Keeley modded Sparkle Drive is a vast improvement over the stock pedal and I've been using it exclusively since I've had the mods done.

My current pedal set-up is: a Barber Tone PressTone Press , Mr. Cry Baby Wah and the Sparkle Drive. I run the ahead of the wah, which runs through a Loooper to by pass the wah, and the Sparkle Drive after the wah. Works great...for now. Talk to me again in another 9 months, though.

Photoweborama, sorry, but I missed your question on the other forum.

I never get tired of my old Boss SD1. It always sounds good even on my old Korean Tele. The Dano Daddy o is pretty good with a marshall amp but I found it a bit unreliable. Mostly I use a Boss GT3 with easy overdrive sounds, but when I go back to stomp boxes its always the SD1.
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less.
    C. S. Lewis

www.myspace.com/ronnieleslie
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...36&ref=profile
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/6070659...7626159170245/

Forum Member
    Hot Damn, I do luv' me Direct Drive! Thank you Mr. Barber.

Forum Member
    If stuck on a desert island with a humbucker-equipped Strat and a Blues Jr., I'd go with my Boss Blues Driver.

But then, I need get out more. :%

Tom

TFF Stage Crew
    I running a new Maxxon OD 9 'Clean Screamer' modded by Pharoah Amplifers. I've tried literally dozens of OD pedals and this one is a keeper.

I really like the Ibanez Tube King for nice thick, buttery sustain. It's an old beat up thing, but it sounds really sweet and surprisingly quiet.

I like the Drivetrain for a crunchy sound. It gives me a screaming, David Hidalgo sound that I like too.

Just tonight I got a Tech21 Double Drive, which I'll be getting to know. When I tried one in a store between a Deluxe and a Tele I loved it. We'll see how it works with my own stuff.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Interesting to go back through this thread and see the changes everyone (including me) goes through in the course of a year. Right now, I am still using my Marshall BB-2, but now it's always in the blues mode. I use it over my 20 year old TS-9 ONLY because it is newer. Befor ethet end of the year, I bet that TS-9 is back in use. I have also gone full circle in that I am liking my Strat/Concert II rig.

So much GAS, so little money....
    A good, screaming Strat just might be the greatest guitar sound of all..... -Slash

Forum Member
    I also like the boss blues driver