Thread: torres pickups

Forum Member

torres pickups

I was looking the torres engineering site and noticed that they have started winding their own pickups. Has anyone had any experience with these?

They're a local company here. Guys around here say they're better than Fralin, Duncan or anyone else hands down. But I personally havent heard them yet. I'm thinking of trying a set in a project guitar, but...Torres doesnt display output readings on his site. I'm going to be talking to them this week.

Forum Member
    Bluejazzmalsteen,

let me know what you find out. I have purchased many products from them in the past, but have not really heard anything about his new pickups. I'm not in the market right know, but will be in the near future. Have to pay for a recent amp purchase.

thanks.

Forum Member
    anyone? :[

someone has to have heard these pickups or know someone who either has them or heard them?

I'm just really curious about them. everyone on harmony central seems to like them, how about the fender forum?

thanks, badcat.

I talked to Torres yesterday about their Strat "Vintage"...and "Blues" pups.
    The Blues pups ohm reading is: 6.5 neck, 6.7 middle, 7.0 bridge.
    I ordered these 10% overwound.
    The "Vintage" pups are 5% underwound from the Blues model.
    Im trying these because I wasnt impressed with Fralin Blues Specials. I tried them in two strats and they added very little for money.
    "Blue horse-shoe loves Andicott Steel"

Forum Member
    I have a set of fralin blues in my tele. My biggest complaint is the noise, but that's my fault for not taking time to shield the pu cavity better when installing. As soon as I get a new set of pups for my strat I'm going to shield them both and reinstall the pickups. Let me know how they sound compared to the fralins when you get them installed. :wail2

Well....the Torres Blues pups are in the Hwy1 Strat now.
    I ordered the Blues pups to be 10% overwound and they ended up about 15% overwound. 7.4/N 7.7/M 8.0/B
    They have plenty of sustain. The tone isnt overly bright onthe bridge pup..which is a good thing.
    As far as the personality of the tone...I dunno..the jury is still out on that one. I first played it through my '62 Brown face Pro...then the '73 JMP 50 w/4x12. They sounded better through the Marshall. But I havent wound up that Pro yet with this guitar.
    They're stronger than the Fralin Blues specials I once had....more sustain etc. I like them better than the American Series for sure. So I've been comparing them to my '69 Strat RI. The Torres pups are a bit brighter....(my 69 RI is very warm creamy sounding....no bright treble spots).
    So there are good things about these pickups but...that sound is just different...not a typical strat sound. But like I said I still really need to try the higher volumes...or EQ settings to see where the sweet spot is. At this point I have no recommendations on these one way or the other except to say that they are a vast improvement over the stock '60 reissue MIM pups..or whatever they are.

One other reason Im little confused on these is that once the work was completed and I was playing this Hwy1...an hour later my 2002 '52 RI (used) had finally arrived. Out of the box and tuned up...it just absolutely blew away the modded Hwy1.
    "Blue horse-shoe loves Andicott Steel"

Just put a set in my 2002 JV

I like these pups alot. I purchased a vintage neck, blues bridge, and blues middle about 160 with tax and baseplate

I had a baseplate installed on the bridge pup. Very nice pups. In the neck position I hear Hendrix/SRV . It really screams

I play with the OD on all the time. Pups clean up real nice when I roll back the volume. Nice Hollow sound in the 2 & 4 and the Bridge is very usable. Very sensitive to pick attack whice is nice

I have had John shur v60, Fat 50, Dimarzio virtual 2, and SK specialities S90 in other guitars

In this guitar I had the stock Tex-max and duncan Antiquities. The new pups are exactly what I wanted

I think that once word spreads these will be very popular pups.