Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vote for your Favorite OD pedal.

Vote for your Favorite OD pedal.

I don't have enuff experience with them to knoe but the FullDrive 2 seems pretty sweet.
    Finally...a forum for REAL guitars.

Forum Member

Nothing Comes Close to................

The Barber Direct Drive.

if you know how to hold a soldering iron, go out and built your own. I just did it, it's really worth it and, in case of all those TS cones out there, WAY cheaper.
    "If you wind up with a boring, miserable life because you listened to your mom, your dad, your teacher, your priest, or some guy on TV telling you how to do your shit, then YOU DESERVE IT."

- Frank Zappa -

Hughes & Kettner Tube factor ..OD pedal. It actually has a tube in it. This the best one I found. Prior to that I used Fulldrive 2....a close second. I have a few others..but none are good enough to even mention.
    "Blue horse-shoe loves Andicott Steel"

Forum Member
    i have a h&k tube factor..it is true by pass and quiet for a real tube and runs the proper volts for the tube as well(unlike others)...it is not the most flexible as far as eq but is very effective and transparent if set up with the right tube and settings.....it really shines thru old non master marshalls too.....an old rat,marshall bluesbreaker pedal(early one) dod 250 and several tubescreamers(okay for some things) are the rest of my arsenal........jcs

do you guys think the tube factor would work well with a Trace Elliot Velocette? Im looking to add some guts to my OD sound....marshall-esque but not trying to hit the tone bang on.

Forum Member
    i bought mine used for$90 ...i wouldnt pay the $250 new without trying other pedals...jcs

I bought my TS-9 used back in '83 or so for $15 and haven't found another that I better.
    I really just use it as a boost to give me the sound that I'd get if my Fender amp was cranked up to about 8.

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    Fulldrive 2 is the King of overdrive pedals (it's what I want out of a pedal anyway). I have an origional TS9 that I have with my rehersal rig. It sounds great to. My fave before I found the FD2 was the mid 80's Ibanez Super Tube that they made for a year or two. It was my main drive pedal from the mid 80's till a couple of months ago when I tried out my FD2.

Greg

One more for the (very expensive) FullDrive 2.
    Great pedal!

I`ve had the H&K Tube Factor, very warm tones for crunchy sounds and the tube thing is really great. But it isn`t a real overdrive pedal.:tw59
    Achim

crowther hotcake
    Regards, Dave Orban

ok so the tones I would look for from this pedal would be a nice bluesy drive in mode one and a marshall type tone in mode 2. Which of the FD2 and the H&K do you all think would do the job best.

Got a bunch of OD Pedals working...
    Boss SD-1 (modded to the TS-808 Circuit ),
    Fulltone Soulbender and a H&K Tubefactor (mostly used only with Factor 1 ).
    I will probably replace the SD-1 with a Sparkle Drive if I stumble over a cheap one....

cu

bluesfreak :smokin

TFF Stage Crew

FD2

I've been through a ton of them. Boss's, Tech21, Voodoo Labs, MXR, Mesa, multi-effects, amp-channel-only, etc. etc.... and for me and my Tone needs, it's Fulltone FD2 into clean Fender Amps.
    Last edited by Jack w/his radar; 09-09-2002 at 12:43 PM.

Forum Member
    Almost anything by Menatone, but my absolute favorite is the Dirty Blonde - I just bought my second one so I can keep one at medium gain and one with the gain dimed. Appropriately enough for this Forum, the pedal is an abused Blonde Bassman on the verge of self-destruction in a stompbox. Spitty and nasty and snarly, just the way you like it!
    It is a bit embarrassing to have been concerned with
    the human problem all one's life and find at the end
    that one has no more to offer by way of
    advice than "try to be a little kinder."
    -Aldous Huxley, novelist (1894-1963)

Fulltone Fulldrive II

The original Ibanez tube screamer
    Aaron
    Alias: Fat Dog Lee
    Play it like ya mean it.
    http://www.groups.msn.com/aaronsclub

John Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive.

Klon

Overdrive tone is soooo subjective. I've owned or have owned a TS-9 (with Analogman brown mod), Lovetone Cheese Source; Klon; Barber Tone Pump; Stamps Overdrive; Pearl OD-05, Bass Fulldrive II, and a Crowther Hotcake.

