Thread: How many inputs for a mixer?

How many inputs for a mixer?

Hi All,

This is a follow up to my last post. Over the weekend I picked up of ebay a peavey 300 series monitor amp. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these. My intention is to use it for mains for a while as I save $ to buy a larger amp.

Also, when it comes to the a mixer, how many inputs should I be looking for? We intend the board for live use and have a 4 piece, and mabye picking up a KB player. When I talk to the guys at the local music store, they recommend 16 channels min. I'm don't think I can afford something like that right now, and was considering something like these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/634264/

or

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...e_pid/631232X/

I guess what I'm asking is can a board with 4 to 6 XLR inputs and 2 to 4 stero channels cover us. I'm thinking we would use 3 vocals, mike the 2 guitars, Is it necessary to mike the bass? Can the drummer use his own mixer and line in to the main board? The keyboard line in also. I feel like I might this could work, but can see how it would be full and need something larger when we grow at all.

Thanks, for your help

Paul

Re: How many inputs for a mixer?

No reason to have a full 16 channels unless you're going to be micing all the drums. I have an 8-channel Behringer board (actually, 8 XLR's and 4 stereo line channels) and that is usually enough. You can get by with 6 XLR's but you're better off with 8 (3 vox, 2 gtr, bass DI box, Kick Drum mic, Snare/Hi mic and then the KB's through the stereo line channel(s).) Most places the bass player and drummer do not need to be mic'ed at all unless you're playing wicked loud. In fact, in some smaller venues we don't even mic the guitar amps.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

I've always used 12 channel boards.

Most of the time, I've had from 6-8 channels unused, which means the controls don't get turned and the posts get dirty and when you try to sell it, you're screwed.

Most of the clubs (I know, it's hard to believe I'm just a "Club Player" what with my enormous talent, good looks , and charm) I've played didn't require anything but the vocals to be amplified. Sometimes, I'd add a kick drum mic and add some direct bass to the PA mix , but that's about it.

How large are the venues you play?
    Not the ones you hope to play someday, the one's you play now?

I think a 6 channel board would get me through most of the gigs I could book in the next couple of years.
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

Thanks moonpie & rickenjangle,

We don't play out yet, but right now don't even have anything for rehersal. We just starting getting together, a few weeks ago for fun, and it looks like it will turn into something more.

I think I'll get one of these 3 boards, any suggestions for me?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...e_pid/631232X/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/...se_pid/634264/

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/.../base_id/88599

Even though the mackie has fewer imputs, is it that much better in quality over the behringer boards, that I should consider this a best buy?

Thanks, Paul

I can't get the links when I'm using Mozilla............I'll check with my IE later and see the systems you mentioned.
    How many of you sing? I don't mean how many say they can or will????

IMHO- In your present situation, a six channel powered mixer with a pair of speakers will get you towards your goal. As you grow (and learn to use the stuff you have) you can expand into a more powerfull system and use what you already have for monitors or smaller gigs.

Cyber, I think I'd be getting the Behringer, the last one in the list just because I think you'll need the expansion room sooner rather than later. I know and agree with you on the Mackie quality, but in my experience, most people wouldn't be able to hear the difference. I like Mackie, but never buy it because I need to get the best bang out of my dollar. You know, "I need the board now and can't wait six more months to get the Mackie, the freakin gig is tomorrow!"
    As I said in one of the other threads, I have the Behringer PMX 2000 powered mixer running into two Kustom 10" wedge montors ($40 ea.) and we run that for practice sessions.
    When I get big and famous, I'll be able to afford the Makie's and powered JBLs. Until then, I make do with the cheaper stuff. Nobody has complained about the sound yet.
    If you think the Mackie has enough inputs, then go for it. It is a better unit as far as general concensus goes.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Hi,

Moonpie, we have 3 people sing. I had been considering a 6 channel powered mixer, and thought it would work well for us for a long time, but then recently bought a power amp. Now I'm going the other direction of a non powered mixer.

Now for the speakers, can you recommend something around $200 per speaker? Should I be looking only at 15's or should I consider 12's also. I guess I'm leaning toward 15's. Some brands I was considering were Peavey PR series, Behringer Eurolive, Squier SQ15, Nady THS. I'm leaning toward the peavey at the 200 price point, unless the squire, nady's or any other brand would be good to consider.

Thanks, Paul

Haven't heard the Peavey PRs but I read about them on MF this morning and was impressed.....less than 40 pounds......
    and they sound great, but who cares about that kind of stuff???

I would still go with a 6-8 channel powered mixer.

If you've decided to go with a stand seperate mixing board, get the best you can afford and plan to use it for many many years.
    You can still upgrade your amps and stuff later.

WTF????? why is someone coming into my driveway???

I've got a 16-channel Behringer board in my home studio: 8 mics and 4 stereo lines. It's fine for what I do, but if I were you, I'd go with the Mackie that you linked to. The price is right, and the quality is head-and-shoulders above the Behringer. I've never had problems, but a lot of people have had Behringer gear break down on them.

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."