Thread: Reverb...tank vs. pedal

Reverb...tank vs. pedal

So what's the story on the Fender tube reverb units versus using a good pedal for non-reverb amps. The tanks cost a bit...even the reissues in comparison. Are they worth it? Seems like they would be better..but how much better? I would like to have something that doesnt change the tone of the amp.. like a Replex does.
    "Blue horse-shoe loves Andicott Steel"

Forum Member
    Formerly Stroker Ace
    No reverb for me. Just a good old Ibanez analog delay.

A reverb tank is a lot better, you just can't duplicate that sound without springs.
    I would imagine even a re-issue or even non-tube driven reverb tank would be better than a solid state pedal.
    Danelectro has a pedal coming out with a real reverb tank in it. That might be interesting. It'll also be a lot cheaper!

Forum Member
    I have a reissue Fender reverb tank. It has an sound of its own that is very different from the built-in Fender amp reverb. It does affect the sound of the amplifier (for the better, imo). It's cool to have so much control over the reverb. Negatives: (1) its expensive; (2) its big and bulky -- unlike the new digital reverb pedals; and (3) it makes a lot of crashing sounds if you even breathe on it too hard. But, if you need "that" sound....

Forum Member

Reverb Tanks

A lot of players are selling their reverb tanks and getting Holy Grails. Not the "exact" sound but close enough for many. Much less to carry around, high quality, very "spring sounding" reverb without the "sproing" when bumped.

I live to use a reverb tank or, if it's not available aa analog delay.
    I don't generally like reverb pedals although I have not heard the Holy Grail.
    Last edited by Don; 02-08-2003 at 04:58 PM.

Forum Member
    Reverb is always something I've expected from my amps. If I can't get it from an amp, I go without.

Forum Member

What Amps with RI Reverb Unit?

I've got a '65 RI Twin Reverb, which gives an excellent surf sound with my '65 Jaguar.

Any reason to think a RI Reverb Unit would improve the sound of the Twin?

I tend to think it's not worth the extra cost, but I'm curious to hear what sort of amps (besides the reverb-less Bassman) you folks use the Reverb Unit with.

So-- you folks with RI Reverb Units-- what amp do you use?

Anybody use a Fender Twin Reverb with the RI Reverb Unit, and if so, why?
    Rock often, rock hard

Keep a look out for one of the "PREMIER" reverb not nearly as expensive as the Fender units.Work great.

TFF Stage Crew

Cheap Trick for Cool Reverb

For those of you that have an old Fender dual-channel amp:
    Take a guitar cord & solder an RCA jack on one end, a 1/4 jack on the other. Plug the RCA end into the "OUT" side of the reverb tank, the 1/4" end into the dry channel. The volume, treble, & bass really add to the shaping of the reverb, as opposed to one single knob on the reverb side.
    But an RV-3 works pretty good for what I need.

Forum Member
    I use mine with a Fender Bassman RI.

Re: What Amps with RI Reverb Unit?

Originally posted by rio45
    I've got a '65 RI Twin Reverb, which gives an excellent surf sound with my '65 Jaguar.
    Any reason to think a RI Reverb Unit would improve the sound of the Twin?
    I tend to think it's not worth the extra cost, but I'm curious to hear what sort of amps (besides the reverb-less Bassman) you folks use the Reverb Unit with.
    So-- you folks with RI Reverb Units-- what amp do you use?
    Anybody use a Fender Twin Reverb with the RI Reverb Unit, and if so, why?
    The tanks allow you to adjust dwell and you might get a little nicer surf sound, but there are also mods for that that can be done to the Reverb amps and as mentioned jumping into the normal channel gives you more tone control.

The standalone tank came out before the reverb amps and was intended as a way to add reverb to the brownface amps. That continued with the BF Piggybacks until CBS finally did the Bandmaster Reverb and DS-Reverb heads. Carl Wilson always had one plugged into his Dual Showman in the old days... Not sure if Dick Dale was Leo's inspiration or the fact that Ampeg came out with reverb amps first...

Forum Member
    Have any of you tried the holier grail?

TO 71818

HI THERE HOW DO YOU HOOK THIS REVERB TANK UP ?
    IT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA
    I AM CURIOUS
    WOULD THIS IDEA WORK ON MY REVERBLESS OLD BASSMAN HEADS ?
    IF SO HOW DO I PLUG IT IN TO WHICH JACKS ETC ????
    THANK YOU GUITARNOISE2002@HOTMAIL.COM
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

TFF Stage Crew

Re: TO 71818

Originally posted by LOU
    HI THERE HOW DO YOU HOOK THIS REVERB TANK UP ?
    Take a guitar cord & solder an RCA jack on one end, a 1/4 jack on the other. Plug the RCA end into the "OUT" side of the reverb tank (in the bottom of the cabinet), the 1/4" end into the dry channel. The volume, treble, & bass really add to the shaping of the reverb, as opposed to one single knob on the reverb side.

I AM CURIOUS
    WOULD THIS IDEA WORK ON MY REVERBLESS OLD BASSMAN HEADS ?
    IF SO HOW DO I PLUG IT IN TO WHICH JACKS ETC ????
    THANK YOU
    It won't work unless you have an amp with a reverb tank in it to begin with. It just gives you more control over the reverb.

reverb dude out there

hi again just to let you kno if you use pedals infront of your amp try boss they make killer reverbs pedals and delay pedals i forget which ones models i have stashed away in my gig bag for emergencys lol i basically only rely on my amplifiers built in true big reverb tanks its personal preference but to me less is more
    i think the more pedals plugged into eachother to me it colors my sound
    so i use as little as possible
    i buy my replacement reverb tanks from ampeg or victoria amps or torres engineeering great stuff
    man they are my fav
    i havwe this beautiful 18 inch ampeg v4 reverb tank i will install in my frankenstein amp as soon as i gety my el 84 power tubes it is a nice amp its a basic crate vintage 50 but i mess with it to get my tones its one of my projects i am thinking of making this very powerful amp chassis into a head version for portability asd i always use my old marshall slant cabinet and straight cabinet
    the bigger the reverb tank usually the richer more fuller wet reverb
    good lluck in finding your ideal piece of gear
    SINCERELY
    BLUELOU
    GODBLESS

Living in the body that is now called "grito"
    Whne I owned a Bassman amp, the Little Lanlie (sp?) was a nice pedal to have. It actually used a real spring tank to create the reverb. I have to try that fender reverb trick with my VR...

I tried a Boss RV5 last week and liked it a lot. Really flexible.

It was way better than the Dano "Spring Thing"? (which actually has a little tank in it), that I compared it with.
    I'm looking to add 'verb to my Princeton instead of selling it and getting something w/'verb.

Tommorrow I A/B an RV3 with the RV5 and decide. Then see if it keeps the Princeton out of the classifieds.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

TFF Stage Crew
    There are some passable reverb pedals out there but nothing beats the tone of a Fender Reverb Unit.

I run one of the reissue units in front of my piggyback Fender amps and wouldn't trade it for anything. I swapped out the stock 6V6 tube for an NOS RCA 6K6 and was pleased with the results. I am planning on doing the cap mod when time permits.

Forum Member
    No stomp pedal is gonna come close to a good reverb tank. If you think it will, you obviously haven`t spent any time with one!!

CT.:rolleyes: