Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squier® '51...

Squier® '51...

anyone play one of these? i havent decided if i think its ugly or if its cool. either way any opinions would be cool

Duluth, MN. Birthplace of Bobby Zimmerman

Re: Squier® '51...

I just saw it advertised in a magazine. I think it's an incredibly cool concept...a guitar with the look of a '51 P bass.(?) :yay :yay I believe it has a HB in the bridge, which I personally could take or leave...but otherwise it looks really cool.
    "If you're cool, you don't know nothin' about it. It just is...or you ain't." - Keith Richards

I've been hankerin' for one ever since they came out. Only $174.00 on MF right now.
    Just a few more bucks to save up.
    If, at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving.
    Two leaps per chasm is fatal!

Forum Member

I have one in the burst finish/maple fretboard. I really like it and think it's quite a bit of guitar for the money. I hadn't played a Squier in a few years and it seems like the neck is beefier (front to back, not sure about nut width) than what I remembered.
    I like the electronics setup and find the overall sound and quality to be beyond satisfactory. My least favorite part is the bridge. Not so much the bridge (I don't mind top loaders) but the way you have to feed the strings through the back of the bridge then up through the center of the saddles when replacing strings. But like I said it's hard to complain at this price. I'm sure some of these will be modded and someone will address this issue. The tuners are nice and Gotohish. The neck has very little if any finish.
    I like the combination of strat style body contours and tele (location) controls. I always (used to before the volume buster) bump the volume knob with my pinky when playing strats but this layout solves that problem. This guitar is overall IMHO one of Fender's better new designs to come out in a while. A nice updated twist on a vintage guitar/bass that combines good elements of several Fender classics.

I tried a couple and I think they're damn cool.
    I probably wouldn't be able to resist buying one if the pickups were the other way around. Neck HB, bridge single. (plus I'm kind of anti-mega-huge gtr maker lately)
    The toploader; it didn't dawn on me until I was playing it for about 15 minutes and took a minute to look it over. I flipped it around and saw no ferrules. The neck size and profile is really nice.
    Very neat guitar.
    "Well, I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused..."
    Elvis Costello

Forum Member

I think zzsounds has them for less.

Top loader... makes no difference. Played many top loaders and they were all fine... even most of the Gibsons!

Old Tele man

zzounds is listing them for $149.95! Makes one wonder, "...WHY SO cheap?"!

Been fiending for one of these lately (especially for the 149.99 price). Gonna see if I can find one locally. I just saw the sunburst maple neck model that BillyWade mentioned and it looked damned cool! :)

I'm really tempted at $149. I played a sunburst model last week and was blown away by the quality/price ratio...and that one was priced at $185.

The necks do seem beefier than most recent Squiers, and the fretwork on the one I played was phenomenal.

I didn't spend much time fiddling with the volume/tone controls, and didn't realize that the pots are push/pull. Can anybody explain the layout to me?
    "Go Team Venture!"

I've had 1 on order since mid Nov........and nothing yet

....gettin the sunburst
    Imanidiot.

I started a thread on it earlier. I do want one.
    The Best Guitar Photos On The Net!
    Photoweborama

I might add that I was going to buy one until I decided to get my son the Les Paul in my Avatar... Well not this avatar.. the black Les Paul..
    Last edited by photoweborama; 12-26-2004 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Avatar changed
    Photoweborama

I finally got my backordered b-day present on Christmas eve. And I must say, I'm quite impressed.
    Imanidiot.

Yo Frank-
    So where'd ya get it from and drop any cool details about it as you get to play it more.:)

i got it from zzounds for $150 shipped!....

now how do you beat that? it's CII, and the build quality is incredible....again, considering it was $150!~

it has the coil tap for the HB, and a selector button/knob for a total of 5 pretty distinct sounds. I personally am not fond of a HB on a Fender, but it surely gives this axe a full range of tonal qualities....again, for $150!

i got the 2-tone SB color, and it appears to be a 4 pc (alder?) body that is pretty well matched, and a beautiful finish. They really have this down to a science!

and the neck feels nice and smooth, and i could swear it has rolled edges...or gosh-darn close (see tagline), dag-gummit!

now, it did take a month or so b/c it was backordered, but....

for $150 SHIPPED, how could you NOT afford to have one?!?

FRANKIE SAYS.... :yay
    Imanidiot.

Cool deal Franko! :)

I just ordered one from Zzounds as well. Well, actually, pre-ordered one. They're out of them but more are due on the 15th of this month. Won't be long.

Forum Member

I picked up one as a traveling guitar.
    Then forgot it at home the next day.... Dumbass manuever #425.

Seemed nice. Want to use it to learn how to do setups.

Still waiting for mine to come in.
    They moved the backorder date three times now. Now due in a Zzounds on the 4th of Feb.

