Thread: Robert Cray

TFF Stage Crew

Robert Cray

Last night I was listening to some Robert Cray.

I like his work but does anyone else think his songs are almost too perfect?

It's almost like they are played from a music score without the personal reflection and feeling normally associated with the blues.

Tim C.

Forum Member

Re: Robert Cray

Originally posted by Tim C.
    Last night I was listening to some Robert Cray.

I like his work but does anyone else think his songs are almost too perfect?

It's almost like they are played from a music score without the personal reflection and feeling normally associated with the blues.

Tim C.
    Yup; totally agree. Have a few of his cds, but always program. If I don't, they just run one into another until it almost sounds like one long & lifeless monologue. Saw him in concert a few years ago in Boston and thought same thing (but cdn't program his set list, unfortunately). RC cd borrow a page from SRV in creating more highs & lows; giving his tone some depth & range. Do love "Foul Play" from STRONG PERSUADER, tho. :2c

Wow......I've never thought of his stuff as being too "perfect". Highly polished backing tracks and his vocals, but I've always thought his leads were pretty edgy. I've heard many leads that weren't technically perfect - a sloppy lick here, an off-time note there, etc. But they all have a huge amount of energy.

The one area of tedium I'll agree with you on tho - is his lyrical content. It seems like EVERY song is about a love-gone-bad or cheating. Makes you wonder of the guy has ever had a good relationship in his life. That's the blues for ya, tho.......

Mark

TFF Stage Crew
    Originally posted by Spose

The artists that take it to the edge are willing to take chances at the risk of blowing it big time. That's what will bring me to a show, otherwise I'd rather stay home and play with my friends..:bigal :spose
    Exactly, I might as well pull out the CD or album and save the ticket cost.

I like Cray and I have much of his music. It just doesn't move me as much as some other artists.

He doesn't seem to do a whole lot of the slower blues where you get a truer sense of the artists expression.

Tim C. :)

Forum Member
    I happen to be a big RC fan and have seen him live.His playing is near perfect and his live shows do seem to be stright off the record but his chord playing and lead playing is superb imo. It may seem like there is no feeling but when you sit 5 ft. away from him and watch his prowess on the fretboard it is truly amazing.Did I mention how hard it is to sing as good as he does and play at the same time,he is one of my favorite singers.One thing Robert does do well is make sure his rythm playing fits well with the ohter band members, he is not about standing out from the rest of his group but more into making his group work together as a whole.HIs playing may seem perfect but you don't see as many bands as tight and dead on as the RC band.
    Last edited by Gazza; 09-03-2002 at 11:03 AM.

Forum Member
    I have seen robert many times live, on about every tour since "I was warned" Yeah he doesn't step out there with his solos, and yeah, he dosen' have srv tone or anything like that,he for sure doesn't have very many positive songs. But... he is a rhythm playin' God. I like his out of phase clean strat tone. His simple solos are quirky and kind of hard to play (in a weird sort of way, I don't think like that, also he puts a lot of inflections in with his style.) Saying he has an amazing voice is an understatement. The memphis horns are awsome!! Nobody gives ya' the blues like Robert. My friend was like "gosh I've been listening to bob for a hour and I want to go cry myself to sleep or drink myself into a stupor." The few times I have been on the loosing end of love, a little bob(or hank williams) and I'm feeling better in no time. He has some great songs in his catalog and a good songwriter. I love "our last time" off "I was warned" that is one heck of a blues song! As far as his live shows, his earlier shows were much more firey, lately they have been pretty refined. I personally don't like his new stax sounding stuff as much, but to each his own. Polish is his thing and he is good at it! He just lays down a groove and plays for the song. Sometimes it is a nice change of pace. Robert opened quite a few doors for me. My first blues concert was Robert at the age of 16. After hearing him I had to go out and get a strat. His cd's in my early days led me to BB. King (blues summit,) John lee hooker (this is hip), albert king (i'm in a phone booth,) albert collins (shame and a sin and showdown.) johnny copland (showdown.) and eric clapton (cray wrote old love off of unplugged) Bob played with everybody on some of his early stuff.

I am going to see him again on Saturday at the Val Air Ballroom in Des Moines...but it is really to see Jr Watson open for him!! I think I'll stay a few songs of bob's before I go over to the Grand to catch jr's other set

I saw him live a few years back. And, although I thought he was good, his guitar tone was a bit bland and subdued. Maybe I’ll get to see him again one of these days, and compare.

I saw him about 15 years ago at a small club in Providence.
    He was playing in a show with John Lee Hooker, John Hammond Jr., The night Hawks and Elvin Bishop.
    I watched these guys from 10 feet away.

He was great. His tone was amazing. It was sugary sweet. That's how I felt about it. Great voice.

I saw him a few years later at a much bigger venue and it wasn't nearly as good.

I think the music doesn't cut it without the intimacy of a small place.