Thread: Fret ends- help & advice?

TFF Stage Crew

Fret ends- help & advice?

It's been a few years since I've refretted a guitar. So before I do the Musicmaster, I'm trying to get my chops back up by refretting an old tenor banjo. It was in someone's attic for decades & the temp extremes caused the fingerboard to fall off. It was lost through the years, so I salvaged one from a beater acoustic & off we go.
    Recently, I've been struck by the fret-ends on Santa Cruz guitars. Ever seen them? Incredible attention paid to this tiny space!
    Any techs have pointers or techniques they'd like to share about rounding the fret-ends?
    Here's the banjo neck:
    Last edited by Cogs; 03-20-2005 at 09:27 PM.

Re: Fret ends- help & advice?

Nice work 7 :yay
    If you leave the house, you're just asking for it.

TFF Stage Crew

Great work. I asked this question a couple years ago because my Godin LGX had "fret sprout" really bad after the winters. Not a lot of replies to that query either--seems like it's a secretive art. :)

TFF Stage Crew

If you EVER get the chance to check out a guitar from SCGC, take a look at the fret ends; I've never seen anything like it! Each fret looks as though it was drop-forged or something.

TFF Stage Crew

71818 - Check your email!

TFF Stage Crew

Won't have access until later tonight

I cut a block @ a 10 degree angle on my band saw. You can change it around depending on what you like. Clean it up by hand on a sander. Then I ds tape my mill file to that and use it as a guide to bevel the fret ends nice and even. I like to take them down to the point of taking off about .020 of fingerboard.

After that level and crown the frets, then go in and roll the ends of the frets. I use a small rectangle file with the short edges ground smooth. Then it's a rolling motion with the wrist. It's all feel and technique.
    Afterwards you can finish them off with a felt block and some 400 paper then 600 prior to polishing.

Forum Member

Santa Cruz style is similar to Frank Ford style. SC style is probably done slower and more carefully. In both cases, they use a 'cant saw' file. I've seen how the SC ends look, and I can appreciate the work, but I never felt I wanted my fret-ends to look like that. Supposedly they're quite comfortable, but the tops of the ends come to quite a point. I guess the point isn't felt by the hand, or bothersome to the hand.
    Now that I think of it, the SC style has a "Southwest" looking vibe to it, or something like that.