I've been trying to talk my son into this guitar. He wanted an Epi SG, but he played my new Tele and really liked it. I think this would be a good compromise between the two.

But even at 10, he has become such a gear snob.. Does not want any Squier stuff at all. I told him in this case, it's THE guitar. You can't get it in Fender. They don't make a Fender equivalent.
    Photoweborama

Got mine yesterday.

I'm trying a new set of strings today, but so far, I like it a lot -- very different from either my Jazzmaster or my SG Special.
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Mine finally came in from Zzounds on Friday. I got a chance to look it over and initial impressions are that it's pretty good for a buck-fifty. No one will ever think it's much more than that. Usually, first thing I check is intonation and then fret trim.
    On this one, the frets are pretty darn good. The intonation had me worried at first but looks to be OK. I think theres one string that needs a saddle adjustment. Fit and finish was good and all the knobs were tightened correctly. There is a burnish mark on the neck that shouldn't be there but it dosen't affect anything but looks. Looks like the sander/polisher got a little out of hand near the edgs at fret 10.
    All-in-all, look like it'll be OK.
    Sound. I played it through my Blues Jr. then the Tweed Princeton, then the Marshall MG 30 Rcd. (SS). This guitar likes them all but in different positions of the selector knob. The BLues Jr. likes the neck PU best. Nice and creamy. The Princeton likes the bridge (HB) split to single coil, and the marshall liked the humbucker full on. I could get decent tone out of all positions in any of the amps, but the preceeding list was where each sounded best.
    Boy, it's a thin guitar, good thing the Princeton sustains for hours.

Picked one up today at Guitar Center...$149.00. I got the sunburst one, and it's the only one they had. I picked it up and played it, but didn't plug it in.

Mistake.

Got home, and the bridge pickup doesn't come on when the selector is in the bridge position. Seems to come on in the middle selection, but not the bridge only. I'm kinda pissed.

I'm sure it's some sort of short, but I'm wondering if it's something I could fix myself.

Anyone else have a problem with the pickup selector knob on theirs?

I'd rather not go through the hassle of returning it or having them repair it if I don't need to.

Damn, damn, damn... :dead
    "I got Jackie Onassis in my pants." - The Dictators

- Scott.

If you were lucky enough to get one of these that was playable, I'm happy for you.
    http://www.squierguitars.com/reposi...507_product.jpg

I took one off the wall last week in a local store 'cause I really thought it looked neat.....still do like the looks.
    But, I tried to play the dang thing for 20 minutes and it was horrible...horrible.
    Cheap IS cheap. Getting a "guitar" for $149.00? I don't think so.
    It would not stay in tune for five minutes...honestly...and on close examination was very "unfinished" looking: the metal pieces had been poorly cast from sub-grade material, the nut looked like that cheap plastic that disintegrates in sunlight (like from the 50's), the finish and body were both very thin and lifeless.
    It was NOT a bargain even at the $149.00 price tag. It wasn't even worth, in my estimation, the time it would take to make it into a real guitar.

Okay, mine plays great. I put GHS Boomers on it -- bigbig sound. Fixed the intonation to match the new strings. Stays in tune for a couple days, much like any other guitar of reasonable quality.

The neck pup sounds okay, just not with any distinct character.

So I went nutz. I ordered a custom black/cream/black pickguard & a Seymour Duncan Lipstick pup. Installed both yesterday.

Now, I'm happy... really happy!... Playing "Rumble" -- start on the neck pup, go to the neck & bridge (coil tapped), then the bridge alone (coil tapped), then finish up on the full humbucking bridge pup... sounds like I want it to sound...

I love the action on mine.

They seem to be of the quality control that you want to play a few before you find one of value. I know I found mine.
    Last edited by VibroCount; 03-16-2005 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added phtot
    Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. -- Pete Seeger

Well, we tried to fix the bad switch on mine, and we got the bridge pickup to come on, but then the neck-only position wouldn't work.

So...I decided to just exchange it since Guitar Center had gotten in another sunburst one.

I actually played this one in the store before I left with it and compared it to the one I had originally bought. It felt and sounded a little different, but not enough to make me want to go through the hassle of changing out that switch.

But when I got it home...it sounded much better than the original one. Not nearly as mushy.

So...I decided to warm up some amps and track with it. I recorded a little riff/song idea I had come up with the night before.

It's a quick arrangement with a bridge part I made up just before deciding upon the arrangement. Everything's pretty much a first take...just to get the idea down. Recorded to a Fostex XR-5 cassette 4-track and mixed down to my iriver H320 mp3 player. Amp on the right side is my Peavey Classic 50 410. Amp on the left side is my HIWATT Lead 100R. I should have recorded two different pickup settings, but eh...I didn't think about it at the time...both tracks are the bridge pickup.

