Thread: Seymour Duncan pickup booster pedal

Forum Member

Seymour Duncan pickup booster pedal

A good friend said this is one of the neatest pedals you can get for about $79. Anyone tried one? What exactly does it do?

SFX-01 Pickup Booster Pedal

Re: Seymour Duncan pickup booster pedal

From what I understand, it does not change the sound, but boosts it.

I don't know much more than that, plus what I read here....
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

Forum Member

tried one boosted the volume a lot .....but tried it at Gc and they only could hook it up to a SS peavy ...WTF so it's tonal qualities were pure shit, took 10 minutes for the guy to hook it up an it tried it for 3 minutes and gave up.... bought a mxr micro amp at a small shop, they put me into a old fender twin.

Still it boosted the volume a lot even at a low amp vol it would over load it like crazy and offered a wide range of boost

fezz parka

"...the resonant peak of a single coil pickup can be lowered". Limited more like it. You want humbuckers, play with humbuckers. You want boost, get a Bad Bob.

I use one and I like it ALOT.

I've moved a half a dozen out the door with no complaints.

You can never have too
    much music in your life.

Forum Member

Tone Quest Report

Here's what the September '04 issue of "Tone Quest Report" had to say about this pedal:

"The Duncan Pickup Booster - Once in a while, we discover a tool that embodies the essence of form, function and value. The last product to meet this criterion without reservation was the Holy Grail reverb pedal, and we’ve found another – Seymour Duncan’s Pickup Booster. Best of all, our discovery was quite by accident.

In the afterglow of the Clapton and Doyle Bramhall show, we were researching Fender’s aftermarket Clapton 25 dB mid-boost TBX kit when we found the Duncan Pickup Booster. Then we recalled that Peter Stroud had mentioned it as well, and for $79.00 at Musician’s Friend, we bit. The pedal arrived two days later and did not disappoint.

This effect couldn’t be any simpler, producing 6-25 dB of flat EQ gain, and it’s about as transparent as it gets. Another feature is the Pickup resonance Switch, which is designed to make a single coil sound like a vintage humbucker in the #1 position with a resonance shift down 2-3k Hz, or a high output humbucker in the #2 position with a resonance shift down 3-5k Hz. Very cool, and your guitars with single coil pickups are indeed transformed to wide-glide fatboys (especially Stratocasters).

But our favorite features of the Pickup Booster is the way it seamlessly functions as a dynamic extension of the volume pots on your guitar. Dialing back the guitar volume completely cleans up the tone so efficiently that the pedal acts as an external component in your wiring harness, similar to the 25 dB kit, but without any modifications to your guitar. We love the inexpensive, compact Pickup Booster simply for what it does. So will you."

TFF Stage Crew

Thank God for Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V. :hee

From what I heard of the SD booster pedal it seemed to interfer & lower the signal when it wasn't engaged. It was running into a 70s 100w Marshall with pre-amp at 7-8. It cut the distortion and signal strength as well. When it was active it boosted the signal quite a bit and sounded nice but the downside was when it wasn't active. The pedal was returned.