Of all those, I use the Klon, Pearl, and Bass Fulldrive II the most. The Klon is a great boost that seems more like an amp accessory than an effect. The Pearl is smooth and very flexible and kicks my TS-9's butt. The Bass Fulldrive is like playing through a cranked SVT (and that's a good thing. :)) I dig them all.

Ken

Forum Member

OD

Ken, have you tried the Barber Deep Fryer bass OD pedal? It's the only OD I have ever found suitably designed for bass.

For, guitar, I use the Direct Drive. Got it a few months ago, I guess. It beats all.

Re: OD

Originally posted by 3rdStone
    Ken, have you tried the Barber Deep Fryer bass OD pedal? It's the only OD I have ever found suitably designed for bass.

For, guitar, I use the Direct Drive. Got it a few months ago, I guess. It beats all.
    Two other ones I guess I'm going to have to check out sometime! ;) Thanks for the tip!

Actually, I was talking about those pedals for guitar. For bass, I run a stereo rig and run either a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz pedal (Maestro Bass Brassmaster copy) or a Marshall Guv'nor pedal on the highs into a 2x10 cab. The lows go into a big 1x15. Yum! :)

Forum Member

Re: Re: OD

Originally posted by Ken
    ....Actually, I was talking about those pedals for guitar....
    I know, but I ran into you on another thread about basses. It turns out we both have the Fender RBV. Since this thread is about OD's and you play bass, too..........

Originally posted by FatStrat
    ok so the tones I would look for from this pedal would be a nice bluesy drive in mode one and a marshall type tone in mode 2. Which of the FD2 and the H&K do you all think would do the job best.
    The H&k Tube Factor.
    "Blue horse-shoe loves Andicott Steel"

Fulldrive II, hands down!

I would like a Fulldrive II, but I would have to import it and at the price of a Standard Stratocaster I think I will make do with the Boss Blues Driver which aint all that cheap either at $300nz!
    ~Roll it, and I'll just feel something~

Forum Member
    kebmel, isnt the hotcake made in new zealand? jcs

Forum Member
    2 Ibanez TS-808's ( or analogmans TS9/808). One set for clean boost and one for drive.

Forum Member

Barber Electronics?

I have recently discovered the Barber products...What can anyone tell me about them and how they work with a Fender SFDR...I am curious about the Direct Drive mentioned earlier in the thread and the Burn Unit...
    Thanks,
    GFM

Forum Member

Re: Barber Electronics?

Originally posted by GuitarsfromMars
    I have recently discovered the Barber products...What can anyone tell me about them and how they work with a Fender SFDR...I am curious about the Direct Drive mentioned earlier in the thread and the Burn Unit...
    Thanks,
    GFM
    I have both of the pedals you mentioned, plus the Tone Pump.

The Direct Drive offers the flavor of many amps from classic Marshall to vintage Tweed overdrive to modern California. Pull the tone knob (push/pull) for saturation and you will get the closest thing a pedal has ever offerred to the Robben Ford tone. It also does the best Tube Screamer ever, while keeping a full, tight bass. Turned back, it is sparkly clean, cranked is Voodoo Child mayhem. This is the only pedal I have owned that acted like an amp - it's dynamic presentation is unparalleled. It cleans up when you roll back the guitar volume and is clearer, more articulate, and less noisy than other pedals. It has the "truest" bypass of anything I've played.

Compared to the Burn Unit, the DD is not as dark or grainy - or as compressed. Although the Nashville players have discovered the BU for their Teles (I have too), I think the BU does it's best work w/ humbuckers. The Tone Pump, which is less compressed than the BU and closer to a OD/Boost pedal, works best with single coils - it loves Strats through Fender amps. The DD excels with any guitar/pup/amp combination.

All of the Barber pedals work well with Fender amps (I own several Fender amps), but the DD is the cat's ass. The BU and the TP make your sound more of what it already is (the TP more so than the BU) - Fenders amps sound more Fendery and Strats sound more Stratty. With the DD, you can turn your clean Fender SFDR into a classic Marshall, an OD'd Tweed, a Dumble....and back into a SFDR. It's like a box of amps! I think it is the superior OD pedal on the market.

P.S. One of the moderators of the McInturff forum has posted a review of the DD in the Product Review section of the TCM Forum.
    Last edited by 3rdStone; 09-16-2002 at 06:27 AM.