Here's a link to a PureVolume page I set up to host this mp3. It's the only song in the player ("Untitled 1"). There must be something with the way PureVolume streams because it sounds much better on my mp3 player and my computer...but you can get the idea.

Link to song recorded with Squier '51

- Scott.

I got to play Mikey's and I was very impressed. This guitar is so tempting to me 'cause I'd like a guitar that I don't have to be careful with. The playability was very good for a guitar in this range, and the sounds were useful and varied, the intonation was not bad, and certainly on par with my Gretsch Hollowbody as it came from the factory. Played it all evening through a Blues Jr.

I like it. Wish I had 2 pennies to rub together, I'd buy one for me and one for my son...

I like the Butterscotch Blonde one...but then again, aren't blondes more fun anyway?

JB

"I'm gonna find myself a girl
    that can show me what laughter means
    And we'll fill in the missing colors
    In each other's paint-by-number dreams..."

After seeing and hearing Mikey's I'd have to say it's on eof the best buys out there today. Very versatile and sounds great.

Fenderboy- are you sure you were looking at the same axe? This thing is a steal for a buck and a half.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

have a sunburst one. I replaced the pickguard with one from pickguardian.com (he's making replacements and is great to do buisness with) I also changed out the tuners in favor of klusons. I really dig this guitar.

Forum Member

I've been jonesin for one these myself. I gotta admit I really like my Squier Tele and my Cyclone. To all the gear snobs out there, go ahead and look down yer nose at 'em! It just means more cool guitars for those of us who like good guitars at looooowww prices. I've played a few of the 51's and didn't find any problems other than trying to figure out how to get the various configurations at first. Once I figured it out, it was a fun guitar to play. Really like the Blondes and I'm looking to trade an Epi Special 2 for one.

I just put a 60's reissue neck on it that I got for another project. I'll probably keep it on there for a little while.

The Lipstick Blonde got her first public performance tonight:

Chuck Berry Beat, Yellow Jacket, Maverick's, Summertime, Night Train, Watermelon Man, Green Onions, Pink Panther Theme, Peter Gunn...

Forum Member

that's a great photo, vibrocount. i love the lipstick pickup!

i'm very very tempted by one of these guitars. i'm going to california in a couple of weeks, i think if i see/try a nice, fairly cheap one, it'll be coming home with me :)

Forum Member

i got a black one today. it reminds me of a 58 musicaster i once had. the neck pup is in the same position. this is one great axe! i have a real 62 strat, a 55 jr, and a 56 goldtop. this thing really has my attention. sounds just fine too me thru a 65 non-reverb deluxe. will be using it on the next gig. i will love using a 150 dollar guitar and seeing all the cork sniffers start bitching. so far i can dial in a nice strat tone, a tele tone, and a paul tone. could this thing be the answer to our prayers?

I saw a black one with a sparkly green moto pickguard & the neck pup cover left off so the pickup would be black instead of white. It was very nice looking.

OK well I finally got the chance to play a few of these and I have to say I'm truly interested in getting one. I think moving the neck pickup so that its in the normal strat neck pickup spot and putting a HB sized p90 in the bridge and a bigsby I already have on it would make it a really great guitar. The neck was awesome too!

*sigh*

I bought another one. GC had a vintage blonde with black pickguard, finally.

And yes...also got the Squier Tele Custom.

Got both of 'em out-the-door, tax, tag & title (and 2 straps) for $350.00.

- Scott.

I went and played one last night. Other than playing a beat up store model, I was impressed. It just needed some new strings and a truss rod adjustment, and it would be there! I think I am going to pick one up as well. I wouldn't mind ordering online so there's no tax, but I'm worried about getting a bad one, since I've heard quailty varies.

-peace
    -nate

i have 2, and they have 2 diff necks.. my BB has a maple capped maple neck w/ hotter pups....... my other is a SB model, and it has a 1-pc maple neck.

kinda weird, don't cha think?

and yea, i have NO IDEA what guitar Fenderboy played.
    FB, crack is bad for you!

FRANK52 SAID::::got a black one today. it reminds me of a 58 musicaster i once had. the neck pup is in the same position. this is one great axe! i have a real 62 strat, a 55 jr, and a 56 goldtop. this thing really has my attention. sounds just fine too me thru a 65 non-reverb deluxe. will be using it on the next gig. i will love using a 150 dollar guitar and seeing all the cork sniffers start bitching. so far i can dial in a nice strat tone, a tele tone, and a paul tone. could this thing be the answer to our prayers?

FRANK, that is an amazing compliment. :yay
    Imanidiot.

and what ever happened to the 51 modders club forum?
    Imanidiot.