Forum Member
    I have a Fulldrive 2 and a Voodoolabs Overdrive. Both are great, IMO. Both are true bypass, too. The VL seems to add a wallop of bass (along with gain and/or volume) when you turn it on, whereas the FD2 seems to slightly thin out the tone. This is going into an already driven tube head, not as the only source of OD/dist.

LOH

I've owned two Fulldrive II's and never should have bought the second one. They are hugely popular, but I can't get a decent sound out of mine in a concert volume situation. I guess it just ain't for me.

My fav. is the Menatone Blue Collar, so far.

Forum Member

Re: Re: Barber Electronics?

you can check http://www.harmony-central.com/Effec..._Drive-01.html
    cheers,
    bali
    Originally posted by 3rdStone

I have both of the pedals you mentioned, plus the Tone Pump.

The Direct Drive offers the flavor of many amps from classic Marshall to vintage Tweed overdrive to modern California. Pull the tone knob (push/pull) for saturation and you will get the closest thing a pedal has ever offerred to the Robben Ford tone. It also does the best Tube Screamer ever, while keeping a full, tight bass. Turned back, it is sparkly clean, cranked is Voodoo Child mayhem. This is the only pedal I have owned that acted like an amp - it's dynamic presentation is unparalleled. It cleans up when you roll back the guitar volume and is clearer, more articulate, and less noisy than other pedals. It has the "truest" bypass of anything I've played.

Compared to the Burn Unit, the DD is not as dark or grainy - or as compressed. Although the Nashville players have discovered the BU for their Teles (I have too), I think the BU does it's best work w/ humbuckers. The Tone Pump, which is less compressed than the BU and closer to a OD/Boost pedal, works best with single coils - it loves Strats through Fender amps. The DD excels with any guitar/pup/amp combination.

All of the Barber pedals work well with Fender amps (I own several Fender amps), but the DD is the cat's ass. The BU and the TP make your sound more of what it already is (the TP more so than the BU) - Fenders amps sound more Fendery and Strats sound more Stratty. With the DD, you can turn your clean Fender SFDR into a classic Marshall, an OD'd Tweed, a Dumble....and back into a SFDR. It's like a box of amps! I think it is the superior OD pedal on the market.

P.S. One of the moderators of the McInturff forum has posted a review of the DD in the Product Review section of the TCM Forum.

I second the John Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive.

Forum Member

Webb

Bill Webb makes a pedal called the Textosterone. It is a killer. Germanium based distortion/gain pedal. Big, fat, and throaty.

Webb?
    Were do find these Textosterone pedals?.I'm getting into these germanium OD's.. My current faves are G.S.Wyllie Overtron and Bob McBroom's Mcfuzz pedals.. Fat city......... Chuck
    Last edited by Chuck Snider; 11-28-2002 at 10:24 PM.

TFF Stage Crew
    Anybody tried the Blackstone? It sounds good on their website.

Tim C.

I need to look into that Textosterone.

My fave for a long time now is the Crowther Hotcake. Goes well with my Vox and Marshall

Man, I've gone through a lot of OD pedals: Marshall BB, Dano Daddy O, Boss SD-1, Sparkle Drive, Route 66, Ibanez, Tech21.

The Marshall wasn't bad, and I could have probably ended my search there...but what fun would that have been? :)

The Dano sounded very good for the money, but was a bit too noisey.

The Sparkle Drive was interesting, but I wasn't ever quite satisfied with it.

The Route 66 was quite good, also...but I had to keep searchin'.

The Tech21 SansAmp has a wide range, but sounded to artifical to my ears.

After all that, I wound up with a Boss BD-2 and an Ibanez TS-7 that both got the Keeley Mods. The mods made both pedals much more useful. I use the TS-7 and BD-2 together, one on each side of my wah pedal. Currently, I have the TS-7 in front of the wah. I haven't decided which pedal I want in the front position, yet, but it will probably be the BD-2.

The BD-2 does the clean boost thing best, while the TS-7 is better for OD to distortion sounds.

With the right settings using these two pedals can get anything from just a warmed up OD tone, woman tone (think Faith Hill in the kitchen), to heavily saturated distortion.

Would they work for you? Depends. Do you like Faith Hill? ;^)

I like my Maxon OD pedal, and my boss SD-1. Also my boss Blues Driver works pretty well, and for getting a little boost out of my amp i use my Marshall Blues Breaker.